Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MRkid

How does PMDG develpo their aircraft.

We all know how amazing PMDG is, but I've always wondered what goes on behind the scenes. Thanks in advance for answering.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well they have guys who use 3D modelling programs to model the exterior/virtual cockpit. They'll have technical guys who write the code for the aircraft. Ie the gauges, panels, sounds, flight dynamics, animations etc. Texturers for all the color, panel backgrounds, display colors etc. Pilots to test the flight dynamics, modelling, textures etc. The actual testing basically. They'll also have sources for the data required. Ie, speeds, flight dynamics data, colors of textures etc.

On the FS pod cast RSR was on he even said in the development of the NGX at times they had people in real 737NG simulator talking real time with the some of the development team to match accuracy. Rather impressive!

We all know how amazing PMDG is, but I've always wondered what goes on behind the scenes. Thanks in advance for answering.
They probably gather around a swimming pool in some resort and decide on the project.Then they attend some team building session, perhaps hire a motivational speaker to boost morale.Then they rob a bank since they need this $1,000,000 to feed their families while they are hard at work.The rest is slow, painful, tedious and boring process of wrting lines of software.

Well i kinda meant what software (besides 3DS MAX) did they use. I guess I should've worded the OP differently.

Maybe Microsoft Visual Studios for the C++ or some other application that's powerful with C++ and debugging. I know they made their own SDK so they had to be neck deep in code.

The big programs used: Autodesk 3ds Max - VC and external modellingAdobe Photoshop CS5.x, Lightroom 3 - textures/photosMicrosoft Visual Studio - C++ codingAvid Pro Tools, Izotope - sounds

Can these programs especially the 3D modelling onw work well on you average GPU, average I mean what most of us have, gtx 560, 570, 580.

Can these programs especially the 3D modelling onw work well on you average GPU, average I mean what most of us have, gtx 560, 570, 580.
Vin has a GTX285, Jason has a GTX570.

Vin has a GTX285, Jason has a GTX570.
Ryan, can I ask. What is your speciality at PMDG? Coding? Modelling?

sound

Speaking of modelling, is GMAX developed by Autodesk, and are their any good tutorials on how to use it?

do Vin and Jason work full time for PMDG ? and do you know what version of 3dsmax they use? Does PMDG have specific texture guys or do the 3d moddelers do the detailed texture work for the vc vic

do Vin and Jason work full time for PMDG ? and do you know what version of 3dsmax they use? Does PMDG have specific texture guys or do the 3d moddelers do the detailed texture work for the vc vic
They have specific texture guys who do the VC/external textures

Dithanks, how do you know about all that? I know that texturing is a big part of modelling in as much as uvw unwrapping and mapping has to be done by the modeller, or at least it has to be done from within 3dsmax its self. so i am assuming from what you say that either the texture guys have access to max or they just work on the texture multi bitmaps as arranged by the moddelers. If the latter is the case it must be hard as i find you need to keep looking at your progress within max to see how the textures are looking withing the program. i know many modellers do the texture work and modelling them selves so just interested to know how this works. are you connected in some way with the guys at PMDG then? thanks vic

Dithanks, how do you know about all that? I know that texturing is a big part of modelling in as much as uvw unwrapping and mapping has to be done by the modeller, or at least it has to be done from within 3dsmax its self. so i am assuming from what you say that either the texture guys have access to max or they just work on the texture multi bitmaps as arranged by the moddelers. If the latter is the case it must be hard as i find you need to keep looking at your progress within max to see how the textures are looking withing the program. i know many modellers do the texture work and modelling them selves so just interested to know how this works. are you connected in some way with the guys at PMDG then? thanks vic
Haha I get asked that far too much. No I'm not connected to PMDG. I wish but I'm not. I've watched these forums for a longgggg time. I think they have 1 or 2 dedicated texture guys, but some of the modellers also do texturing. Mix and match really

sound
No, I do customer support and the forum. I took a good chunk of the photography that was used for the textures and I had a small role with the sounds. Armen Cholakian is responsible for the vast majority of the NGX soundset.

Well Ryan I'm sure you'd agree with us when we say that the sounds are absolutely fantastic.

How many miles of code goes into a project like the NGX?

No, I do customer support and the forum. I took a good chunk of the photography that was used for the textures and I had a small role with the sounds. Armen Cholakian is responsible for the vast majority of the NGX soundset.
Sorry about that. I thought your were pretty involved in the sound because of your music

How many miles of code goes into a project like the NGX?
I'd love to hear an approximate line count too. I'd say over 2 million easily

sound
robert said he would tell us a story about how ryan went mad with the sounds during the development :)