Sign in to follow this  
Paul Deemer

What is the obsession with the Autoland?

Some of you arm chair pilots take yourselves way too seriously Yawn.gif
+ 1

David Porrett

OOOh, it´s a game! Wait, purism mode off... 4700Kg?

Omar Josef
737/757/767

OOOh, it´s a game! Wait, purism mode off... 4700Kg?
SSSSHHHH!! Don't say game. It's a sim to see if you can guess right.

Chris Hicks

I very rarely autoland, when I do it is mostly just to test it out and it is never due to weather because I never come across weather that poor that it is needed without setting the weather manually like that.

SSSSHHHH!! Don't say game. It's a sim to see if you can guess right.
LOL.gif

Omar Josef
737/757/767

Well, for what it's worth - I autoland most of the time while I get used to the aircraft. Making sure the config is correct to be able to activate the autoland is teaching me where the buttons are and it lessons my workload during the approach and landing. (I have done a few manual approaches. The HUD really helps to get that 3 degrees right!) To say "Manual is the only real way to do it" ignores that fact that there is no co-pilot, so sacrifices have to be made depending on what type situations you find youself in and the fact you don't have a co-pilot. I would think that in the real world, if one of the pilots became incapacitated, that an autoland would most likely be used!

Matt Webb

I would think that in the real world, if one of the pilots became incapacitated, that an autoland would most likely be used!
If you are lucky to have an airfield with autoland capabilities within range yes. Cheers,

Sorry Paul but this is wrong.Very few things are left today to the pilot's "taste".Airlines decide the conditions of manual landings and 80% of Airbus landings are done via autoland actually.
+1 not too long ago i had the chance to trade a few lies with a senior pilot at SW while i was doing some paper work after a flight and he mention something that its true. this days he told me "sometimes it feels like we are up there to seat and watch the plane do it alone" I myself see nothing wrong with autoland in the sim at all, but for some simmers that are not RW pilots it sometimes creates a bad habit . I have a few simmers in the family myself and some friends that are now into siming and training in RW too . I remenber when i introduce some of my friends to vatsim they went and got in thinking it was going to be easy . when you add ATC to the picture and sometimes that nice route you see in the CDU cant be done because the controller its putting you tru your paces its not easy for some simmers. Its a good thing VATSIM its not like real world and lots of times the controller can be easy on some new pilots .

Image removed as image is no longer available.

Had to use a conversion utility for that lol. I always go by lbs, but anyway 4700kgs is 10,300 lbs?

...but anyway 4700kgs is 10,300 lbs?
1 kilogram (kg) is 2.2 pound (lb) for simplicity. Cheers,

If you are lucky to have an airfield with autoland capabilities within range yes. Cheers,
Precisely. So if I'm flying in the sim, I'm the only pilot and I'm flying to a compatible airport, then it would be realistic as well if I chose to use autoland. Bring on FS2Crew!

Matt Webb

I fly 95% of my flight on vatsim, with GA. Or should I say "flew." This is my first big airliner and I want to do the things I don't normally do. Cat 3 autoland is one of them. Can I hand fly a stable ILS in the NGX? Yes. Maybe not a stable one down to minimums but if I so desire I'll work on that later.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Oh No! sad.png Well outta my 8 hour flight with 945 nm to go I finally experienced for the first time that Freeze that others were talking about where the sim keeps going and the aircraft flys through the air frozen. Exited and restarted from last save, 8x offline till my clocks matched the zulu time. Got back to where i was supposed to be in 10 min. Logged back on vatsim and thought all was good. Then look up on the overhead and.... The Electric Hyrdaulics both have the low pressure and overheat lights on. Switched them off but not helping any even after 30 min. Funny thing is the Hyrdraulics Display showing Qty% A 70 Qty% B 95 - A Pressure 2950 B Pressure 3000. Did anyone ever find a fix for this? Other thing I notice is the fuel temp is as high as the gauge will go. Probably why the Hydraulics overheating. But the temp outside is -25c

Made it into YPPH from VRMM at 7 hrs 21 minReserve Fuel after Engine Shutdown 6,600 lbs Di you only missed it by 1600 lbs lol. Good Guess. im Not Worthy.gif