Sign in to follow this  
TheBFG

Have a fancy wireless mouse? Ditch it!

About a year ago I bought a Microsoft wireless mouse/keyboard setup. I mostly wanted the wireless keyboard for simming purposes, I can put it on my lap or just put it away when not needed.What I didn't realize was how much of a negative impact the wireless mouse has on FS9 performance. I noticed that when the mouse cursor vanished after a few seconds of no movement, I'd suddenly get an extra 5-10 fps. I just didn't realize that this was not the case before the new mouse arrived.The battery ran dead last night so I plugged in an old USB mouse with a cable. No more fps loss. In fact the whole thing is running far better. Still using the wireless keyboard, makes no difference to performance, but the wireless mouse is in the bin.Perhaps this info would be of use to some of you.

About a year ago I bought a Microsoft wireless mouse/keyboard setup. I mostly wanted the wireless keyboard for simming purposes, I can put it on my lap or just put it away when not needed.What I didn't realize was how much of a negative impact the wireless mouse has on FS9 performance. I noticed that when the mouse cursor vanished after a few seconds of no movement, I'd suddenly get an extra 5-10 fps. I just didn't realize that this was not the case before the new mouse arrived.The battery ran dead last night so I plugged in an old USB mouse with a cable. No more fps loss. In fact the whole thing is running far better. Still using the wireless keyboard, makes no difference to performance, but the wireless mouse is in the bin.Perhaps this info would be of use to some of you.
HelloWhat you have discovered is very true, A PS/2 wired connection is even lighter on CPU resources.

That's interesting I've been using a logitech wireless mouse for years and it has never affected my fps. I tried your experiment by plugging my PS2 logitech roller ball mouse in place of the wireless mouse. My fps stayed the same, no difference.

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

HelloWhat you have discovered is very true, A PS/2 wired connection is even lighter on CPU resources.
Interesting, will have to dig up of those this evening and give it a try. Thanks.
That's interesting I've been using a logitech wireless mouse for years and it has never affected my fps. I tried your experiment by plugging my PS2 logitech roller ball mouse in place of the wireless mouse. My fps stayed the same, no difference.
Mmm... I'm sure the software/drivers have a lot to do with this. If yours works then that's cool.. I wouldn't mind having a wireless mouse but only if it works like yours seems to. Perhaps Logitech is the good choice. Don't get a Microsoft version!Funny isn't it, I've spent hundreds of hours over the last 5 years, as I'm sure many of you have, trying to squeeze another 1-2 fps out of the sim. Unplug the mouse and I get TEN! Hilarious.

Ditto Logitech M505 Laser mouse with W7 - no FPS impact.;)
Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 on both rigs here and no diff in frames...all is fine with it or a PS2...

Interesting, will have to dig up of those this evening and give it a try. Thanks.Mmm... I'm sure the software/drivers have a lot to do with this. If yours works then that's cool.. I wouldn't mind having a wireless mouse but only if it works like yours seems to. Perhaps Logitech is the good choice. Don't get a Microsoft version!Funny isn't it, I've spent hundreds of hours over the last 5 years, as I'm sure many of you have, trying to squeeze another 1-2 fps out of the sim. Unplug the mouse and I get TEN! Hilarious.
I have a Mircrosoft wireless optical mouse and replacing it with a cable USB mouse make no difference to my frame rates.

I have a Mircrosoft wireless optical mouse and replacing it with a cable USB mouse make no difference to my frame rates.
Same with me. I don't load any mouse software. I just let windoze find it and away I go.JimCYWG

Hello!Another factor in how a wireless mouse/ keyboard performs might be FCC Part 15, which basically states that any wireless device that transmits a signal, like a cell phone or a wireless receiver (like the receiver for the mouse/ keyboard) has to be able to receive any incidental signals regardless of frequency. If you look on either the bottom of the receiver or on the bottom of the mouse there's a little sticker that mentions Part 15.A few years ago I worked for a company that was located next to a fire station with a huge antenna tower. Anytime you tried to use a cell phone inside the office the signal was so intermittent that you actually had to go outside and walk away from the building in order to use it; the firemen had to do the same thing. The same thing happened to my wireless mouse/ keyboard combo; sometimes it would work, sometimes not. Once I replaced them with a wired mouse/ keyboard setup I didn't have any more problems. I wonder if the combination of the radio waves picked up by the antenna and the location of the building had something to do with it? Also, maybe the signal from the mouse to the USB receiver causes the CPU to take an extra second or two to process, therefore you get a momentary 'skip' in your FPS.Then again it could be a couple of gremlins inside your computer wreaking havoc just trying to get a rise out of you... :( Alan :(

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Interesting, will have to dig up of those this evening and give it a try. Thanks.Mmm... I'm sure the software/drivers have a lot to do with this. If yours works then that's cool.. I wouldn't mind having a wireless mouse but only if it works like yours seems to. Perhaps Logitech is the good choice. Don't get a Microsoft version!Funny isn't it, I've spent hundreds of hours over the last 5 years, as I'm sure many of you have, trying to squeeze another 1-2 fps out of the sim. Unplug the mouse and I get TEN! Hilarious.
If I remember correctly. years ago a problem was dicovered that the curser was causing a fps drop when in windowed mode of FS9. But when switching to full screen mode (or non window mode), fps went back to normal. The mouse had nothing to do with the fps drop it was the curser. There was a fix posted to correct the issue, but I can't remember what is was. I beleive it was adding something to the FS9 cfg. But I do remember when flying the PSS Dash 8, when I would move the curser over one of the click spots on the panel, fps dropped. I can't remember the solution.

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

Yeah, when I first saw the topic heading, I was immediately skeptical of the results. Why anyone would buy a Microsoft Mouse is beyond me, but I seriously doubt a Microsoft vs. a Logitech would have that much of a difference on FPS, but who knows? -- I've been using Logitech Wireless Mice for years and no FPS drag. I'm currently using the M505 as well.

When my cellphone searches for a signal, it buzzes my computer speakers.This often causes a massive pause in the sim, as I ponder the fact that I am between the phone and the tower...

When my cellphone searches for a signal, it buzzes my computer speakers.This often causes a massive pause in the sim, as I ponder the fact that I am between the phone and the tower...
:LMAO:Thath's because you using 16x AA on the phone...Serious, chances to lose FPS because of the mouse is one in million...

Hey, WingZ: You have AT&T, don't you? Me too! --the buzzing speakers are from CDMA phones -- and that's exactly what everybody told us would happen if they were ever approved for use. I hate it when "They're" right!