Sign in to follow this  
Yoda967

The NGX Experience

We modeled these systems exactly like the real thing - there actually is a virtual air duct in code with virtual air flowing through it, virtual valves and crossbleeds and virtual sensors that pick up stuff like this temperature issue. This is the difference between us and most other addons - we're literally modelling the individual parts of these dynamic systems - pneumatics, fuel, electrics etc.
One particular addon I own... you can open up the CAB files in the panel, and see most of the systems are just simple XML tricks. I looked up how to change my fuel qty gauge on one of my other addons from KGS to LBS (the developer evidently was too busy programming the FMC to calculate fuel burn improperly to be bothered with something so trivial)... and I was surprised at how simple it was. Every system on that aircraft was simply a few "if this, then that" XML lines. It was kind of cool to see that, because it's not that hard to play around with them. But it was disappointing to see that there really weren't any systems. Sure, turn on the HYD PUMP switches, and the PRESS lights extinguish... problem is the PRESS lights aren't telling you there's low hydraulic pressure, they're telling you that the XML file sees that the switches are off. On top of that, the coding is kind of sloppy. Their fuel gauge took the quantity in gallons and converted it into KGS, with THREE operations... convert gallons to lbs, convert lbs to kg, then divide the decimal to the left. That's just lazy... it took me ten seconds and the Windows calculator to come up with ONE multiplier to use. The pointless math is not a heavy burden on the processor by itself, but looking through, so many of the functions of that aircraft in the XML files are similarly bloated and that does add up after a while. The FMC and the assorted LCD displays are compiled into GAU files so I can't see inside but I'm sure they're no different. And I'm not even going to start on the FMC. Take lousy quality control, and combine it with lackluster support and the forum equivalent of a shark tank if you don't wax euphoric about their whole product line...And people wonder why other developers release five products in the time it's taken PMDG to finish the NGX... it's amazing how much time save NOT making a sound product and how much more you save by NOT supporting it well.

Thanks for the explanation. Maybe I'm just scared lol! This will be my first complex complex (did I mention complex?) airliner. I have the LvlD, Super 80 - but they aren't too bad. I normally can just get in and go with about 5 min of FMS programming. I also use Eaglesoft C750... same thing - about 4 min of fms stuff and I'm good to go.
Ryan,You shouldn't have any problems getting up and running nice and quickly. I bet you could get going in less than 90 seconds if you start on the runway with the engines running, and that includes programming the FMC. Maybe not the first few times, but once you've memorized what you need to do with the FMC you can get her up and flying very quick.

If you really want to be annoyed for hours, get the DCS:BS, don't read the manual, use the Russian cockpit, and try and start it! :(
:Silly:Been there, done that :(

It took about ten or twelve minutes to taxi all the way across the field to the departure end of runway 28R, and with the engines running at barely above idle, the hot cabin only got hotter. Sure enough, climbing out, I got a master caution light. A quick scan of the overhead panel and there they were, two orange annunciators: duct overheat.
Actually, KLAS doesn't have a 28R, as far as I know it's still 25R/LI used to work there ;)

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

you can spare the engines from the j41 by following a sequence of actions without understanding why ... i hope the NGX won't let you get away with that sort of behavior. i certainly hope you will have to know why you are doing what you are supposed to be doing.
Well, the checklist is simply that- a checklist. If you want PMDG to make you a checklist with explanations in small print below each item, than I don't think they're going to do that. Technically you wouldn't need to know every component of an entine to start it- and there's no way the aircraft can read your mind and say, "I'm not going to let you get away with starting this engine because you don't know every component." So I invite you to emerse yourself in manuals, and not necessarily hope that a checklist doesn't have easy to read steps.

Actually, KLAS doesn't have a 28R, as far as I know it's still 25R/L
You're right! That's either a typo or the reason it took me so long to taxi over there. :(

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

Is the Cross Bus Tie Relay of the Electrical System modeled? Does this relay opens when the Glide slope is captured?I suspect is does...

Henk de Vries

You're right! That's either a typo or the reason it took me so long to taxi over there. :(
LMAO.gif well put. But at least you found it haha

Best regards, happy flying,

Wallace

Hmmm, there's been alot of speculation in the last few days about the models that have been modeled. I was reading out of interest in my manuals about the duct overheat. It appears that this is only a feature of the 600 and 700 variants. When looking in the FCOM diagrams the annunciators are only present on the 600/700 diagram, and the relevant page in the QRH says in brackets [737-600/700]This may not mean anything, but I still regard this as an intresting snippet of Information.

Hmmm, there's been alot of speculation in the last few days about the models that have been modeled. I was reading out of interest in my manuals about the duct overheat. It appears that this is only a feature of the 600 and 700 variants. When looking in the FCOM diagrams the annunciators are only present on the 600/700 diagram, and the relevant page in the QRH says in brackets [737-600/700]This may not mean anything, but I still regard this as an intresting snippet of Information.
woah, Hypnotized.gif nice catch!Hoping we get all models at once!Regards

Best regards, happy flying,

Wallace

Tim- I confirm. From Manual D6-27370-TBC(BOEING COMPANY)Perhaps they have something up there sleeveBut it does leave the question- Why does DUCT OVRHT only apply to 600/700 models?

Peter Osborn

Ryan, one thing to ask...Will this also happen if the plane is connected to an air bridge, for example, with AES? As surely inside to airbridge it is air conditioned, in real life, but will it still regard it as the door opened 'outside'...?Thanks!
As several others mentioned, most jetways/air bridges aren't air conditioned in real life. I've been in some very hot ones in the summer here at KPHX. We do in fact model ground air cooling or heating the cabin though.
Just can someone further explain the "Service Based Failures." I understand from above how it works, just how does your "virtual ground team" fix these problems if they arise (like low hydraulic fluids)?
I kinda went over this a while back, but we are not modelling a "hangar" or "virtual ground crew" here with respect to fixing failures - that type of work is performed by an entire maintenance department at an airline, usually in the middle of the night. A modern jet is not the same thing as a small GA aircraft like the Aerosoft Katana or something like the A2A B-17 where the pilots would actually know how to perform some of this maintenance. Maintenance on engines and hydraulic and pneumatic systems like what are on the NG is extremely complicated and would not be represented anywhere near accurately by the types of things you see in those other addons I mentioned like dragging a hose over to a port or something like that. (not a knock at those addons at all, I have them and personally love it - it's just very different types of airplanes) You fix failures on the NGX by clearing them on the failures page in the FMC.
Thanks for the explanation. Maybe I'm just scared lol! This will be my first complex complex (did I mention complex?) airliner. I have the LvlD, Super 80 - but they aren't too bad. I normally can just get in and go with about 5 min of FMS programming. I also use Eaglesoft C750... same thing - about 4 min of fms stuff and I'm good to go.
You will very easily be able to start on the runway and be in the air within 5 minutes once you get used to the FMC preflight and MCP setup. The first tutorial flight I wrote is designed exactly for someone like you in fact.In fact here's the quote from the tutorial:
We’reaware many simmers just want to load the airplane on the runway, program aroute and go fly – that’s what this first tutorial is all about. We’re not going to be following the exactnormal procedures and flows from the FCOM Vol. 1 that a real life crew would do. This is distilled down to the basic steps you’llneed to take ensure correct setup of the FMC and operation of the airplane inflight. You’ll be able to have virtuallyany NG route programmed and be in the air within about 5 minutes using thesemethods provided you start on the runway with the engines running.
Do you think that there enough of these "incidents" that happen to justify getting the QRH? I'm thinking of picking it up, but I feel that it may not be money well spent if a warning light of some sort only pops on every 20 flights or so. (eg. 120* day in vegas sitting on ramp too long) Dont get me wrong... Love the realism. Big%20Grin.gifIn the learning phases of flying the NGX do you think there will be a lot of these warnings that surprise up?
The QRH comes in PDF form with the plane. You can still troubleshoot stuff using that, but the printed version certainly is more convenient. If you have an iPad or something like that, you could put the PDF version on it too - this is actually where a lot of real life airlines are moving with the manuals and charts etc.
Well, the checklist is simply that- a checklist. If you want PMDG to make you a checklist with explanations in small print below each item, than I don't think they're going to do that. Technically you wouldn't need to know every component of an entine to start it- and there's no way the aircraft can read your mind and say, "I'm not going to let you get away with starting this engine because you don't know every component." So I invite you to emerse yourself in manuals, and not necessarily hope that a checklist doesn't have easy to read steps.
Actually the second tutorial basically is this - you follow the normal procedures (and a few of the supplementary ones) from the FCOM Vol 1 as well as the narratives in the FTCM. Everything you're doing is explained - I think that's really important that people understand why they're doing something and not just what to do. It helps show just how in depth the modelling is too.
Yeah there's just incorrect terminology being used here - the 800/900 have the same warning but it's a "ZONE TEMP" light vs. the DUCT OVERHEAT one - Kurt was flying the 800. (please don't read anything into this - all will be revealed shortly with respect to the variants)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

The QRH comes in PDF form with the plane. You can still troubleshoot stuff using that, but the printed version certainly is more convenient. If you have an iPad or something like that, you could put the PDF version on it too - this is actually where a lot of real life airlines are moving with the manuals and charts etc.- now i have to buy an ipad for sure.

Peter Osborn