Sign in to follow this  
shivers9

If Flight were released tomorrow?

Even if Valve did go under, I think it's more likely that Steam would get sold off to a company that would take over the accounts and continue to sell and support the games. It may not be as good as how Valve handles it, but I doubt the games would suddenly become worthless.Anything could happen though. MLB.com ripped off some customers a few years ago when they decided to change the DRM to a different service. Broadcasts purchased under the old system could no longer be viewed.

you have compressed the time scale .. MSFS prices dont drop in the first year. You will be waiting for at least a year.
Then I will not have Flight for oevr a year. If Flight at ist launch is as expensive as FSX was, then I'm not buying it. Not going to pay 130 Euro for a sim. Anyway, for as far as I remember it dropped after half a year or so. it stayed at 65 Euro for a very long time after that drop.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Forgot about those guys, didn't see em on the list either. I'd call that extraordinary circumstances though. Honestly, what are the chances that the company that sells more games than the rest of the industry combined is going to go out of business any time soon, especially given the trend toward cloud-based storage? Answer: virtually none.
People no doubt said the chances of Lehmann's going out of business were virtually none - but it did!Valve Corporation which runs Steam is said to have 260 employees. If it went bankrupt it could well be seen as too small for anyone to bother picking up the pieces.

OK! so big company can go belly up including MS, so should we wait before buying Flight?On a more serious note, as I can read from some of the post in this thread, a virtual world for Flight can be done and the idea is not so crazy after all right?

People no doubt said the chances of Lehmann's going out of business were virtually none - but it did!Valve Corporation which runs Steam is said to have 260 employees. If it went bankrupt it could well be seen as too small for anyone to bother picking up the pieces.
Valve isn't a company that plays shell games with paper money either, they sell actual products. Really, the two situations are not at all comparable.

Valve isn't a company that plays shell games with paper money either, they sell actual products.  Really, the two situations are not at all comparable.
They are comparable .. the discussion wasnt about paper money or physical goods ... The discussion was about very large companies going under, therefore, they are very good examples to support the original point being made. 

Valve isn't a company that plays shell games with paper money either, they sell actual products. Really, the two situations are not at all comparable.
Many companies that make or sell actual products have gone bankrupt in recent years - just try Googling for the some of the big ones. No company is immune from the risk.

Okay, you're right. Yes, there is a small possibility that Valve could go under, and that they wouldn't release a patch to unlock the games as they said they would. And maybe no company would step in to take over the 30 million accounts. And perhaps none of Valve's competitors would be concerned that not acquiring Steam and allowing all those purchased games to disappear would affect consumer confidence in digital distribution. Yes, I suppose all of that is possible.Happy? :)

Guest ShinyJetSyndrome
Such improved dynamics are my real hope for Flight, not improved looks. I'll appreciate the improvements in visuals for sure, but above all I want it to be a flight simulator, not an eye candy simulator.
That is my hope as well. Just having a rudder that works would be a significant step up in flight dynamics quality...

So what features will MS have to offer tonight to get your order tomorrow or next payday?? Or for those with the glass half empty, what would be the deal breakers?
Nothing really, I'll pre-order Flight regardless.I've bought many add-ons for the performance version of FSX (i.e., FS9), but the time has come to make a clean break. I won't criticize all the FSX users who stay behind with their add-ons like they criticized FS9 users, or will I? Hmm.I'll be most interested in how Flight operates on modern hardware, but I'll buy it to test/tweak it, just like I did for FSX (before largely shelving it).

They are comparable .. the discussion wasnt about paper money or physical goods ... The discussion was about very large companies going under, therefore, they are very good examples to support the original point being made.
The day Valve goes under is the day PC gaming dies, at which point there won't be much to talk about here anyway, so on the incredibly small chance that it actually happens, no one will care anymore.

Whats that got to do with flight?Jamie ♥
Did you not see the action taking place in the plane, they used one of the Flight's plane to shoot the action inside, that how Flight will look (virtually).....:(

The day Valve goes under is the day PC gaming dies, at which point there won't be much to talk about here anyway, so on the incredibly small chance that it actually happens, no one will care anymore.
Incorrect again .. there will always be another steam to come along.   If steam no longer existed, doesn't mean that the PC industry would die.  Where is your understanding of business "hat". 

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.