Sign in to follow this  
Efussander

In-Depth Review of NGX Manuals

Generally speaking, with most things you are okay to include pics of stuff if it is for the purpose of illustrating a review.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Hey Ethan, how is the QRH in its B&W version? Would you have paid the extra $60 for a full color? I'm thinking about buying it seperately, I don't have the cash to buy a set. However, buying in color doubles the price. :(

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

Hey Ethan, how is the QRH in its B&W version? Would you have paid the extra $60 for a full color? I'm thinking about buying it seperately, I don't have the cash to buy a set. However, buying in color doubles the price. :(
Very good question! This is a quote from my original review:
I purchased the black and white version, and I am completely satisfied. I'm sure the color version is great as well, but in all honesty, I see no NEED for it. The B/W version is crystal clear and the color would not really add any benefit to the learning process, although I'm sure it looks nice.
The B&W version is great! I see no reason to pay extra for the color when the black and white is so good. It is perfectly clear, and I don't see how the color would really add to anything except for looks. So simple answer: no I'd wouldn't pay for color. Hope this helps, and thanks for asking!

Wow.. end of the year and I would total more than 1500$ for my hobby (here include the new nVidia GTX580, the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog with the A-10 itself, and now this).Nail%20Biting.gifNo, I don't complain. It's great days for me hobby!I have the feeling that the end of the long NGX wait is near.

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

Guest RomanS
...no reason to pay extra for the color......don't see how the color would really add to anything...
Did anyone actually get the color version? Can we see it?Can't really compare before you see both.

Did anyone actually get the color version? Can we see it?Can't really compare before you see both.
The color version is mainly giving you highlighted text in color (ie. red "DO NOT USE FOR FLIGHT") or with color (light blue or yellow) screened backgrounds in areas of concern. Also warning annunciator examples are in color and the page tabs for "Normal Checklist, Ops Info, Performance Inflight, Maneuvers and Checklist Instructions are in green, blue, kaki, yellow and red.It is the difference of getting sprinkled nuts over your chocolate sunday or eating it without. It would be just as good both ways, but sometimes you might enjoy the luxury of having sprinkled nuts a little more.If you are stretching resources to get the manuals, you won't miss the color at all, but if you have been waiting (what seems) a lifetime to have the NGX and want to have all the frills with it, the color QRH is a nice touch.It would be a good tool to use if you are bucking heads with your wife in getting the complete Chief's set. You can say "OK! You win. I'll just get the Chief's set, and I will leave out the color QRH!.... Gosh, WHY IS IT ALWAYS ME THAT HAS TO SACRIFICE!" :(

Thanks for the great writeup. I was an earlier writeup that tipped my own hand into ordering. I came home to find that own Captain's Set had arrived. I'm so tired that I'm going to wait until the morning for my own unveiling ceremony. I got a coupla Bill Bulfer books for good measure. I'm ready for some serious B737 geekout.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Reading this thread I'm getting positively jealous! I'd love to get the QRH, but for a uni student it's a bit pricey even on its own. Add the cost of shipping it to Greece and it might be cheaper to wait for NGX and have the pdf printed and bound myself.... Sometimes I really hate shipping companies...

just think. these are sitting in my house somewhere and I cant find them...damn wife.

Noah Bryant

I wouldn't buy the manuals. The type is too blurry for me to read.
My GOSH I hope you're joking... Haha, I'm sure you areCheers,James Lunsford

I wouldn't buy the manuals. The type is too blurry for me to read.
For anyone who sees this who doesn't know what he's referring to, in certain pictures that I posted, I blurred the text so as not to reveal anything that PMDG didnt want me to. He's joking, but for any first time readers I thought i'd clarify.

Interesting to see that you also have the diiffering print quality in FCOM1 and FCOM2, the black in FCOM1 is faded and blurry, yet in the QRH it is a consistant black, even the DO NOT USE FOR FLIGHT printed at the top of each page, is of a differing quality across the various manuals.

just think. these are sitting in my house somewhere and I cant find them...damn wife.
Noah-We love your wife. Please tell her we said "Thank You!"

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com