Sign in to follow this  
GE90110B

737NGX Fuel Planning

Hello Everyone- Does anyone have any suggestions for a way to do fuel calculations for the 737NGX? I have found this one (http://fuel.aerotexas.com/). However, it does not appear to be that accurate and you can't enter in load info, etc. -Thanks

Hello Everyone- Does anyone have any suggestions for a way to do fuel calculations for the 737NGX? I have found this one (http://fuel.aerotexas.com/). However, it does not appear to be that accurate and you can't enter in load info, etc. -Thanks
Supposedly you can use the CDU to do fuel calculations.

Doesnt the incuded documentation cover fuel planning?

Cheers,
Ryan

Professional Coffee Drinker/BAe146 Driver
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer

Supposedly you can use the CDU to do fuel calculations.
I do remember reading something about that on the forum. I can't find it now though. Does anyone remember how to use the CDU for fuel planning?

To use the CDU for fuel planning, assuming it's the same as with the MD-11, simply set everything up with loads, routing, etc. Then enter what you think the fuel load should be on the PERF INIT page. It's not terribly difficult to come close. If you have a positive amount of fuel on the PROG page and no "INSUFFICIENT FUEL" messages, you have enough. And generally speaking, you'll want the total amount at your arrival airport to be equal to your total reserve + extra fuel. It should only take one or two tries to get the fuel load perfect. Then you can go to the PMDG menu and load that amount and you're all set. As with the MD-11, I'm sure PMDG can't release performance data in regards to fuel due to it being proprietary Boeing information but any of the free or paid planners out there should get you close enough to start. Adam EDIT: I haven't actually tried this with the NGX, just the MD-11, so I apologize if what I'm saying is total rubbish....

To use the CDU for fuel planning, assuming it's the same as with the MD-11, simply set everything up with loads, routing, etc. Then enter what you think the fuel load should be on the PERF INIT page. It's not terribly difficult to come close. If you have a positive amount of fuel on the PROG page and no "INSUFFICIENT FUEL" messages, you have enough. And generally speaking, you'll want the total amount at your arrival airport to be equal to your total reserve + extra fuel. It should only take one or two tries to get the fuel load perfect. Then you can go to the PMDG menu and load that amount and you're all set. As with the MD-11, I'm sure PMDG can't release performance data in regards to fuel due to it being proprietary Boeing information but any of the free or paid planners out there should get you close enough to start. Adam EDIT: I haven't actually tried this with the NGX, just the MD-11, so I apologize if what I'm saying is total rubbish....
That is what I have doing for the 747-400X as well. It works just fine, but it would be nice to have a more elegant solution.

That is what I have doing for the 747-400X as well. It works just fine, but it would be nice to have a more elegant solution.
Yeah, I was hoping for something a little more elgant too when I first bought the MD11 for FS9...I kind of got used to it though. In real life I'm sure the dispatchers tell the flight crew what to enter but even after that point, the crew has to do some tweaking to get the correct/final fuel loaded depending on changes in weather, extra pax or bags, etc. So, you could reasonably assume that any external program will get you close, but as the captain, you'll still have to make slight modifications due to error, etc. At least that's how I rationalized it with the MD-11 so I could feel like I was doing fuel calculations based on reality....I would say you could use the website (or TOPCAT, etc.) as the "dispatcher" and you still have to come up with the final figure. Having the rest of the systems for both aircraft "Boeing Licensed" comes with the price of not allowing PMDG to release any type of fuel planner due to the proprietary nature of the fuel calcs. It's a trade-off I guess. Adam

This is sort of wired but what I have always done was take the fsx fuel needed and add a lot more fuel lol. Then at the end of the flight I take the actual fuel used and subtract it from what fsx said. I do multiple trials (3 or 4) and come up with an average difference. Then I just add it to what ever fsx tells me. Then I add reserves taxi and contingency. For example average difference mag be 5,000 lbs. So for a flight if fsx tell me 10,000lbs ill add 5. 15,000 lbs plus 5 for reserves and maybe 1 for taxi. That gives me 21,000. 10% contingency 2100 so my total fuel I would load would be 23,100 lbs. No where near official way to do it but I always land with atleased my reserve amount and 90% of the time it's atleased 4 to 5 lbs more then reserve Hope it helps.

I want the 738 FS Build File, anyone got a good one?

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

The best way (and most precise) to do fuel calculation/planning was posted here just a few days ago by emvaos, you may want to find his post, it was really informative. Since he coded the FMC - he knows this bird in &out, you should take his advice. He claimed no 3-rd part tool will be even close in accuracy.

I can't for the life of me find the Dr.'s post about fuel planning.. Anyone have any luck?

The tutorial has detailed instructions and tips for fuel calculations using the FMC. It clearly says NOT to use the default FSX fuel calculations, and maybe some other ones too. After you set up, you can transfer some values easily just by clicking on a couple of buttons, and it is not complicated at all (compared to some other features). Henri

Henri Arsenault