Sign in to follow this  
leppakot

NGX bird strike question

(yes, I got out of the wrong side of bed this morning Rolling%20Eyes.gif)
Hmmmm. You and me alike, Vin! Devil.gifCheers,

Yeah, I realize strikes themselves are common, just saying that whole catastrophic failure scenario as a result of it is not - I'm willing to bet a big part of that number is GA and military related too - they usually have pretty good bird suppression at major airports with commercial jet traffic...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Yeah, I realize strikes themselves are common, just saying that whole catastrophic failure scenario as a result of it is not - I'm willing to bet a big part of that number is GA and military related too - they usually have pretty good bird suppression at major airports with commercial jet traffic...
I wish I had taken notes-but the problem is a lot bigger than most think. Also-with Ga-if a bird takes your canopy out-most likely the airplane will be unflyable. Wierdest one was a rabbit that took a plane out. It was landing and right when the nosewheel touched down it hit the rabbit-which flipped the plane over. The 600k figure is what they said they excpect as only 20-30% are reported and recorded in the database below. 26 Strikes a day!Here is a direct link:http://wildlife-miti...fe/default.aspx

Guest Tamadeez

Wait doesn't fspassengers simulate bird strikes?

Yup, in fact FS passengers simulates artillery strikes as well if you fly in the wrong places.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

There's nothing that could put a simmer into the "experience" more than the immersion from sound and mystery...Flying along in your aircraft 2 hours into a flight, you are barely awake scanning the instruments, and suddenly your speakers emit a large "THUD"... you think to yourself, "what was that? was that FS?"A few seconds later you HEAR (sound recording from FS) the FO saying "sounded like something hit somewhere on the craft - check those instruments closer)... as you scan you notice the ITT climbing higher...Now this is where the fun comes in more, a random generator will determine whether this thing shall pass without further incident, or get worse yet...In this case it wouldn't be a bird strike (not at cruise level for 2 hours+!), but...take your imaginiation from there --It dosn't always need to be something you see. It could be sound and a bit of mystery that can really perk you up and pay attention to the simulation~!Some of us older cats remember the days of FS1, when our IMAGINATION did a lot more of the simming than is done today. Funny but it was fun back then too even without all these bells and whistles of todays modern computers...

I must say in around the 20 something bird strikes I have personally been involved in only a handful has caused ANY damage whatsoever. None of that ever being FOD'ing out the motors.. The most sever one I saw was the bird caused the nose door (H-60) to cave in.. Other than that just a bunch of blood and feathers everywhere that need to be cleaned up before the next flight. Is not very pleasant. Even if an engine took a bird directly it would be a very small possibility it would fail. You would get a compressor stall and the engine would take some damage but it would in all reality most likely keep running. The only time you will get catastrophic engine failures is if you take an entire flock of birds (ala Hudson incident), or if the aircraft ingests hard FOD (metallic objects, chunks of the ramp, etc). Most engine failures are contained anyway so may as well just set an engine failure for X amount of minutes into your flight and be done with it, but that is just me.

I can't see all the fuss around failures to the point that some requests leave me exasperated! Think about the number of 737's flying the skies every day and then think about how many failures occur - major or minor. The number of failures requiring much input from the flight crew is incredibly small. Nine point nine times out of ten a 737 flight is going to make it from start to finish without a hiccup. Yes, it's necessary for airline pilots to train for just about every possible scenario short of being beamed up by Klingons, but on the whole I would say failures - especially the likes of which are being requested in this forum - would happen so rarely that we could probably count those incidences with one hand. That is why the 737 is considered (by Boeing and its competitors the world over) to be one of the safest (if not the safest), most reliable aircraft ever built.

They are pretty common in my part of the world. YBBN averages 80 bird/flying fox strikes every year, One of the problems is that the birds that get in the way tend to be large: eg pelicans, ibis. A pelican could really ruin your whole day. 059211-birdstrikes-brisbane.jpgDamaged-F-111-5994415.jpg

Jeff Hunter

Yep-there is the reality-same in my part of the world...

Ryan,I just hope you guys simulated a baby getting sucked into the toilet bowl while taking a dump during cruise, and rerouted to the APU intake, causing the APU to fail. This can happen when the ground crew mistakenly link the vacuum line with the APU in their hurry to get the plane ready for the next flight (I wish I knew more about the engineering side of the plane, I would have used my imagination better). If that's not simulated, whether it happens in real life or not, then I'm not buying. Period! Some people here are ready to request for forensic engineers to be modeled, who always appear at the crash site, trying to figure out how many white blood cells were lost, and which of them belonged to male or to female corpses. This is so annoying.

PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Chidiebere Anyahara

There are people who flies simulator from "3rd person view" and those who says that simulator is not realistic because when you crash your plane it only says "crash" and doesn´t explode or something.. However I respect accurately modelled systems and don´t mind so much about liveries, wing views, etc., because they are something you can´t see anyway from the flight deck (and does not influence system modelling accuracy). Trying to say that my question was supposed to be fully system failure and "replacing window texture" based, not visual birds or fancy animations. KERNEL32 said (post #36) pretty much what I originally meant while posting.. Setting fault timer does the job for engine failures, Fspassenger does the job also I guess (thanks for the tip), however I originally tried to ask if there is some kind of "Bird strike scenario" which might be sum of multiple failures or something like that. I would have not raised this question in the first place if Captain Randazzo has´t said that there is failure scenarios included in NGX: "And then there will be the subset of users who will answer that question by diving deep into the hundreds of possible failure scenarios in order to take reach into the personal challenge and decision making processes of managing an airplane with anything from a catastrophic hydraulic failure during an approach in low IFR conditions to a simple failure of an unimportant piece of equipment on a nice calm VFR day..."Ps.I didn´t ask if there is something like spilling coffee on central pedestal vhs radios modelled or underestimate developement team asking is there something very obvious modelled. I tried to find answer regarding bird strikes and NGX with search function without luck and was convinced that this would be appropriate question. (Damn this took long to write because of im horrible in English)Cheers, Tapio LeppäkoskiFinland

Ryan, I just hope you guys simulated a baby getting sucked into the toilet bowl while taking a dump during cruise, and rerouted to the APU intake, causing the APU to fail. This can happen when the ground crew mistakenly link the vacuum line with the APU in their hurry to get the plane ready for the next flight (I wish I knew more about the engineering side of the plane, I would have used my imagination better). If that's not simulated, whether it happens in real life or not, then I'm not buying. Period! Some people here are ready to request for forensic engineers to be modeled, who always appear at the crash site, trying to figure out how many white blood cells were lost, and which of them belonged to male or to female corpses. This is so annoying.
I applaud your imagination, but that was just gross.What's so bad about asking for simulated bird strikes for the sake of procedure training? Someone from PMDG stated before that they have explosive decompression modelled, and how often does this kind of failure occur? The only explosive decompressions most pilots ever encounter are caused by eating lots of dietary fibers.

This sounds like a fun feature. Maybe we can ask Bryan York to include it in his version of FS2Crew Voice Command for this aircraft. As far as a bird-strike animation, just throw a bottle of katchup on you monitor and yell "DUCK!!"
I did bird strikes in the FS2Crew Level-D 767 version, complete with the smashed glass effect. Sorry, I used to have a video demonstrating it, but I lost it.Haven't done them since.Problem is they only really look proper if using the 2D cockpit.To make a smashed glass effect in a VC, well, the VC modeller would need to do that directly, and it would probably eat up precious polygons.Cheers,

To make a smashed glass effect in a VC, well, the VC modeller would need to do that directly, and it would probably eat up precious polygons.
Sure. Cracked glass is a cosmetic effect. But what the original poster mostly asked (for which he received a lot of flak) was the randomicity of bird ingestion that creates some kind of system failure.