Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crosswind

Delta in the Netherland Antilles

Aircraft: iFly's 737 800Scenery: FlyTampa's TNCMDL-SXM_unsharpened.jpgDL-SXM-FIRM.jpgDL-SXM-close-up.jpgDL-SXM-taxiing-out.jpgDL-SXM-1st-taxi-pose.jpgDL-SXM-rollin.jpgDL-DEP-SXM_sharpened.jpgDL-EIS-cockpit.jpgMore to come.......

Very nice screenshots.I just returned from SXM just three weeks ago and Princess Juliana is my favorite airport for watching traffic. Two observations. When taking off on runway 10 jet aircraft bank to the right to avoid terrain. I have never seen any jet turn left after takeoff. I have never seen any jet land on runway 28. This approach is just not used by commercial jets.EDITED BY MOD.

Sorry, Jeff, but quoting pictures is not allowed acording to the rules.Btw. really lovely shots.

Very nice screenshots.I just returned from SXM just three weeks ago and Princess Juliana is my favorite airport for watching traffic. Two observations. When taking off on runway 10 jet aircraft bank to the right to avoid terrain. I have never seen any jet turn left after takeoff. I have never seen any jet land on runway 28. This approach is just not used by commercial jets.
Jeff,You are correct, as of a few years ago it has become "mandatory" to make that right turn when departing runway 10. Back in the 90's when I used to fly in and out of SXM a departing left turn was permissible depending on weight and climb capability of the aircraft. It was not uncommon back then to see a KLM or Air France 747 make a right turn, provided they met that criteria.Jets landing on runway 28 is a rarity, however landings are permissible in VMC conditions only and night landings are prohibited. I have actually witnessed BWIA in the days of operating the MD80s land on runway 28 (was 27 back then).

That is TropicalSim's TUPJ (Tortola - EIS). Available at Simmarket