Sign in to follow this  
bojote

Automated Tweaking and Tuning tool for FSX

Hello *******,I have ran your Automated Tweaking Tool, and I got the results and paste, and save them on a note pad doc.Questions: (1)So, I need go to my FSX folder, look for the " fsx.cfg" and delete it completely, and then paste (add), the fsx.cfg that was generated by your tool, correct?(2) I am using an Nvidia 580 card with the latest drivers...Do I need to adjust anything on the Nvidia 3D control pannel (anti-Asialing..etc..etc), or should I use only Nvidia-Inspector ?(3)I tried to use the Nvidia-Inspector and I noticed there is not an option for FSX, should I apply the "Global Settings" ? I could find FSX as an option among the other applications to choose from.(4) Affinity Mask...I keep reading about "Affinity Mask= 14" Was this automatically set when I used your tweaking tool, or do I need to adjust this within the "fsx.cfg" file, manually?Thanks,John

Unless someone flies in the same FSX location's you do, while using the same aircraft and scenery addons as you have, any tweaks recommended are probably not going to be 100% appropriate.The best setup I found was what Orbx recommended in their PNW manual when flying with their scenery installed. I have been 100% satisfied with my setup since then and haven't tried any additional tweaks in the fear of sending FSX in a downward spiral.Of coarse for those who enjoy tweaking more than flying, go for it.Regards, Mike Mann
Hi Mike,do you mind sharing those tweaks with us ?

Hi Mike,do you mind sharing those tweaks with us ?
Better yet here is the link for obtaining their manual: http://fullterrain.c...uct_nablue.htmlNear the top of the page is a link to download the PDF User Guide which includes all setup and tuning information.Regards, Mike Mann

I have ran your Automated Tweaking Tool, and I got the results and paste, and save them on a note pad doc.
John, let me suggest a little trick:Upload your fsx.cfg file and have the automated tweaking tool analyze it (use the Normal setting). Download the tweaked file and save it INSIDE your FSX Root directory with the name:
custom_fsx.cfg

Now, create a shortcut (in your desktop) of the fsx.exe file inside the FSX root directory. The EXE file, not the .cfg you just downloaded!Now, EDIT the shortcut TARGET and add the following. You should have something like this: "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe"Change the above path in the shortcut TARGET so it looks like this: "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe" /CFG:custom_fsx.cfgNotice the new setting you just added:

/CFG:custom_fsx.cfg

It tells FSX to use a different fsx.cfg file, in this case, one called: custom_fsx.cfg the file NEEDS to be in your local FSX root path.Now double click the shortcut you just edited and it will use the custom_fsx.cfg file without having to modify your original fsx.cfg. if you don't like the changes, you delete the shortcut, it can't get easier than that.Anyway, the above approach can be used to 'test' .cfg files from the tweaking tool. If you like the results, great, replace your original fsx.cfg with the tweaked one, if you don't then simply delete the shortcut. That way, if you don't like the results you can easily undo the changes and you won't feel you wasted your time.

John, let me suggest a little trick:Upload your fsx.cfg file and have the automated tweaking tool analyze it (use the Normal setting). Download the tweaked file and save it INSIDE your FSX Root directory with the name:
custom_fsx.cfg

Now, create a shortcut (in your desktop) of the fsx.exe file inside the FSX root directory. The EXE file, not the .cfg you just downloaded!Now, EDIT the shortcut TARGET and add the following. You should have something like this: "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe"Change the above path in the shortcut TARGET so it looks like this: "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe" /CFG:custom_fsx.cfgNotice the new setting you just added:

/CFG:custom_fsx.cfg

It tells FSX to use a different fsx.cfg file, in this case, one called: custom_fsx.cfg the file NEEDS to be in your local FSX root path.Now double click the shortcut you just edited and it will use the custom_fsx.cfg file without having to modify your original fsx.cfg. if you don't like the changes, you delete the shortcut, it can't get easier than that.Anyway, the above approach can be used to 'test' .cfg files from the tweaking tool. If you like the results, great, replace your original fsx.cfg with the tweaked one, if you don't then simply delete the shortcut. That way, if you don't like the results you can easily undo the changes and you won't feel you wasted your time.

Thanks, *******... I will do this tonight... I appreciate your assistance !

******* (Hey-Sus)Great tool. One caveat it stated that I did not have vsync enabled - I don't - I have a 120Hz monitor and do not need to use vsync (which IMHO is the biggest source of stuttering in FSX today).Otherwise all good.ThanksPeterH

******* (Hey-Sus)Great tool. One caveat it stated that I did not have vsync enabled - I don't - I have a 120Hz monitor and do not need to use vsync (which IMHO is the biggest source of stuttering in FSX today).Otherwise all good.ThanksPeterH
Peter, thanks for the feedback... you are actually the second person making that observation, so I think I'll change that from just a warning instead of making the actual change. Good point.I'm waiting to receive more 'feedback' (positive or negative) so I can 'adjust' based on user experience.

Love it. I experienced a 10fps improvement. Thanks for sharing.CaptMac
Thanks! yes, I did some changes this afternoon ;)

Based on user comments I'll 'change' the tool behavior. Now, with the AGGRESIVE setting, I'll now LOWER the sliders, but in the normal settings I'll simply 'warn you' about them been too high (if hardware is a limitation). I'll be doing the changes shorty.
Sounds like a good idea. As a suggestion, perhaps just have the program analyze it first and display what changes are to be made.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Lie to the system ;) I simply use that for reference. the 9 series should be a good referenceYeap.. I see the errors in my log. It's only happening to you, so there must be something wrong in your fsx.cfg file. Can you send it to me? send me a PM and attach it so I can test on my end.
ok then thanks. You will notice that I have already done some of your tweaks and I have the appropriate comments to that regard.I will send as PM>

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I thought I would add my comment on results for the benefit of others.OK *******, this worked perfect. I got my results.I studied the changes made and I can see where the adjustments have been made.However, I readjusted the mesh resolution back from 19m to 5m mainly because of FTX which looks so much better with the increased detail.I also adjusted my textures resolution from existing 1m to 7cm to comply with that recommended from Orbx folks.I did as was recommended and switched my frame rate to unlimited.RESULTS - a noticeable improvement in fsp. In the CAM3 area, my local area I jumped up to well over 25 fps at times it jumped to 30-40 fsp. The real test was KSEA - normally on the tarmac I would be 11 fps with my settings quite high, I was constant at 15-16 with the new config, and once airborne facing away from the airport I jumped up about 5 fps more than I had previously - around 25.A success - and I thank you!ONE QUESTION - to anyone?My recommended changes included a reference to using an external limiter for best possible results. What would one be - I am not familiar with this?

Near CAM3

I thought I would add my comment on results for the benefit of others.OK *******, this worked perfect. I got my results.I studied the changes made and I can see where the adjustments have been made.However, I readjusted the mesh resolution back from 19m to 5m mainly because of FTX which looks so much better with the increased detail.I also adjusted my textures resolution from existing 1m to 7cm to comply with that recommended from Orbx folks.I did as was recommended and switched my frame rate to unlimited.RESULTS - a noticeable improvement in fsp. In the CAM3 area, my local area I jumped up to well over 25 fps at times it jumped to 30-40 fsp. The real test was KSEA - normally on the tarmac I would be 11 fps with my settings quite high, I was constant at 15-16 with the new config, and once airborne facing away from the airport I jumped up about 5 fps more than I had previously - around 25.A success - and I thank you!ONE QUESTION - to anyone?My recommended changes included a reference to using an external limiter for best possible results. What would one be - I am not familiar with this?
Further report, after an hour of flying around, under differing conditions I found that I was getting some micro stutters and my fps were jumping around between 30-60 or more fps. I decided to lock it down to 30 fps and the micro stutters disappeared completely. So I am thinking that its wasted cpu having it set to high fps.

Near CAM3