Sign in to follow this  
davethewave2

Open Clouds is released

Yes, it's working fine again, and even seems to load the weather faster. :(

Good news / bad newsNot sure what changed but I no longer have any 'flashing' so thats great...... but.....The bad news is, check the wind direction in the screen shot from my trusty ES CJ1+ :(

Jay

Good news / bad newsThe bad news is, check the wind direction in the screen shot from my trusty ES CJ1+ :(
379 degrees lol!I think the fault would be in your gauge, probably adding/subtracting magnetic variance but not handling values over 360 or under 0.The standard control tower has the same issue, imagine hearing this. Speedbird 123, clear to take off runway 09L, wind minus 10 at 15 knots!

379 degrees lol!I think the fault would be in your gauge, probably adding/subtracting magnetic variance but not handling values over 360 or under 0.The standard control tower has the same issue, imagine hearing this. Speedbird 123, clear to take off runway 09L, wind minus 10 at 15 knots!
Was there ever a fix for the flashing issue?

Jim Wenham

Was there ever a fix for the flashing issue?
The only 'fix' I found is to load the weather, then shut it down, and restart it again 50 miles or so out from destination. Weather doesnt usually change very fast so I dont need updates every 5-10 minutes.It's a bit of a pain but it works.

Jay

What's the latest update? I have v1.08.Cheers,MAB
Same here. I checked their website and that is the latest/greatest.Jim

Jim Wenham

1.08.1 is the latest release.It is exactly the same as 1.08 apart from further language support for Danish, Chinese(Simple), Dutch, Portugese, Swedish, Turkish and Greek. I checked who was downloading it most and added the language support, hows that for service :-)1.08.2 might be out next week, this is planned to include more realistic icing. Please see my post in this thread for more info. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/323006-icing-in-fsx/..and I forgot to say, since 1.07, major releases are now automaticaly updated so you don't have to worry about being out of date any more.

1.08.1 is the latest release.It is exactly the same as 1.08 apart from further language support for Danish, Chinese(Simple), Dutch, Portugese, Swedish, Turkish and Greek. I checked who was downloading it most and added the language support, hows that for service :-)1.08.2 might be out next week, this is planned to include more realistic icing. Please see my post in this thread for more info. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/323006-icing-in-fsx/..and I forgot to say, since 1.07, major releases are now automaticaly updated so you don't have to worry about being out of date any more.
Will the update address the flashing issue at all?Jim

Jim Wenham

Thanks Dave for your reply.I have finally seen the "flashing": I normally do long flights (around 2,000nm) and I can say the flashing comes and goes during a flight depending on the density of the clouds as the plane goes along. I think it has to do with the graphic card, mine is a Nvidia GTX-285. I wonder if ATI users have the same problem? When I get tired of the flashing I go back to the cockpit and they go away from my monitor. I get too much pleasure out OpenClouds.Do not forget to make Icing selectable just in case.Cheers,MAB

Icing will of course be a selectable option!Now the flashing issue. As Jim said before, this is a bug in the way simconnect clients inject weather into fsx. It is not PC or graphic card effected. I have looked at lots of ways of trying to overcome the problem with no joy. There are of course lots of work arounds, I could inject all the weather in one go, I could stop updates from happening etc. Alas all options come with drawbacks. I have choosen to leave the current update in at the moment as it is a good compromise between initial load time and keeps weather up to date without affecting fsx performance. This does mean that the flashing can be visible at times but my own group of flyers in fsopen have not raised it as an issue so I think I'm making the right choice here for the majority of users.I want open clouds to be simple to use but give you the best real weather possible. What I don't want to do is add in lots of options for this and that that may put some people off and secondly encroaches on ASE's territory. Lets be honest ASE is always going to give you a lot more control but that's why you have to pay for it!Hopefully Microsoft will spend a bit more time on the weather engine in the next version. Microsoft and/or Jeppeson really have made a hash in fsx imho.