Sign in to follow this  
fwerff

Does a SSD help prevent blurries?

I'm still a bit hold back by the big price on the larger SSD's, but I was just wondering, would a SSD help me in reducing or maybe even preventing blurries?I have the wonderful FlyLogic Switzerland Professional, but when flying low & fast (for example with the VRS F/A-18), it becomes a big blur.I recon this is because my Samsung 1TB harddrive is not capable of pushing out all the data that's required. Maybe with a SSD, this would be solved?I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

I don't think it helps at all with blurries. But it does make a huge difference in loading times. I used to wait minutes sometimes for FSX to boot. Now happens in seconds, and flights load in seconds too.

Paul Skol

Most likely not. The FSX scenery engine is held back by other factors, not by the speed of your storage device. One easy, low-tech way to determine this is to observe the HDD LED on your computer while flying. If it's constantly on, it means the hard drive is the limiting factor, and the computer is constantly accessing scenery data at the maximum rate allowed by the drive. If its only flickering intermittently, it means other factors are holding performance back, and the data transfer rate of the drive is not being utilized 100%. Photo scenery behaves different from normal scenery, and is very demanding on the FSX scenery engine. Also, flying low and fast is the worst possible scenario for the scenery engine. Not many are able to do that over photo scenery even with very high-end systems. You might want to try some tweaks which are generally not a good idea, but which may improve the experience with photo-real scenery. Setting FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION to something very high like 1.5 or even 2 has worked for many, then set the frame rate cap to around 20 - 30 FPS within FSX. A high TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT value of over 100 is also something many users of photo scenery and TileProxy use. You may also want to disable the AffinityMask tweak if you're using that. This will make sure all cores are processing scenery. You can reduce the Level of detail radius setting in FSX to Medium - this will make the scenery slightly less sharp in the distance, but might give the scenery engine more breathing room so it can keep up. Note that those tweaks will likely reduce the frame rate and increase stutters over conventional scenery, so you'll want to disable them when not flying over photo-scenery.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I'm still a bit hold back by the big price on the larger SSD's, but I was just wondering, would a SSD help me in reducing or maybe even preventing blurries?I have the wonderful FlyLogic Switzerland Professional, but when flying low & fast (for example with the VRS F/A-18), it becomes a big blur.I recon this is because my Samsung 1TB harddrive is not capable of pushing out all the data that's required. Maybe with a SSD, this would be solved?I would appreciate your thoughts on this.
Frank, Try this: LOCK FSX AT 30 and watch those blurries disappear. BTW: An SSD did reduce blurries for me.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I had a shock of the other kind with an SSD: FSX still doesn't load that quickly! FSX takes about 15+ seconds to startup about about 45 seconds to load a flight. Sure, that's faster than on an HDD but I was expecting around 5-10 seconds to load a flight. Windows boots nice and fast though and everything sure is quiet :) I haven't noticed any difference in the speed of textures loading in-flight. I still have big issues of switching to say the Tower view and then switching back to an airplane view and spending 20 seconds watching the ground go from low-res to high-res to some detail layers to full detail.

Yes and no. If your blurries are caused by slow texture loading - it may help assuming that other parts of your system are properly tuned. If your blurries are caused by a different factor - won't help at all. Bottom line? The ONLY way you are going to answer that question is to install one in your system and see what happens. You have a 50-50 chance of being correct. :) Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

My SSD got rid of my texture popups and reduced my load times from minutes to about <45sec.

Thanks for the feedback guys. @José, I locked the FPS at 30, just as instructed at your wonderful fsx.cfg tweak site im Not Worthy.gif , but I still have to much blurries... Maybe I'm asking to much from FSX Yawn.gif ...Guess my best option is indeed just to save up some money and buy me an SSD and try it... Won't be worse anyway, so I might as well just do it... SSD is the future anyway I guess..

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

Thanks for the feedback guys. @José, I locked the FPS at 30, just as instructed at your wonderful fsx.cfg tweak site im%20Not%20Worthy.gif , but I still have to much blurries... Maybe I'm asking to much from FSX Yawn.gif ...Guess my best option is indeed just to save up some money and buy me an SSD and try it... Won't be worse anyway, so I might as well just do it... SSD is the future anyway I guess..
Even if your new SSD doesn't help with the blurries at least you won't have to defrag your FSX drive anymore.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Thanks for the feedback guys. @José, I locked the FPS at 30, just as instructed at your wonderful fsx.cfg tweak site im%20Not%20Worthy.gif , but I still have to much blurries... Maybe I'm asking to much from FSX Yawn.gif ...Guess my best option is indeed just to save up some money and buy me an SSD and try it... Won't be worse anyway, so I might as well just do it... SSD is the future anyway I guess..
Over the years I have seen blurries be reduced by: FSX fps Locked at 30 (#1 way) This will reduce performance.Affinity Mask=15TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400TextureMaxLoad=30 (Could cause stutters on some systems)Fiber Frame Rate at 0.66 or higher. This does reduce performance. AND an SSD drive. The faster the better.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I've found that it helps reduce blurries - sometimes dramatically - on my rig. That leads me to believe that storage access times are a bottleneck on some rigs, mine included. Having said that, they're still bloody expensive for the storage space you get.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

I guess a lot of it comes down to the rig. I have probably the worst and oldest setup in this thread, run a regular HD, leave the FPS at unlimited and dont use the external FPS limiter, fly complex a/c, lot's of AI, and complex aiports and I never get blurries. I can even load up the Aerosoft F-16 and do around 400kts at 500' agl and am still fine. The only place that I can induce some blurries are in the ORBX PNW with a jet like the PMDG NGX or LDS 767, however I can fly the ORBX AU area with the same a/c and be fine.I would like to get a SSD once the 500GB or larger versions get to more reasonable prices, but mostly I want it just for the quicker OS and FSX boot, plus no more defragging after installing monster sized scenery packages.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator