Sign in to follow this  
tfm

You might like these eyepoint settings

I recently bought a new PC and am slightly regretting the hassle of getting everything reinstalled. However, I have been forced to re-discover how I got FSX to give me my preferred view in the virtual cockpit. You get to see much more of the panel without losing anything useful from the window. From my very dim recall, it more closely resembles what you actually "see" - albeit of course with a different field of vision - when sitting in the cockpit. You might like it too. Find the "cameras.cfg" file (in the same folder as fsx.cfg). Go to the "Virtual Cockpit" section (usually under the heading "[CameraDefinition.002]"). Add this setting: "InitialPBH=16,0,0". Try the NGX. If you don't like it, delete the line you added. All the best Tim

What exactly is being changed when adding this line? Is it moving the camera position backwards to see more of the main instrument panel? If so, then you can save lots of work by just setting everything when flying..

What exactly is being changed when adding this line? Is it moving the camera position backwards to see more of the main instrument panel? If so, then you can save lots of work by just setting everything when flying..
Aykut It shifts the angle of vision very slightly downwards so that when you reset (ctrl+space) and with zoom at 0.6 you'll always see the PFD and other useful instruments, as well as a good slice of the outside world below the horizon including (if you're on approach or taxiway) the runway. It is (IMHO) a slightly better and more realistic perspective, bearing in mind that in real life one simply moves one's eyes up and down to see what's necessary: something that's not possible in FSX. Tim

many people don't know how to set up virtual viewpoints well... until you've sat in real cockpits as a pilot as I have everyone wants to have the view as the old FS versions had in the 2D cockpit... a child's viewpoint, way too low ... in reality, you should be up quite high in the VC view, with a necessary down tilt or hot key from EZDok to see the PFD... that's why in real life we can not see the PFD without looking WAY down below the glare shield! That's why the copilot calls out the ref speeds on final because the guy flying in a jet can not afford to take his eyes off the outside.... a 67% viewing window is what I use with a high up view, where I can see a little bit of the nose... or perfectly alighned with the HUD if needed... but close forward up to it for sure!

many people don't know how to set up virtual viewpoints well... until you've sat in real cockpits as a pilot as I have everyone wants to have the view as the old FS versions had in the 2D cockpit... a child's viewpoint, way too low ... in reality, you should be up quite high in the VC view, with a necessary down tilt or hot key from EZDok to see the PFD... that's why in real life we can not see the PFD without looking WAY down below the glare shield! That's why the copilot calls out the ref speeds on final because the guy flying in a jet can not afford to take his eyes off the outside.... a 67% viewing window is what I use with a high up view, where I can see a little bit of the nose... or perfectly alighned with the HUD if needed... but close forward up to it for sure!
I agree with that. I have set up my viewpoints according to the real thing since i already had the pleasure to sit down in many different airliners, most of them being 738's. There's also something that a PC simulator on a screen will never give you: The 3 dimensional feeling and seeing. And as Tim already said, it's just moving your eyes during take off and landing when checking speed, altitude, V/S or anything else on the PFD or ND. I have to say, due to the fact that i'm tall i also didn't have a big distance between the overhead panel and my head, which was quite annoying since i had my shirt stuck on the fuel pump switches when i was leaving the seat, lol. But still..

If you could post a screen shot that would be great!

Here you go. I'm in mid-flight or I'd show you a snapshot in approach, but you can see how much easier it is take all the relevant info onboard during an instrument sweep just moving your eyes. But really, it's so easy, the best thing is just to try it and see if you like it. If not, don't use it. Tim

Here you go. I'm in mid-flight or I'd show you a snapshot in approach, but you can see how much easier it is take all the relevant info onboard during an instrument sweep just moving your eyes. But really, it's so easy, the best thing is just to try it and see if you like it. If not, don't use it. Tim
This is entirely my opinion, and I might be wrong, but I think the projection on the HGS combiner looks unrealistic, but then I have never sat in the real thing.

PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Chidiebere Anyahara

... and here is KIAD 19C in sight. Tim

Thank you Tim! I really love this setting.I always use this angle when Ianding and now I don't need to move down my sight everytime after centering eyepoint :)

Hi, if I would like to change the view to my preferences how to increase and/or decrease the values to modify the view ? --- Add this setting: "InitialPBH=16,0,0". --- I mean, if I want to unzoom the main view and if I want to move to the right a while, which value and in which way do I have to modify them ? Is there perhaps a way to assign a key to a lateral VC view ? It would be useful when taxing to check right and left traffic. This because if you use the num pad within FSX it goes crazy and it never comes back to the default view in a precise way. Thx

Hi, if I would like to change the view to my preferences how to increase and/or decrease the values to modify the view ? ---  Add this setting: "InitialPBH=16,0,0". --- I mean, if I want to unzoom the main view and if I want to move to the right a while, which value and in which way do I have to modify them ? Is there perhaps a way to assign a key to a lateral VC view ? It would be useful when taxing to check right and left traffic. This because if you use the num pad within FSX it goes crazy and it never comes back to the default view in a precise way. Thx
Best way is trial and error. However, here is the complete low-down:http://msdn.microsof...y/cc526984.aspxAs for moving your viewpoint "on the fly" and getting FSX to "reset" the viewpoint: if you have a joystick with two hat switches then assign the "move viewpoint" forwards/back/left/right commands to the second hat switch (with a high "repeat" rate) and assign the "reset viewpoint" command to a spare button. (For some reason, setting the "repeat" rate to high does not always work first time around and you have to try twice or three times but it works eventually).This makes moving about the VC much easier than if you only have a single hat switch for "looking around": it lets you move the viewpoint, and THEN "look around" once you've got your viewpoint moved to the desired position and then INSTANTLY revert to your usual viewpoint.This method is very intuitive once you've set it up. I've never felt the need for TrackIR or anything like that.Tim

Does this work if you have a saitek yoke and just tilt the view down a little?? Whats the difference

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK