Sign in to follow this  
GAJ52

Voice Recognition Problem

Hi,I'm a newish user to the voice ifly 737 nxg and I have the problem of 'on' not being reconised by my southern english accent.After lots of training, it was still no better.'auto' and sometimes 'armed' was being displayed instead of 'on'. I now have to say 'on' in a stupid manner for it to be recognised. Kind of like taking a big bite of a juicy melon, with the sound coming from the back of my throat.Obviously all this was from July last year, so has it been solved yet?Andrew.

Hi Andrew,Your accent should be no problem... remember we have Japanese and Eastern Europeans using voice recognition with good results, so your southern accent should pose no problem.You might want to try getting a better headset...Or, you could try this:Problem: Speech recognition is having problems detecting certain words. Can I train the speech recognition system for "specific" words?Solution:

• Yes, you can use the dictation facility in Windows.
  • First, start 'Windows Speech Recognition' (this is not the FS2Crew Speech Recognition system, but rather the speech recognition system that comes with Windows).
  • Open a text document.
  • Next, dictate a list of words you are having trouble with.
  • Every time the speech recognizer makes a mistake, use the "CORRECT THAT" voice command. This effectively train the speech recognition engine to recognize how you pronounce these words. You may need to dictate and correct the same words multiple times until the recognition rate improves.

Hi,The title of this post is a little over dramatic as I only have a problem using Voice Recognition with just one word "ON". I have used the voice recognition training several times to try and solve this problem, but FS2Crew refuses to recognize when I say "On" to checklist. I have tried it in different accents, slowly, quickly, I did try it once in a drawling Texan type accent and it worked, but only the once !!I know I can use 'Set', 'Checked' or 'Next' to continue with the checklist, but is there any way to train FS2Crew to recognize my "On" command ?I remember reading a similar post some time ago but I can't find it now.Glen
Ditto. I had the same issue as a Brit like you, which is why I gave up with the Voice Commander and switched to the Button Version. I thought maybe it was my accent and so nobody would have a solution. Cannot believe anyone has posted about this. Hopefully, somebody here now will have an answer.

I have tried everything including the 'Dictation' training, as I only have the problem with one word 'On' I don't think its a problem with my headset quality, it appears to not like a UK accent for this particular word for some reason. I have got around this problem by saying 'On' in a kind of American accent, pronouncing it as "arn" this now works every time. Its a little annoying speaking like this for one word, then normally for the rest of the time but I have now just got used to it.Glen

Glen

Hi BryanI personally pronounce the 'O' as in Orange and just add the 'n. To make it work every time I have to pronouce the 'O' as 'AR'.nAs an example I pronounce 'On' exactly the same as the UK Copilot in the JS41 version of FS2Crew - we could be twin brothers :( .If the same thing happenes with the NGX version, :( it won't be a problem I can live with it. I feel its a MS Voice problem not anything to do with FS2Crew.Glen

Glen

Hmmm.... As an experiment, trying turning down your FS volume all the way to off and see if 'On' is detected any better.The J41 is especially noisy, and that may be a factor.Based on experience, generally speaking a neutral American style mid-western accent tends to work best.Basically it's the same accent used by most American new castors on the major TV networks... or Obama.Try talking like Obama :(

After all this, I've realised I've had the same problem, but posted it in the Jetstream rather than the ifly 737 forum. I have trained Win7 on those words, and have some success in notepad.After following the above, Win7 doesn't 'learn', no matter how many times I've 'correct that'. I'm using a Plantronics USB headset. Please find my voice in .wma here:-http://www.andrewreader.com/fsx/

Right, I'm finally getting somewhere.So far:-'correct that' and was failing.I then recorded my voice into the dictionary of S.R. for 'on'Then in notepad, it was getting better with correct that.On 'correct that' you can say your word again to see the list of possible matches - if it's nothing like your word, you need to record/re-record it to the dictionary.'On' starts working.'Armed' doesn't work, but one step at a time.Thanks all.

No problem here with my North Staffordshire accent.Although it may have mellowed somewhat after 12 years on this side of the pond!

I'm Scottish and have a similar problem..... no matter what I do Win 7 will not recognise the word "free"! I've done the "Correct that" thing in notepad hundreds of times and it still comes up with "three".During the departure check I've only managed once not to have to say next instead of free, and that was using a very drawl North American accent. Oh well, I'll just keep trying.Amazing product by the way, totally transforms flying the J41 and helps with the workload.Cheers,Rory Gillies"The Shetland Flyer"

Strangely, since buying the NGX version of FS2Crew, I have no problems with the word 'On' whatsoever, but when I load up the JS41 version I have to say 'Arn' otherwise it doesn't recognise the word ?

Not a problem, just weird.

Glen

Glen

Hi,

UK brit here and i am having the same problem "On" = "armed". However, it did work for a bit then seem to go back to armed. Does the speed regonistion system in win 7 continue to listen and laern as you talk? As i wounder if it has picked up some back ground noise somewhere and this has effected or change it?