Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

drewsaw2

SP2 is killing my sim

I've been having a lot of trouble trying to run FSX on my new rig. After weeks of trial and error I've come to the conclusion that my issues are a result of SP2. After I install it I get major stutters and what I can only describe as tracking lines you see on a VCR, only less pronounced. Even though the fps are not recording a drop - still locked at 60 in the default flight - the stutters make it seem like its running at 5fps. It IS unplayable. After I uninstall SP2 the sim becomes smooth again. I have just rebuilt my computer completely with a new CB 750GB HDD, which was a step up from my green drive, hoping it would solve the issues. With sp2 however the performance is the same - bad. I have also followed Nicks guide to set up W7 and FSX including a defrag, so no need to recommend. I haven't come across any similar issues when searching the forums. Seems very strange. Any ideas? Cheers

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

If SP2 really were the culprit these forums would have been flooded with complaints. I suggest the problem lies elsewhere.

It is the same before applying tweaks. I've tried w/ BP and without, high value and low value poolsize. I don't think it's related Side note: Bojote's tweaks gave me blacked out textures, so I reverted back.

If SP2 really were the culprit these forums would have been flooded with complaints. I suggest the problem lies elsewhere.
You're rightBut it only occurs with the sp2. Thinking.gif

The OP does not suggest that SP2 is broken, just that on his system, it's causing a lot of problems. The problem obviously lies elsewhere, but installing SP2 is what triggered it. The "lines" could be a result of VSync being off. I prefer to play with it off, so I haven't looked into it, but I seem to remember reading that getting Vsync to work with FSX SP2 is a bit tricky. The stutters are harder to explain, especially if FSX RTM and SP1 run smoothly. I would stay away from "tweaks" until the sim is working as it should. Tweaks can help you get that last bit of performance and image quality out of an already functional and trouble-free FS setup, but it's *not* the way to fix a broken setup. I would start with the obvious like drivers and updates for everything. Then uninstall FSX completely and remove any files leftover. Then install FSX RTM and start it once. Once it's activated and initialized, exit and install SP2, then try again.

Thanks JimmiG I haven't messed with the VSync yet this time around, but one of the last installs I did I played around with it through the Inspector and I don't recall seeing an improvment with it on. "I would stay away from "tweaks" until the sim is working as it should" - thats the plan now. No tweaks untill sp2 is as smooth as sp1. I have tried the last 4 drivers without a change in performance. I have also reinstalled FSX a handfull of times now aswell outside of the program files. I'm wondering if Acceleration would give me a different result? I know it includes the same service pack, but maybe it will work on my system better than sp2. I'm just trying to think of everything

Ahhh, did you install SP 1 first? If you didnt, you need to.
Yeah, I tried the first time without but it wouldn't let me until I installed sp1

I would stay away from "tweaks" until the sim is working as it should. Tweaks can help you get that last bit of performance and image quality out of an already functional and trouble-free FS setup, but it's *not* the way to fix a broken setup.
That really is great advice!

+2 What operating system are you using? If it's Win7 be sure you installed FSX with all antivirus off (including downloading the SP's) and UAC disabled, also set it to 'run as admin'. Also, have you tried FSX in different 'modes'..... windows vs full screen.... FPS locked vs unlimited etc?

+2 What operating system are you using? If it's Win7 be sure you installed FSX with all antivirus off (including downloading the SP's) and UAC disabled, also set it to 'run as admin'. Also, have you tried FSX in different 'modes'..... windows vs full screen.... FPS locked vs unlimited etc?
I have tried different frame settings. I have not tried everything else. I could do it all again. It would be nice to know exactly what changes are made with sp2 because there in lies the answer. It does something that my system isn't responding well to. The stutters are a result of what can best be described as ripples - the graphics move like ripples or waves. Again, the frame rates seem solid. Myabe its just my video card and something in sp2.

From the MS website.... Flight Simulator X Service Pack 2 addresses these post-release customer concerns:Multiplayer compatibilityDirectX® 10 preview You dont have DX10 preview enabled in FSX do you? If so, disable it.

No I don't. If thats all sp2 does then I'm really lost. Been at this for 3 weeks now Thinking.gif

I own FSX Gold Edition and have had to reinstall after I goofed my previous intall after 11 months; I'm to blame. After careful reinstallation of FSX,before reinstalling Acceleration disc. I was adviced to run FSX once to create certain files amongst other a .cfg file. I made alittle flight during this short session. I couldn't believe it how smooth it was,Never have I experienced FSX performing like this.As soon as I installed th acceleration disc and run it again Humph I was back down to 15 FPS as it was what FSX detected my system could deliver. I know I'm below minimum specs.Waiting for the money tree to give more fruit...Worried.gif

Ripples to me sounds like vsync. Is it disabled or enabled?
I've set it to force off

Ok if it's forced off (FWIW I run it OFF as well), you'll get the ripples (the usual term is tearing). However, if I run it enabled it gets rid of tearing but I get less fps (which is normal). So, what I do is disable vsync and run an external limiter. Just google external limiter fsx or search the avsim threads for a link. I used the v.02 fps limiter. You need to have java installed if you want to use the program, otherwise you can create a command line for the .bat file.Also if you do it this way run FSX with unlimited fps in the game.

Ok if it's forced off (FWIW I run it OFF as well), you'll get the ripples (the usual term is tearing). However, if I run it enabled it gets rid of tearing but I get less fps (which is normal). So, what I do is disable vsync and run an external limiter. Just google external limiter fsx or search the avsim threads for a link. I used the v.02 fps limiter. You need to have java installed if you want to use the program, otherwise you can create a command line for the .bat file. Also if you do it this way run FSX with unlimited fps in the game.
im Not Worthy.gifim Not Worthy.gifim Not Worthy.gif Ryan, I could kiss you haha. I just went in and selected force on and it fixed it. Actually without a drop in frames in the default flight (mind you, AA and things are all off still so it looks pretty bad). Still some slight stutters but the tearing is gone. Now its on to fixing the shimmmers cheers

Actually one more thing, my Nvidia Inspector options do not look like everyone else's

You didn't click that 'funnel' thing at the top (10th icon from the Home symbol)

You didn't click that 'funnel' thing at the top (10th icon from the Home symbol)
It doesn't seem to be highlighted. Can't click

Something's wrong with the installation, then, Drew. I have the same version as you, and - once MS Flight Simulator X is selected - like yours - it can be clicked without issue. Does the button not change to a more prominent button with a surrounding black-line square as you hover the mouse over it?

Something's wrong with the installation, then, Drew. I have the same version as you, and - once MS Flight Simulator X is selected - like yours - it can be clicked without issue. Does the button not change to a more prominent button with a surrounding black-line square as you hover the mouse over it?
No it doesn't change. I had it running properly before I reinstalled the OS and drivers, but after downloading it again this time I noticed it right away. Its just blanked out. That and the show bit editor icon. I even tried an earlier version this morning - 1.9.4(?) - and was having the same issue. Strange

Hmmm... maybe uninstall it and run a registry cleaner, reboot and reinstall... see what happens.Ownership? .... UAC perhaps?