Sign in to follow this  
Circletoland

NGX Engine failure and fire takeoff VIDEO

Berni, just out of curiosity, is this landing safe? I mean, are you supposed to land like this (too heavy and only flaps 15) or is it better to get rid of some fuel before you land? Cheers!
It´s a hypothetical scenario.. in real live we would have taken a long runway.. hannover, hamburg.. but anyway the return to munster was safe.. calculated with safety factors.. but it´s at the edge.. Just an simulator scenario! Burning fuel would be a good option!

Its amazing how picky some people can be lol, We get a great simulation with fidelity and depth and still people manage to find issues with a very well done example of an engine fire on takeoff and landing. That's what makes this aircraft so good, the depth which people have to go to actually find the faults or items he missed lol. For the record I know the people posting have done so in a positive manner and I hope mine is taken in the same light, text is hard to transmit tone. My point is that in previous simulations the faults with the aircraft/missing elements would be big glaring ones. unlike the small ones the op pointed out in his video ir the subsequent posters. Enjoyed watching the video, If I get an engine fire I hope I can deal with it as professionally :D

Berni, just out of curiosity, is this landing safe? I mean, are you supposed to land like this (too heavy and only flaps 15) or is it better to get rid of some fuel before you land? Cheers!
Flap 15 is a fairly standard configuration for a One Engine landing.
Nice job. Should really have put up 7700 on the transponder since you did put out a mayday, it helps ATC know you have issues if you are too busy dealing with stuff to answer radio calls and they know to get people out of your way when that number shows up on the scopes, but apart from that it was very cool indeed. Al
No real point setting 7700 if you have already informed ATC. The last thing you want to do is set their alarms bells off and have them thinking that there may be a second emergency in the area.

Whoa, what an amazing footage. I very much appreciate to listen to all the callouts and briefings, that's just the real deal. Two small question though - how come you call out speedbrakes up right between ten feet and touchdown? And secondly, did you set this aircraft up to exactly what you fly IRL, for example the 400 thru 200 feet RA callouts, as they are not on by PMDG default. Would be curious to know. Thanks a ton. sig.gif

Very informative tutorial....keep 'em coming

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

Thanks for sharing Berni!

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO

Outstanding video. Thank you for sharing your vast knowledge of the 800. Regards,jen noulet

WOW! I´m speachless. Very well done, considering he is alone in the Flightdeck.You can tell by this video, that he must be a very well trained pilot,Only wish I could do this, but I never in my life could be that good even if it´s a sim.I would suffer by a heart attack by doing and remember all that stuff under pressure. Whew.gif.GREAT VIDEO! Applause.gifApplause.gifApplause.gifApplause.gifApplause.gif/ Leffe

No real point setting 7700 if you have already informed ATC. The last thing you want to do is set their alarms bells off and have them thinking that there may be a second emergency in the area.
That would be true if every scope operator was monitoring the departure frequency upon which the mayday call was made, but they are usually dealing with their own section, however they will see the squawk code on their scope and then be aware to potentially keep things out of the way, since they will know the guy squawking 7700 is likely to want to come back around ASAP otherwise he'd have made a pan call instead, thus they will know to possibly expect him on frequency before he contacts them, which is one of the main purposes of a special transponder code. Of course this is nitpicking when the purpose of the video was more the switch procedures and stuff, but you will notice that there appeared to be a glitch with the APU start and that could potentially mean other electrics are affected when you've just had a serious failure of some kind for reasons unknown, including the TX capability of the radio, so dialing in 7700 offsets the possibility of the mayday call having been missed, which is why you should indeed do it even having made a radio call in a genuine emergency if you have time to do so. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Whoa, what an amazing footage. I very much appreciate to listen to all the callouts and briefings, that's just the real deal. Two small question though - how come you call out speedbrakes up right between ten feet and touchdown? And secondly, did you set this aircraft up to exactly what you fly IRL, for example the 400 thru 200 feet RA callouts, as they are not on by PMDG default. Would be curious to know. Thanks a ton. sig.gif
Hey, Jea thats our company configuration 1000, 500, 400, 300, 200, 100, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10.. ;) Cheers,Berni

Excellent video again - with excellent commentary. Ref the 7700 - Its a dynamic answer really to this - personally I'd like to know over the RT first(when the pilot as the chance) but then selecting it does help, as other posters have pointed out, it alerts other Units that a Mayday is in progress - so they may think twice about making a telephone call or requesting something that maybe not neccessary - in a case like this where it as departed it may still be on the tower or maybe departure frequency(some units have autochange on dep and some pilots(wrongly) select it on the the ground) so if it declared the mayday on the dep frequency the tower controller would see the 7700 code - and hopefully then not launch something up the back end of it - and in fact start to think about vacating anything lined up off the runway in case the problem is more serious and the aircraft is going to turn directly back to land on the opposite end. This all said the last thing Id want is the pilot worring about sticking 7700 on straight away - when there more important things to consider - the hardest situation for ATC is knowing when to talk and when not to - ATC dont want to disturb the pilots when they are dealing with this situation but also they can sometime offer a quikcer solution or at least start to get things set up quicker to assist the pilot if the pilot is able to communicate the issues and needs. Anyhow - keep the videos coming - they are excelent to watch, i love to see the little details of how things get set up which are outside of what the normal things we glean from manuals etc - seeing real world SOPS in operation and Pilot tips makes using the NGX so much more indepth. Berni - can I suggest that you have a think about some of your "Wish list" items and submit them in a ticket to PMDG so that they can be considered for the Service Packs.