Sign in to follow this  
jncgn

Overclocking - Worth it?

Do you get pretty decent performance with your i5 2500k? I want to build a new computer, but I don't want to utilize the cash outlay for a top of the line system. I figured the i5 2500k was a pretty good compromise in terms of price and performance. Thanks.
Very pleased with mine running @4.5GHz. Overclocking is really easy with this CPU.

Sooooo,I did it ;-) Just to try it, i used the Automatic Overclocking tool of the board, which took it right up to 4,3Ghz. Had to abort the stability test (I use SETI for that ;-) ) 'cause the temp would go over 80 just after seconds.Promised my wife some icecream in the city, and off we went ;-)Now I have a Corsair H60 Watercooler which keeps it cool and quiet. At maximum load (with OC!) it's 10 degrees (Celsius that is!) cooler that with the boxed cooler and no overclocking.To answer my original question: Yep, it's worth it! FSX seems to run a lot smoother. Funny thing is, it's smoother without external FPS limiting.

Hey guys, I have an i7 920 @ 2.6.I have 2 2GB 1333Mhz Kingston memory but I see it's running at 1066MHz.I want to overclock my i7 with my EX58-UD3R motherboard.Something I have seen is that when I try to overclock from the BIOS the computer never reboots again until the motherboard forces a reboot on default settings.I have tried following different tutorials and so far I can't get it to overclock.Anyone has the same setup as I do? I want to get it up to 4GHz.Regards,Teo

Teofilo Homsany

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Just to try it, i used the Automatic Overclocking tool of the board, which took it right up to 4,3Ghz.
You are better off with a manual overclock - the automatic mode may take the voltages higher than they should go. This is a good guide: http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-sandy-bridge-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

Just chipping in with another question; what is better to OC: GPU or CPU?
CPU by miles. Overclocking the GPU for FSX doesn't really impact performance in my experience, and may lead to FSX CTD's.

Guest Greg Selenski - KAVP

I currenly have 16GB of Patriot Ram (2000Mhz), I can't seem to OC this on a ASUS Motherboard (M4a...) and a 3.3Ghz @ 4.2Ghz CPU. The stock voltage is 1.65, any ideas???

I currenly have 16GB of Patriot Ram (2000Mhz), I can't seem to OC this on a ASUS Motherboard (M4a...) and a 3.3Ghz @ 4.2Ghz CPU. The stock voltage is 1.65, any ideas???
You must have all ram slots occupied, that affects overclocking a lot.Try running with only 2 slots in dual channel mode you should be ok then. some people had some success with all ram slots populated but they had to increase dram voltage sky high to get stable overclock, risky business though, do it only if you know what are you doing, and at your own risk

I have a question about my ex-RAMS.They were 2x2. 4 GB 1333 Kingston DDR3.Now my new RAMs are 2x4 8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair DDR3.Is it OK if I install all of them on my mobo occupying all slots (double dual channel) so that total RAM amount is 12 GB? Since the older ones are 1333 MHz, does it affect overall performance worse and should i use my new 8 GB 1600 MHz RAMs only?

Murat Okay

Turkish Virtual Airlines

Senior Captain

www.turkishvirtual.com

I have a question about my ex-RAMS.They were 2x2. 4 GB 1333 Kingston DDR3.Now my new RAMs are 2x4 8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair DDR3.Is it OK if I install all of them on my mobo occupying all slots (double dual channel) so that total RAM amount is 12 GB? Since the older ones are 1333 MHz, does it affect overall performance worse and should i use my new 8 GB 1600 MHz RAMs only?
you will be very lucky if you get it to work at all m8.It is not advisable to mix different specification of ram, not to mention different manufacturers in same motherboard at the same time. In theory, if both sets of ram work at same voltage they will work at speed your slower ram is, but as i said, unlikely it wil work

I tried it and it is working with no problems. I can see 12 GB of RAM in control panel system specifications. The only thing i fear is downclocking my new RAMs since they are 1600 MHz.So which is better for FSX? Running 12 GB RAM at 1333 MHz or running 8 GB RAM at 1600 Mhz?

Murat Okay

Turkish Virtual Airlines

Senior Captain

www.turkishvirtual.com

I tried it and it is working with no problems. I can see 12 GB of RAM in control panel system specifications. The only thing i fear is downclocking my new RAMs since they are 1600 MHz.So which is better for FSX? Running 12 GB RAM at 1333 MHz or running 8 GB RAM at 1600 Mhz?
Generally downclocking is ok.I would run prime 95 or mem test to see if you are getting any errors.While system may seem stabile it may not be the case when stressed.......

There's a marked performance increase in fsx when overclocking to the 4GHz+ range.
Zachs right going 4ghz and above is were the 2500/2600k shines in fsx. Big Grin.gif

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

I agree 100% with Vedran. It will not work in that configuriation as I have tried it in the past.

Ken Ehlers
F70

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg