Sign in to follow this  
lovetofly28

Need ANSWERS!

TO ALL,I am so frusterated with my computer that I'm getting a whole new one, and I am wondering, are these specs good enough for PMDG and FSX???Specs: Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit• Intel® Core™ i7-990X six-core Extreme Edition [3.46GHz, 1.5MB L2 + 12MB shared L3 cache]• 24GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [6 DIMMs]• FREE UPGRADE! 1.5TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 1TB• No additional office software• Norton Internet Security™ 2011 - 15 month• 1GB DDR5 NVIDIA GeForce 460 [2 DVI, mini-HDMI, VGA adapter]• Blu-ray player & Lightscribe SuperMulti DVD burner• Wireless-N LAN card• 15-in-1 memory card reader, 1 USB, 1394, audio• No TV Tuner• Integrated sound• HP wireless keyboard and wireless optical mouseThe rest are accesories, IDC about the price, IS IT GOOD ENOUGH?(Please dont post, oh well this is better... IDC, IS THIS GOOD ENOUGH...)Thanks, Spencer Hayes

Did I read that right - 24Gb of RAM? :( I think it'll do.Tom Wright

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

TO ALL,I am so frusterated with my computer that I'm getting a whole new one, and I am wondering, are these specs good enough for PMDG and FSX???Specs: Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit• Intel® Core™ i7-990X six-core Extreme Edition [3.46GHz, 1.5MB L2 + 12MB shared L3 cache]• 24GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [6 DIMMs]• FREE UPGRADE! 1.5TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 1TB• No additional office software• Norton Internet Security™ 2011 - 15 month• 1GB DDR5 NVIDIA GeForce 460 [2 DVI, mini-HDMI, VGA adapter]• Blu-ray player & Lightscribe SuperMulti DVD burner• Wireless-N LAN card• 15-in-1 memory card reader, 1 USB, 1394, audio• No TV Tuner• Integrated sound• HP wireless keyboard and wireless optical mouseThe rest are accesories, IDC about the price, IS IT GOOD ENOUGH?(Please dont post, oh well this is better... IDC, IS THIS GOOD ENOUGH...)Thanks, Spencer Hayes
You don't need 24GB of RAM. You won't be able to utilize it unless you are running 4 copies of FSX simultaneously. Also, the Core i5 is often more for the price. The i7s are overpriced, and with a little overclocking you get better results with the i5. Oh yeah, and stay away from Norton Internet Security.And one more thing. TYPING IN CAPS ARE OFTEN CONSIDERED AS RUDE WHEN POSTING ONLINE. IT INDICATES THAT YOU ARE SHOUTING, AND IS REALLY, REALLY ANNOYING. IT WON'T GET YOU MORE ATTENTION.

Good enough? Yes.Whether or not its actually a good idea to buy, maybe not. If you don't mind waiting a while, you could get a Sandy Bridge once the mobos are back on the market, and save at least $700. 24GB of RAM is complete overkill for FSX and unless you need it for something else 6 or 8 GB is plenty. Unless money is a huge concern (which it doesn't seem so, if you plan to buy an i7-990X) you might want to get a GTX 560 or 570 instead of the 460.

TYPING IN CAPS ARE OFTEN CONSIDERED AS RUDE WHEN POSTING ONLINE. IT INDICATES THAT YOU ARE SHOUTING, AND IS REALLY, REALLY ANNOYING. IT WON'T GET YOU MORE ATTENTION.
I was shouting, to emphasise my message of staying away...and
TO ALL,

FSX wont use 24gb of ram really anything over 8 is kind of stupid in a way for fsx. FSX also doesn't use 6 cores but that CPU is still good.

That system is a terrible value for the money most likely. Any more than around 6-8GB of RAM on a gaming/FS system is pure overkill. The only reason you'd even consider that much is for doing high end video or sound editing/recording. The i7 990X is probably just slightly faster in gaming/FS than the 2500K or 2600K and it's likely $1000+ more. And why does a system with such overkill specs have such a weak video card? With everything else in there I'd expect it to have quad-SLI 580s or something, not a single 460.I'd build something like this yourself, which will have 95% of the speed of that system (probably more actually given that it won't have bloatware installed all over the place on it) and cost you thousands less.Top brand P67 mobo (ASUS, MSI, EVGA, Gigabyte etc)Intel i5 2500K or i7 2600K - OC it with a good cooler (Megahalems, Corsair A70, H70 water system etc)8GB DDR3-1333 (I like Corsair)Nvidia GTX 570 or 580 video card (EVGA is great)Two SSD drives - one for Windows, one for FSX (The OCZ drives are great)A large 1-2TB hard drive (I like the Western Digital Caviar Black series) for normal file storageA large case with good airflow such as the Corsair 600T, Coolermaster HAF series etc.A good power supply (Corsair are the industry standard here) of at least 850W.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Why in Gods name would you want 1066 MHZ ram in that thing? I can tell you right now that is way way way to slow for that processor! This "package" deal looks like a rip off! Don't buy it !

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Buy a 2600K ...No more words

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Oh yeah, and stay away from Norton Internet Security.
I'm out the loop on this, what's wrong with Norton? I'm looking at getting a new system in a few months, what's recommended these days?

Alaister Kay

I'm out the loop on this, what's wrong with Norton? I'm looking at getting a new system in a few months, what's recommended these days?
Microsoft Security Essentials, which is lightweight in terms of resources but not light on protection. I use Forefront Endpoint Security, but that's just the corporate/enterprise version of what I just mentioned and works much better in my server environment at home. Norton has just become bloated software that eats resources.