Sign in to follow this  
bojote

Automated Tweaking and Tuning tool for FSX

*******,For me, the auto-tuner quite seriously underestimates my machine's potential. I had excellent results before running and accepting the edits to FSX.cfg and after the edits scenery is blurry by comparison, though the toughest sequences (KJFK in the PMDG 747 in dense weather w/ HD clouds-2048) run very well now whereas they were marginal at times w/ my old .cfg. I will save this new .cfg and only use when I have extreme complexity to process. It appears mainly these tweaks are in the area of BUFFERPOOLS which I have disabled at [bufferPools] UsePools=0, Affinity Mask at 14, and LOD at 2.6 instead of 4.5 as it is in my old .cfg, plus autogen down one more notch.I am continually struck by how well my current .cfg runs the sim, w/ really really clear IQ and smoothness, thanks to all of your advice.Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

after the edits scenery is blurry by comparison
Thanks Noel! I did a couple more adjustments. Really appreciate the feedback!

Guest PFL

I have the same experience as Noel!But it´s a great tool, and of course we can adjust the suggestions from the tool, because every PC setup is different...

Just a little suggestion. No big deal really, but it would be nice if the suggested cfg kept the comments/remarks tooGreat job once again Jesús. Thanks

I also changed back the LOD. I don't believe sharper textures really hurt performance (LOD wise) unless you have a GPU with very slow memory or too less memory.Besides it looks like crap with low LOD settings

I also changed back the LOD. I don't believe sharper textures really hurt performance (LOD wise) unless you have a GPU with very slow memory or too less memory.Besides it looks like crap with low LOD settings
Well, LOD does not mean sharper textures only. It affects, for example, how many AI aircraft FSX must handle at one given time.To Bojote:The tool works very well for me, even though I reverted back one or two new settings.I think it would be interesting if there was a version number on the tweaking tool's homepage and in the header of the generated FSX.CFG file.So if you change ("improve", tune) anything in the tweaking tool, we would know if you have an out of date tweaked FSX.CFG.msduran.

A big thumbsup for your efforts there, Bojote. This thing works easy and very professional and at least gives a tweak oriented user something to start and practice with.

Just want to say Thanks! for all your hard work. I fly the Duke and Mustang and using Nick's tweaks, I had things working pretty good since upgrading to the 460 card. I just ran your tool and dumped the new .cfg file in and it made a world of difference in the smoothness. I flew the Mustang into KATL with a lot of clouds on approach and it worked like a charm. It is guy's like you and Nick who make this a wonderful hobby. Thanks again!!

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

tryed it with prepar3d and it worked once yesterday now when i try it it says not a fsx file did you change something there :)

Tried. Halved my FPS for me (I think real drop is about 20%, but due to VSync in windowed, FPS drops half when testing with my JS41). Sorry :Sigh:But if it's working for other ppl, great work!

tryed it with prepar3d and it worked once yesterday now when i try it it says not a fsx file did you change something there :)
Yes. The tool now only reads ANSI type files. Not utf8/Unicode. And I can't convert utf8/Unicode to ANSI without messing paths or file names. So, I decided to only allow ANSI type uploads.How to solve the above? well.. save a copy of your fsx.cfg file to your desktop and MAKE SURE it is saved as type 'ANSI' you'll see the type option under the name in the dialog window.

Hi *******,Some extra feedback.Tried the tool on my setup and as I half expected it didn't do much with my CFG. I think I've been applying all your tweaks and adjustments as they've been developed. A few things, one of which surprised me: I had a fiber Time Fraction of 1, after a recent revelation that this is what you used. It said this was way off and the parameter should be removed ...? I think you were wavering between .75 and 1? Removed would take it down to the default of .33 ...?The other two recommendations, one of which it applied (I was in "conservative" mode) was to reduce my cloud range (I use max) and the other, the one it made, was SOUND_LOD=1 instead of =0. Not sure what that does.Note that I'm using an i7-980X overclocked to 4.65GHz, with an overclocked GTX-480 and 6Gb RAM at 2000 Hz. All this is a bit over the max I could tell your tool about.Best RegardsPete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Tried the tool on my setup and as I half expected it didn't do much with my CFG. I think I've been applying all your tweaks and adjustments as they've been developed.
Yes, there's not much it will do if you were already using tweaks.
A few things, one of which surprised me: I had a fiber Time Fraction of 1, after a recent revelation that this is what you used. It said this was way off and the parameter should be removed ...? I think you were wavering between .75 and 1? Removed would take it down to the default of .33 ...?
The tool adds SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=2, this tells the terrain engine that it should only wait 2 frames before assuming a tile/texture is already loaded in video memory, TextureMaxLoad=30 ENSURES that the textures load into video memory very fast so that SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=2 won't give you any trouble. With this settings, having FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACION over 0.75 is too much! and 'default' 0.33 is enough, thats why the tool will remove it. So, it is in fact doing what is supposed to. The tool doesn't just check individual values ;) but the 'balance' needed to make the values work optimally.
The other two recommendations, one of which it applied (I was in "conservative" mode) was to reduce my cloud range (I use max) and the other, the one it made, was SOUND_LOD=1 instead of =0. Not sure what that does.
Sound LOD only makes sense when using AI traffic with custom sounds. This 'custom' sounds load the D3DX engine, UNLESS you have SOUND_LOD=1 which forces AI models to use standard FS9 style (generic) sounds (prop/jet)
Note that I'm using an i7-980X overclocked to 4.65GHz, with an overclocked GTX-480 and 6Gb RAM at 2000 Hz. All this is a bit over the max I could tell your tool about.
I'm pretty sure you already have an optimized setup. Are you 100% satisfied with how FSX runs? what would you change? where do you think you are having the most issues? is it with stuttering? low FPS? FPS fluctuation? Evidently the feedback is for making the tool better :) it is not yet self aware!