Sign in to follow this  
paulyg123

Trim Wheel Question

I was wondering why does the 737NGX have that annoying trim wheel spinning around? The 747, 757, 767, 77, 787? doesn't. What is the purpose of the wheel (back up I guess if the swithch on the yoke is broken?) But why only on the 737's and old 707's. Isn't this wheel spinning around annoying to the pilots? Do their ties ever get caught on it? They may seem like dopey questions, but these are the things that keep me up at nights.

Paul Gugliotta

The spinning wheel actually is very entertaining for pilots who have nothing better to do but let the autopilot fly the plane. Several pilots have been killed mid-flight from strangulation because of this wheel. Most airlines have now made it mandatory that pilots wear clip on ties.

It's a bit of a legacy from the fact that the 737 essentially uses the 707 cockpit layout. Trim wheels are kind of intuitive to operate and they do show what the trimmer is doing when they move, which a button-based system of course does not. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

The spinning wheel actually is very entertaining for pilots who have nothing better to do but let the autopilot fly the plane. Several pilots have been killed mid-flight from strangulation because of this wheel. Most airlines have now made it mandatory that pilots wear clip on ties.
Source? This sounds dangerous....

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

Good question, I'd like too see the strangulation story too. Just a bit of a joke... I wish for the day where FS trim wheel questions are what keep my mind stirring at night! Yawn.gif

He was accompanied on the flight by First Officer, May Dupp and Flight Engineer, Bo Gus Monicker, United considered changing their name to Untied as a safety procedure following the incident. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I was in the sim today (the big moving kind, not the desktop variety) and we did the "runaway trim" procedure. The trim wheel actually has a pop-out handle that made the maneuver much easier. No point, really, just good times.

Matt Cee

Yeah most people don't realize you can move the trim wheels by hand too - we modeled this, roll your mousewheel over them and they'll move without pressing the electric trim buttons.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Yeah most people don't realize you can move the trim wheels by hand too - we modeled this, roll your mousewheel over them and they'll move without pressing the electric trim buttons.
I noticed that, you did an excellent job on the trim, it works in dual rate (flaps up, not up) it will stops if column is on the opposite way of the trimming manouver (trim nose up while pitching down for example) and I tried to trim the wheel with joystick in cold and dark, found that was not possible and I clicked on the wheel and it moved. It is not too much useful if simulating failures, but funny and well done.I must try the cutout switches but I think they will work!

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Heh, I've always done it by mousewheel...didn't realize there were electric trim buttons.

I don't know if the OP's question was answered already but mine isn't: what makes that sound and why? Most planes have trim wheels and yet the 737 is the only plane I've seen with that whirling-to-click sound.

I don't know if the OP's question was answered already but mine isn't: what makes that sound and why? Most planes have trim wheels and yet the 737 is the only plane I've seen with that whirling-to-click sound.
If I had to guess, the sound is a reminder that the trim IS in motion. It's probably mechanically generated since the system is a holdover from earlier times. From what I've read, some planes without the trim wheel have some sort of tone to let you know something's happening...others don't.