Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ben Cap

Realistic Taxi?

Almost ALL other FSX addons have this issue. UNREALISTIC taxi characteristics....On the NGX can you actually taxi on IDLE?This is quoted directly from the Boeing 737NG FTCM: "IDLE THRUST IS ADEQUATE FOR MOST TAXIING CONDITIONS" Another line directly from the FCTM: "A SLIGHTLY HIGHER THRUST IS REQUIRED TO BEGIN TAXIING"Will we actually be able to advance the throttles to around 40% N1 and be able to get rolling and then lower the throttles to idle to perform a normal taxi at low-moderately heavy gross weights(within the NGX)?Best Regards,

Almost ALL other FSX addons have this issue.
I think the Level-d 767 does that. But you may need a good throttle to see it working.

The PMDG staff has said that this bird will have the most realistic taxiing and handling within the limitations of FSX so it should be as close as FSX can get!

I think this has a lot to do with the faulty ground contact model that's been pointed out before. I think that because of that issue, some developers set it up so that you can taxi at idle, but the aircraft will also idle clear up to 40 knots on the ground (developer remains nameless), while others simply make you hold some power in the taxi.Either way, hopefully they coded a workaround.

then answer -.-
It's already been answered.Learn to search and read.

This issue was fixed in FS9 & FSX years ago... either through using an updated sim.dll or programmers adjusting ground idle on the aircraft.

then answer -.-
Hey Thomas. I would answer bud but I don't say too much because of the NDA. Hope you understand. JackColwill

Using a bit of smoke and mirrors it would be possible, using the SIMONGROUND flag, to have two throttle configurations so the aircraft taxis correctly by the numbers on the ground, and is not over-powered in the air, either.This is a sim after all. Numbers are what count! How you get there is largely irrelevant as long as the final result is accurate.Best regards,Robin.

Here you can see the ngx taxi.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kidx6xrp9Qg&feature=player_detailpage#t=237shttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD4KQrrfATs&feature=player_detailpage

That crosswind landing is bugging me - I hope they fix the after touchdown behavior before release!! Seems the autobrakes are applying asymmetric braking effort causing it to yaw wildly.Best regards,Robin.

That crosswind landing is bugging me - I hope they fix the after touchdown behavior before release!! Seems the autobrakes are applying asymmetric braking effort causing it to yaw wildly.Best regards,Robin.
You're kidding, right?You do know that this is exactly how an aircraft that's not decrabbed, with a close to 25kt crosswind at touchdown would handle?The first wiggle of the aircraft is due to the not decrabbing. RSR already declared he was not aiming for the best-landing-of-the-year award. This was about testing the autobrakes.The wiggles during rollout are caused by the wind-vane effect of the aircraft. 25kt crosswind is blowing agains the vertical stabilizer, causing the tendency of the aircraft to turn the nose into the wind. And as long as you're "light" on the nose wheel, the aircraft is very prone to this effect. With the limited (read: not so accurate) hardware controls (pedals) we have for FSX, the correction of this effect is quite difficult.I haven't flown the real NG, but I have flow it in a real Level-D simulator for quite some hours, including a crosswind landings and at 20kt (maximum I even did), it is a BIG challenge keeping the aircraft on the centerline during rollout.In fact, there have been quite some runway excursions of real airliners due to this effect...

I don't get why some people just want to hawk out and find every flaw of the bird. You can always make your own if you want see where that gets you.

I don't get why some people just want to hawk out and find every flaw of the bird. You can always make your own if you want see where that gets you.
But it's very hard to make one :)!

But it's very hard to make one :)!
Agreed, and it's even harder to construct the NGX, so in return we must commend PMDG for their feats, and not bash them for every micro-mistake(If any at all). If you compare this airplane to any other, it is far superior. Not because it's the BEST AIRCRAFT MADE means that youshould expect 400% and even though PMDG would try, it's just never going to happen within the FSX limitations. I find that we are very ungrateful, as some other companies ignore you all together, but the whole TEAM OF PMDG are always active and ready to respond, and so we are quick to take advantage of this. They have nothing to hide, I am finished, absolom.

That crosswind landing is bugging me - I hope they fix the after touchdown behavior before release!! Seems the autobrakes are applying asymmetric braking effort causing it to yaw wildly.
You clearly missed RR's post about how this particular landing was made, it was not made in a manner a normal crosswind landings are done.

Hey Thomas. I would answer bud but I don't say too much because of the NDA. Hope you understand. JackColwill
What does NDA stand for?

Of course is throttle needed for taxi. You can not taxi without throttle forward! (Maybe in idle stand the airplane gonna rolling slowly or not, maybe it depends on the weight of the airplane)While taxing, If the groundspeed reachs 20 kts or near by, you can pull the throttles to idle and so you can now taxi with throttles in idle stand :Applause:It's unrealistic to taxi an airplane without throttles forward, because the airplane needs power to go forward! I hope you can understand this man.

Of course is throttle needed for taxi. You can not taxi without throttle forward! (Maybe in idle stand the airplane gonna rolling slowly or not, maybe it depends on the weight of the airplane)While taxing, If the groundspeed reachs 20 kts or near by, you can pull the throttles to idle and so you can now taxi with throttles in idle stand :Applause:It's unrealistic to taxi an airplane without throttles forward, because the airplane needs power to go forward! I hope you can understand this man.
Volkan,Most aircraft only need a little thrust to start rolling. Pretty soon after they roll, throttles are placed back in de idle position. The aircraft will often accelerate itself and additional braking, even while on idle thrust, is not uncommon.

You clearly missed RR's post about how this particular landing was made, it was not made in a manner a normal crosswind landings are done.
I kind of wish he did a video of a normal landing instead of a landing that they were testing so we would not have to read some of the annoying comments about how the pilot int he video sucks.. or the plane sucks.. LOL these people should be able to tell by how smooth that crosswind approach was all the way until the touchdown that the pilot was skilled.

Volkan,Most aircraft only need a little thrust to start rolling. Pretty soon after they roll, throttles are placed back in de idle position. The aircraft will often accelerate itself and additional braking, even while on idle thrust, is not uncommon.
That's exactly what I was asking about the NGX. --But according to Mr. Colwill they are under NDA so they can't say anything. :(

That's exactly what I was asking about the NGX. --But according to Mr. Colwill they are under NDA so they can't say anything. :(
Because the user who you are quoting is talking about taxiing in general. You asked about the NGX specifically. The user you quoted wasn't even referring to the NGX specifically. There is quite a difference from what you quoted and what you asked.

Every aircraft I've flow except one will gladly taxi at idle power. Some even need a dab of brakes to keep the speed under control which isn't easy. It's tempting to ride the brakes but then you will risk them overheating. The only aircraft that needed more than idle thrust to keep going was an old 1972 C182N.Remember that especially jet engines are still producing a huge amount of thrust even at idle. Once a nice little challenger at idle maybe 100 ft. in front of me tried to flip the C172 I was getting ready to fly. A friend of mine did get flipped behind an MD-11 starting up (Thank you FDX). There was about 200ft. between the engine and the taxiway. Ah, the joy's of flying GA at a Class B field.