Sign in to follow this  
wingnut

4 Years Later

I pretty much gave up on FSX sometime in 2007. Too frustrated with poor performance and bugs and lies/propaganda from ACES. But the other day I just saw in PC Pilot about the upcoming MS Flight.About MS Flight:1. Good decision to finally rewrite the graphics engine from the ground up. This is the only way forward. No more bolting stuff on and calling it a new version!2. ACES team had to go. They had grown too fat and happy off flight sim and did not have the skills or energy to redevelop the sim to use the latest technologies.3. Assuming Flight developers are competent we can expect it to have great visuals and performance, even with add ons. Just because this is a flight sim doesn't mean it should run like a three legged dog! 4. It sounds clear MS are developing tools to convert FSX aircraft / scenery into Flight aircraft / scenery.5. Summary: Flight is looking promising and will be designed for simmers as much as the casual crowd. I may be tempted to get into flight siming again.

This article was discussed in a thread a while back...hint hint. Big%20Grin.gif

Brandon Filer

2. ACES team had to go. They had grown too fat and happy off flight sim and did not have the skills or energy to redevelop the sim to use the latest technologies.
I really object to this point. You, nor I have the insight into ACES Studios nor an understanding of the commercial aspects that may have forced the decisions that were made.We now have the benefit of hindsight to look back on the development of FSX...

Matthew Murray

2. ACES team had to go. They had grown too fat and happy off flight sim and did not have the skills or energy to redevelop the sim to use the latest technologies.
******* 'H', I know these forums are about opinions and views, but really, I would really like for you elaborate on what you said. You obviously have some inside knowledge that us humble folk don't know about.

This is how I understand the problem: When ACES were developing FSX, the belief was that CPUs would continue increase significantly in Megahertz. The main problem with FSX performance occurred when that prediction did not occur and CPUs instead went multi-core. Now that we have multicore platforms, do you guys think that they will be able to code Flight to take real advantage of it - as well as off-loading some functions to the videocard? Those of you with super software-coding knowledge, specifically what aspects of flight simulation (MS Flight) can be off-loaded to other cores? What can be off-loaded to the videocard? Will these factors make that much difference?Thanks in advance!RobbieHe

as well as off-loading some functions to the videocard?
The graphics engine code should use the video card. But this is not the case with FSX. You can have the latest super fast video card but it makes no difference. It is CPU bound. One thing I did was build a cheap PC with a lowly Intel E5200, 2gb ram, 500GB HDD. But I put a HD4770 video card in which was a 'decent' one at the time, but still quite cheap. I found I could play the latest games and get great graphics usually on medium-high settings. Take for instance HAWX. You could have a multi-player online dogfight and with stunning graphics! You don't even need to display the FPS because its always so smooth! No stutters. And other games too like Crysis had excellent graphics on med-high settings. Obviously these games were coded properly to use the graphics card, as it should. Can only hope the MS Flight engine will be similar.

I think there's way too much speculation about how FSX uses hardware.IMO the real challenge for the FSX developers was the delay in Vista.

I pretty much gave up on FSX sometime in 2007. Too frustrated with poor performance and bugs and lies/propaganda from ACES. But the other day I just saw in PC Pilot about the upcoming MS Flight.About MS Flight:2. ACES team had to go. They had grown too fat and happy off flight sim and did not have the skills or energy to redevelop the sim to use the latest technologies.
Wow, couldn't disagree with you more. No one in their right mind would have considered the people in the ACES team as being anything less than experts in their field. I can't tell you how many post's I read here at AVSIM by Phil and Tim which demonstrated their knowledge. As for MS, I never considered them as being propagandist's or liers either.Welcome to the forums' let's see if you live up to your moniker during your stay. wink.gif

\Robert Hamlich/

This is a really frustrating thread to read, especially when so many of us would like to re-open a dialogue with the MS Flight team. Hyperbolic and baseless accusations are counter to that objective.

This is a really frustrating thread to read, especially when so many of us would like to re-open a dialogue with the MS Flight team. Hyperbolic and baseless accusations are counter to that objective.
I couldn't agree more. I would normally say ' Welcome To The Forums' with open arms. But what was written can only be described as willfully ignorant, completely unresearched, and blatantly rude. In a word pathetic. I am sure the MS team, posses more intelligence than this contributor and they realise that there are more better informed and decent folk out there than this one.

Come on all...... In another thread here I was told that everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it rooted in rudeness, ignorance, and lack of knowledge, and now look at this!

Come on all...... In another thread here I was told that everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it rooted in rudeness, ignorance, and lack of knowledge, and now look at this!
Thanks. It seems many in the peanut gallery are either too old to remember or too new to know about that little thing called "DX10 preview" for FSX, which eventually turned out to be an artists impression and which eventually lead to flawed patches and non-delivery of what they "promised".Anyway... let's not go there. MS Flight has the makings to potentially be great if it can take all the good of flight sim and mix in a new graphics engine.

It was your post that I was pointing out to be rude, ignorant, and totally lacking in knowledge. :(

It was your post that I was pointing out to be rude, ignorant, and totally lacking in knowledge. :(
That's embarrassing. If you can't face facts then You are ignorant by definition. Go back and search for the DX10 preview and the outcome of that. Seems you have a very bad memory or you somehow choose to forget it.

It is more telling that you have ignored, and not responded to the people that disagree with you but do reply to someone you thought was agreeing with you.I really do think you are just a troll.

Matthew Murray

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.