Sign in to follow this  
SpiritFlyer

I am most impressed with MS Flight

Can't stand all the negative headings. MS Flight looks and smells like the real deal. The old cynics may say, but you don't understand about MS and Flight Sim! Oh yes I do, but this is going to be something quite different and a whole lot better. I am hoping to leave the FSX past completely behind, despite how good it has become, the very day MS Flight comes out, and be part of making it take off and soar! The sooner, the better...Kind Regards,

Well said Stephen.

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Good for you Stephen, as I respect your opinion I have to say that not been in agreement with somebody about flight does not mean it's negative.At first I (like a lot of peoples) was very euphoric when I saw the news about Flight (MS doing a new sim.) but after looking more closely at what Flight is so far i arrived to the clonclusion that it will be FSX reworked, enhanced, code fixed or what ever you want to call it, does that mean that Flight will not be an improvement over FSX....of course not.....but I don't expect to call Flight the holy grail of flight simulation.The only thing I can see working better for us this time is the feedback the dev. are giving MS on the complaints we have about FSX but still how new can you make something old......their rendering engine is very outdated and was at one point patched to save MS some money, without a brand new rendering engine from scratch we will have to deal with some of the same problems we already have, how good or bad will it be.....lets see.

How can you come out and say something like this without even knowing what's in the package, based on a few screenshots? I'm not being negative at all, just curious. I'm excited about this release as well but not brave enough to be so optimistic.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Having hopes and expecations do not require much more than a few screenies and some developer notes. Either your cup is half full or half empty, and I know that Stephen's cup is at least half full ;-)I am a sceptic myself, but could learn from Stephen's optimism ( not only in Flight matters ). Can't wait to read your review, Stephen. I know you'll be first in line for the new deal :-)Bjorn

I agree. I think Flight will be a big step forward for the MSFS franchise. It'll also be a step out of the grave because we all thought FSX was the end.

I agree. I think Flight will be a big step forward for the MSFS franchise. It'll also be a step out of the grave because we all thought FSX was the end.
And that's exactly the point - amongst all of the nonsense l that is written here (including my own) about the matter, the fact the 'Flight' has come about at all, is a bonus which NOBODY reasonably expected in the aftermath of the Aces cull.

Guest Bill (Cappy) Johnson

I personally am ready for something new. At least it gives these old tired bones something to quake about.So I am looking forward to seeing Flight. FSX was a jump from FS2004. So I am sure Flight will be an improvement over FSX. Plus, it will get the creative minds of all the add-on developers going again. :(

One of the charmes of the MS flight sim series was the tweaks and add ons that the community came up with.I cant remember how often i was amazed after installing even the slightest add on or tweak and seeing a difference in the game.Judging from the few screen shots i've seen it looks ok. I'm buying it., judge for myself, visit this forum and wait until some creative mind, that I've never met and never will meet in person comes up with something and makes me smile again. I consider myself an avarage flight simmer. I fly around my local airport and enjoy myself.,

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

Good for you Stephen, as I respect your opinion I have to say that not been in agreement with somebody about flight does not mean it's negative.At first I (like a lot of peoples) was very euphoric when I saw the news about Flight (MS doing a new sim.) but after looking more closely at what Flight is so far i arrived to the clonclusion that it will be FSX reworked, enhanced, code fixed or what ever you want to call it, does that mean that Flight will not be an improvement over FSX....of course not.....but I don't expect to call Flight the holy grail of flight simulation.The only thing I can see working better for us this time is the feedback the dev. are giving MS on the complaints we have about FSX but still how new can you make something old......their rendering engine is very outdated and was at one point patched to save MS some money, without a brand new rendering engine from scratch we will have to deal with some of the same problems we already have, how good or bad will it be.....lets see.
It seems like this is the thousandth time I've said this, but I will say it again....there is nothing wrong with the MSFS graphics engine. It is perfect for a flight simulator in many ways. With version 10 of the engine, ACES had to make a huge amount of upgrades without being able to change a lot of the deep code. Performance suffered in the end because of this. FSX does have an unfinished look. With Flight, I do not see this. The engine looks patched, finished, and better in every way. We are in need of an upgrade from the buggy FSX. That's all that's wrong with FSX. A number of programming bugs. Work those out , add good performance, add all the new shaders, replace the old environment texture set, and you have Flight. Every new version of FS has been a rework of the previous version, and there is nothing wrong with that. In order to have a new version ready every few years, this is really the only option. If they built it from scratch each time, it would take a lot longer to release each version. You may not see the improvements in Flight, but they are quite obvious, despite the fact that we only have 15 screenshots, 2 videos, and a very limited amount of information. But I must say, they are heading in the right direction...things should only get better from here on.

Brandon Filer

Alain, Brandon. Somehow I have the feeling it was not Stephens purpose to repeat this endless discussion in this thread as well...

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if Flight was really just FSX service pack 3. Let me use all 4 - 6 cores + threads please and thank you. Get rid of all the errors and bugs and every other little thing that makes it crash and I would gladly pay $50 more for that. I can see we're already getting better textures, shadowing, and water/environmental effects, so that's all a plus.It'd be great if the game looked like HAWX 2... but then again, I don't exactly want the base game to take 200+ gb off my harddrive. I think looking for a massively improved graphics engine is being a little too demanding unless you want to wait another 10 years for this game to come out.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if Flight was really just FSX service pack 3. Let me use all 4 - 6 cores + threads please and thank you. Get rid of all the errors and bugs and every other little thing that makes it crash and I would gladly pay $50 more for that. I can see we're already getting better textures, shadowing, and water/environmental effects, so that's all a plus.
That's what's easyer and less expensive for MS to do...
I think looking for a massively improved graphics engine is being a little too demanding unless you want to wait another 10 years for this game to come out.
+1

I agree with SpiritFlyer, it looks pretty darn good!!It will be interesting to see how they treat the desert scenery, which was not well done in the current version of FSX.In summary, it is a promising start.....looking forward to more videos and screen shots.Bill

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

Alain, Brandon. Somehow I have the feeling it was not Stephens purpose to repeat this endless discussion in this thread as well...
I guess you are right, but I was simply trying to make a point that, unfortunately, some will never understand. Anyway, back on topic now!

Brandon Filer

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.