Sign in to follow this  
lovetofly28

Need ANSWERS!

That system is a terrible value for the money most likely. Any more than around 6-8GB of RAM on a gaming/FS system is pure overkill. The only reason you'd even consider that much is for doing high end video or sound editing/recording. The i7 990X is probably just slightly faster in gaming/FS than the 2500K or 2600K and it's likely $1000+ more. And why does a system with such overkill specs have such a weak video card? With everything else in there I'd expect it to have quad-SLI 580s or something, not a single 460.I'd build something like this yourself, which will have 95% of the speed of that system (probably more actually given that it won't have bloatware installed all over the place on it) and cost you thousands less.Top brand P67 mobo (ASUS, MSI, EVGA, Gigabyte etc)Intel i5 2500K or i7 2600K - OC it with a good cooler (Megahalems, Corsair A70, H70 water system etc)8GB DDR3-1333 (I like Corsair)Nvidia GTX 570 or 580 video card (EVGA is great)Two SSD drives - one for Windows, one for FSX (The OCZ drives are great)A large 1-2TB hard drive (I like the Western Digital Caviar Black series) for normal file storageA large case with good airflow such as the Corsair 600T, Coolermaster HAF series etc.A good power supply (Corsair are the industry standard here) of at least 850W.
What Ryan said is perfect. That really is a terrible value with a lot of overkill. If you need more reasons of why to NOT go with big name computer companies, check out my site www.customworxusa.comGo to the "Why Go Custom" tab on the top. I have now completed this page and have some really well designed comparisons between a custom computer, and a standard big-name computer. I even have pictures to show the differences in quality. I have also finished the "About Us" tab which also has some reasons to switch to a custom computer. Don't worry, I'm not trying to sell you anything, I haven't even opened yet, but I really would like you to see some comparisons so that you don't waste your money. If you are willing to spend that much on a big-name computer, you get a *NICE* custom computer for a lot less. Edited by Efussander

I'm out the loop on this, what's wrong with Norton? I'm looking at getting a new system in a few months, what's recommended these days?
AVG is pretty neat too :)

iam using quick heal which since upgraded to new pc etc had no troubles with it yet

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I would definitely get SSD's (one for Win7 and one for FSX) and leave the other Hard Disk for all your other stuff (like FS2004). Maybe a bit too much RAM.Cheers Jan Peter

i9-10900, RTX3080/10GB, FSX/P3Dv4.5

If you were frustrated before, that system will drive you demented! You say price is no object, but honestly, given the amount you are taking about spending, you are going to be seriously peeved when some kid with a $750 home built is getting much better performance then you. If price really is no object, then buy a machine from a reputable custom builder that is properly specced and configured for FSX and use the money you save for some flight lessons. [Alienware does not count as reputable custom builder!]

+1If you don't want to drain your wallet, this is the way to go. I have a custom computer business, the link is in my signature.

Norton has just become bloated software that eats resources.
Used to be true but not the latest packages (since 2009). NIS is now no more bloatware than any other internet security package - and their support is excellent.Iain Smith

One question:Recently, i've buy a P8P67 EVO board and an i7 2600k.What DDR3 will be better for sandybridge? 1333 or 1600? There are much differences in fsx performance in cl7 or cl9 memory?I'm thinking to buy the Gskill Ripjaws X 1333 CL9/7.Please help me to choose...1600 or 1333 ... CL9 OR CL7Thanks

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

1600 is faster but - more important is voltage. All reports indicate that memory voltage needs to be 1.5V or less so your expensive 1600 RAM would be useless if it requires 1.7 volts to run that fast.

Ripjaws X are especially designed for Sandybridge, so it works at 1.5V.

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Overclockers dot co dot uk use Corsair XMS3 Ram for all their Sandybridge overclocked bundles if that helps.

Hola José :biggrin:1333 CL7 is still slightly better than 1600 CL9 theoretically. The 1.5V restriction for SB is not true anyway. Nehalem was also rated 1.5V 1333MHz and most of us been running our RAM at 1600+ / 1.65V+

I'll buy a ripjaws x 1600 or 1333 cl74gb is enought for fsx? Or will be better 8gb?Please help me...

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Guys, the issue with RAM and Sandy Bridge is that you CANNOT use the bclk to OC like you could with the older i7s - RAM runs at 1333 on a Sandy Bridge system, period. The CPU overclock is done with the multiplier now, not the bclk. There's no point in buying DDR3 that's rated higher than 1333 based on everything I've read about Sandy Bridge OCing.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com