Sign in to follow this  
rocketfs

Service Pack better be good

Absolutely false. We always stated that the Boeing manuals would be included as PDFs. There was a short period where we weren't sure we were going to be allowed to include the QRH PDF, but after that was confirmed I said that would be included as well. If you want me to go find the exact post links I will.
In that case, I stand corrected and I apologise to PMDG. Now, I am not unhappy with buying the manuals. I bought them at forehand (in the US to save money on transport), my descision, no problem.It's the CTD's that frustrate me. The cost of the manuals adds to the frustration, I hope anyone can understand that. About the sim itsself: amazing, no doubt about it. I only hope my problems get fixed. Bert Van Bulck

Bert, How do the CTDs you're seeing happen? If they're completely random and happen out of nowhere they're almost surely the result of resource starvation in FSX (contiguous virtual address space) and not something we can really "fix". What are your system specs and what scenery addons are you running at the time when this happens? The basic background is that FSX is a 32-bit application and there's absolutely no way around the hard 4GB VAS limit. If it tries to allocate more than that or if it tries to allocate a large contiguous chunk and can't find unfragmented space for it, the sim is gonna CTD every time. It's the "physics" so to say of how applications work in Windows and DX9. Your video memory amount counts against the 4GB limit too because in order for FSX to address it, it has to be copied/shadowed into the application's VAS. We've had cases at support where people install 3GB video cards and the sim won't even run because it's sitting there with 1GB or less of addressable space after the video memory, which isn't enough to even load the sim and plane. If your crashes are a repeatable thing that's caused by doing something in the FMC or if it's the type of thing where the panel freezes but the sim keeps running, then it'll likely be solved in SP1.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

i also only had one single CTD with the ngx,all other fligts no problems,i agree it is your setup not the ngx.Tell us which programs you have installed in fsx

i dont have any issues expect for ORBX airports but I believe these airports are very prone to overload the resources they are way ahead of their time from a hardware perspective and we must carefully compromise to run them. I do also have some issues with saved flights where by i get a corrupt flight situation file and I have to load the default FSX situation and re save my 737 NGX situation but I can live with that, no CTD or anything like that and I have heaps of stuff on my PC, contrary to PMDG advise I do use Game Booster but am selective on services that I stop, I find it does help to free up resources at least in win7 64 bit. I dont doubt there are issues but we are quick to blame the NGX when it could be something we have done or an addon etc

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

- no crashes from very beginning ... with win7/64 i7 2600 6gb gtx 570 + full compliance with pmdg INTRODUCTION / requirements - try to find the reason inside

Gro your system is very similar to mine, I only get frames around 20-30 on the ground for australian airports but in the air I can get up to 70+ with all addons running seems to keep going no matter what I throw at it amazing even with low frame rates sometimes around 10 with Orbx it is still flyable, Win7 64 bit is a must glad I made that move a while back

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

Well... what can I say that I haven't said anywhere else? About the CTD problems... well, if you're getting them, it's a problem with you, not with the NGX. There are tons of people, myself included, who never had any problems with it. That can only mean it's something specific to your setup. Before the NGX was released, I can't tell you from where, I knew that most of what is included with the printed manuals would come with the NGX (excluding the posters and system cards). I do believe PMDG made a post on what exactly came with the NGX. I've seen it, so most likely have others. And as far as the SP goes, It's not even 12pm here (GMT+2). In Reno they're still working late on the 22nd. My guess is that the SP will be released in about the same timeframe that the NGX has, which is about 1-2am zulu time, on the 24th. So keep your panties on.

Cristi Neagu

I was also having CTD's, i even got to the point of logging a job with the support desk at PMDG. In the end i reinstalled my entire PC, moving my FS installation onto another SSD (away from the OS); at this time i did two flights both were over 3 hours from payware airports and i had no issues at all. I then installed MyTraffic X pro, and back came the CTD's. I was running about 50% autogen airlines and 60% general aviation traffic. I knocked this down to 20% and 25% respectively and the CTD's stopped again. Now it's worth pointing out that these CTD's do not happen (even with the increased autogen) on the CS 707, or the PMDG J41. I think that we can draw the conclusion that the NGX is much harder on the sim (probably memory) than any other addon. When testing (with the reduced autogen) i was getting to 3.2Gb of memory in use, this would drop back to 2.2 or so when using 8x speed i.e. the traffic vanishes. One further thing i noticed was that CPU use never got above 20-25%, the sim doesn't even make my system break a sweat, in terms of total load (CPU and memory) i see more resource use when Hearts of Iron, media player and Firefox are running. Ryan was correct, we are now starting to reach the limit of a 32-bit application, i would suggest that we are going to start seeing more issues and eventually having to turn features off to get the sim stable.

Ian R Tyldesley

Not absolutely sure (i'm no expert) but i think UIAutomationCore is linked to menu related crashes.regards,
That's correct, but some people may confuse it when the sim suddenly crashes without noticing it was when they tried to get to a menu

That's correct, but some people may confuse it when the sim suddenly crashes without noticing it was when they tried to get to a menu
That makes sense.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Not yet, but it's only been the 23rd for 7.25 hours where RSR lives.

I would like to come to PMDGs defence her. I too have had problems with the NGX - in my case the disappearence of the HGS display. It turned out to be a DLL.XML file corrupted by another add-on produced by a third party developer who didn't understand the way in which control characters are interpreted by Notepad.. - I posted the file to to PMDG and they fixed it for me within 24 hours - even though it wasn't caused by their product . Now that is one helluva customer service proposition ! -and as rare as hens teeth in the current market. Further investigation by me of of random CTDs revealed a corrupt Simconnect installation - nohting to do with the NGX at all. The CTDs just happened to to occur when I was flyng the NGX. Unfortunately there is no way to fix thisother than a complete re-installation ( I have tried the Flight one simconnect fix msi and manually editing the entries in the Windows directory prior to running repair but neither option woirked for me.). I am going to take the opportunity now of upgrading my PC with a new sandybridge processor which I will overclock before I re-install everything again from scratch. I have around 12GB of add ons running on a highly tuned system so re-installation and optimisation is no easy task. For 90% of the time my system it runs brilliantly with a rock solid overclock, but I generally have to re-intsll FSX once a year as I find that for some reason it tends to degrade to point at wihich I get some form of irresolvable corruption and CTDs. I don't know why, it just seems to be one of those things. I don't think CTDs reported here can in all cases be blamed on NGX - it might just be the straw that breaks the camels back on a system that is already collapsing. . I think the problems we all face with FSX come down to the limits of 32 bit processing coupled with poorly written FSX engine that was never optimised or corrected by MS (the bizzarre FSX weather programme is case in point). The Aces team were sacked before they could get SP3 out which would have addressed a lot of these issues . So we all have to live with its failing., including PMDG whom I think have done a helluva job working around most of them.