Sign in to follow this  
Gramps ZA

NGX harder to land than the MD11?

Obviously I need practice but I find it much more harder to put her down than the MD11, as I seem to hop some times. Perhaps Im not getting my speed pegged properly or flaring incorectly. Any suggestions?

Obviously I need practice but I find it much more harder to put her down than the MD11, as I seem to hop some times. Perhaps Im not getting my speed pegged properly or flaring incorectly. Any suggestions?
They are two very different birds. The MD 11 had a lot of drag. 737 likes to fly, so you have to start your approach and manage your energy carefully on the way down so that you're just above vref when you get there.

Chris Hicks

Don't flare till 10 feet, if you do it at 50 like the MD11 you'll float half way down the runway if you are not careful.

Cheers, Andy.

Just done 7 touch and goes at the same vref and yes I am flaring to high, getting better, thanks...

Try using the HGS too - you can put the flight path vector right where you want the plane to go while on approach (TDZ etc)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I find my best landings come from using the HUD in the 2D pannel (press "W"), begin a flare at 20 feet and keep it slowly going until touchdown while idling the engines.

Perhaps another thing that makes the 737 look "harder" to land is the MD-11's LSAS? Just saying Whistle.gif

I've just done a beautiful manual landing in Santorini with HUD is amazing, i suggest to use HUD you have all under control and you see exactly where you plane is going

This plane definately takes some getting used to. Even knowing that is was going to be hard to slow down, my first flight made me look like a darn fool, coming in waaay to hot. And yes, flew into Palm Springs, which is a 10,000 foot runway, but the TDZ is something like 3,500 feet down the runway, and I flared to early and floated a good while until I finally got the wheels down. Had to hit the reversers hard and manually break all the way down to stop in time, it was close. Need to use the HUD some more to get the feel for this thing at landing time. One quick question, am I rightin assuming the little plus symbols that rise near touchdown are flare indications? And I should pitch so the vector matches its movements?

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Best approach so far, Santos Dumont in the GOL Airlines (SFP)! Man it is fun thumping down into there! That's where I did my first few touch and goes. They were SOLID!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Best approach so far, Santos Dumont in the GOL Airlines (SFP)! Man it is fun thumping down into there! That's where I did my first few touch and goes. They were SOLID!
Yep, did 5 landings there last night and it was awesome!!!! Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

the HGS is fantastic for landing. It really could not be simpler, just put the velocity vector where you want to land and there you are =)

the HGS is fantastic for landing. It really could not be simpler, just put the velocity vector where you want to land and there you are =)
It really is a little bit like cheating, isn't it? I guess in real life, any little edge that you can get is a good one, especially when 100+ people are putting their life in your hands.

Cristi Neagu

Yeah, compared to the MD-11 she really does like to stay in the air. Much, much more responsive aircraft. Flare at 50 feet and you'll be blowing past the TDZ... like I did pretty badly on my first landing. That's why they have 12,000 foot runways, right?

-- 15-20 feet is where they flare on this particular landing.
Does the HGS Remove frames?
I haven't noticed a drop in FPS. (once you get the cursor on the other screen)