Sign in to follow this  
voodoo101

Engines turning at gate?

I have a question to ask all the experts out there. I have been watching a video of a 747 turnaround and it looks like the engines are turning at the gate. I always thought that the engines was shut down at the gate and the restarted on pushback.

What would be the reason to have the engines turning at the gate?

What you are seeing is just the big fan in front of the engine being turned by the wind. The engines are not running with the ground crew in the area.

What you are seeing is just the big fan in front of the engine being turned by the wind. The engines are not running with the ground crew in the area.
exactly

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

- and the official term is " windmilling".

Peter Osborn

I remember a flight on Piedmont Airlines one time where not only were the engines started at the gate, but the reversers were used to back the plane up (red-eye flight)! This was at Charlotte if I'm remembering right. It was, of course, years ago and a practice probably not condoned.

Here at KJAX every now and then a small airliner will pushback from the gate using reverse thrust. Mainly, ATR's when the lektro or pushbacks are not in service. Of course it gets the airport ops guys running around in a hoot when this happens. ThanksJR

I have only had that happen once when on a flight engines were started at the gate. Happened because the APU would not start so they had to roll out the ground cart (ACA 319 from KBOS to CYYZ). Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

For a time at EWR, some planes were allowed to reverse out of the gate. The term used for reverse at the gate was "power back". It was hell on the ground guys. This was a 757 from terminal B. Talk about FOD... whew... It is no longer allowed there. Not sure about other places...

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

You very rarely see powerbacks anymore. American was infamous for them with their Super 80's.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

You very rarely see powerbacks anymore. American was infamous for them with their Super 80's.
I was lucky enough to experience one, the loudness and vibrations from inside the cabin was amazing, and a very akward sensation when you're moving backwards.At the Will Rogers Airport.

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

Rear engined a/c are usually allowed to start up at the gate if the area is clear of anything or anyone.vololiberista

what event happened with the powerbacks that made them infamous?

what event happened with the powerbacks that made them infamous?
I think they fact they did them in the first place makes them infamous

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK