Sign in to follow this  
themose

If only..

If no FSX addons are compatible with it, then what's the point of buying it? If I had to make do with default FSX scenery and planes, then I wouldn't be using that either!
Me neither, but that isn't the case. From where do you get the impression that NO FSX addons are compatible? Some are, but some aren't. P3D isn't an upgraded version of FSX, but an upgraded version of Microsoft's ESP. Some of the improvements done by Lockheed Martin means that some FSX addons won't be compatible since they rely on old outdated features found in FSX. Most aircraft are compatible, but addons that do changes to the default FSX naturally aren't since P3D is a different software with different code and folder structure.REX is a partner with Lockheed Martin and I am sure we will se a dedicated version for P3D soon.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Let us not forget that this is The Microsoft Flight Forum. So really this thread should be about comparing Prepar3D with Flight and not FSX. To make this thread meaningful, perhaps one of you Prepar3D users could post shots of Hawaii so we can see how it compares with Flight.

Let us not forget that this is The Microsoft Flight Forum. So really this thread should be about comparing Prepar3D with Flight and not FSX. To make this thread meaningful, perhaps one of you Prepar3D users could post shots of Hawaii so we can see how it compares with Flight.
laugh.png
If no FSX addons are compatible with it, then what's the point of buying it? If I had to make do with default FSX scenery and planes, then I wouldn't be using that either!
Give it time... IMHO, neither P3D not Flight are ready for prime time - but they both have activedevelopment going on.. and several add-on developers are working on P3D as well,which should give us all reason for hope!

Bert

I know what Mathijs of Aerosoft said about their trials. At best, no improvement, at worst a serious fps drop when some scenery is not changed for P3D. So, this means that P3D is already not compatible with FSX in certain ways and any products you may have for which there will be no P3D versions may suffer as a result. Furthermore, the values for the sliders in FSX no longer match P3D. We do not know what the exact changes are, some subjective out-the-window view is all we have. Since most people who have been testing P3D have a lot of stuff installed in FSX and they cannot possibly have all of them installed in P3D, we are not comparing apples to apples. All I know is that no ground-breaking improvements to how the data is processed and then rendered have been implemented in P3D. Consequently I have a hard time believing the reported gains in fps, especially given the subjective nature of the data.
P3D isn't FSX so I don't understand why you keep going on about this? The only fair comparison is using P3D with P3D addons and FSX with FSX addons. I do however completely agree that most data we have seen is of subjective nature. But improvemnts in fps isn't all that matters. Stability, less stutters and a team of programmers that interact with users is of great value to some of us.

Stability, less stutters and a team of programmers that interact with users is of great value to some of us.
+ no popping autogen, + full SLI implementation (2,3 or 4 cards) and get a 3GB card since they are using 4096 res.,+ making use of all core on your CPU on one PC (8 core are comming) + multithreading + DX10 or DX11, bloom enable, Ambient Oclusion, 64-bits so we can use all 12GB memory if needed + been able to use ground shadow with ALL 3rd party scenery (some scenery don't show the right ground shadow in relation to the sun) should I go on...?? So if Prepar3D is not FSX (reworked) it will be easy to get all of the option I wrote above working in the same way as a game like Battlefield 3....if Prepar3D is not FSX I assume that prepar3D is somewhere in the Nvidia Inspector settings or the Nvidia control panel....nop it's not there....I installed some Nitro on my Corvette racing car....the car goes faster but it still a corvette...

Prepar3D is not FSX, neither reworked nor identical, it is what it is; a mission simulator using ESP. Adding improved bloom to a mission simulator is not likely to be especially high on the priority list for LM, since it is not a game that is sold on eye candy, as Battlefield 3 is, it is intended for training. That is more likely to be Flight's remit. Thus the priority for P3D will be in operational capability and its ability to network to training and operator stations without problems, not how good it is for screenshots on the back of a DVD case in Games R Us. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

So if Prepar3D is not FSX (reworked) it will be easy to get all of the option I wrote above working in the same way as a game like Battlefield 3....if Prepar3D is not FSX I assume that prepar3D is somewhere in the Nvidia Inspector settings or the Nvidia control panel....nop it's not there....I installed some Nitro on my Corvette racing car....the car goes faster but it still a corvette...
Alain, What in the heck are you talking about? In as few words as possible, what is it you are trying to say? Each post seems to contradict the ones you wrote before. Maybe it's just me, being dull or dim witted or something. Please old friend make it real simple, what are you trying to say? Kind regards,

From what I can gather a lot of people still have problems with stutters and blurries on top of the line PCs when running FSX, so it doesn't all come down to hardware limitations. My own experience on a low end computer is that some of the addons actually increase the performance of FSX. My Traffic X and REX being good examples of that.

P3D isn't FSX so I don't understand why you keep going on about this? The only fair comparison is using P3D with P3D addons and FSX with FSX addons. I do however completely agree that most data we have seen is of subjective nature. But improvemnts in fps isn't all that matters. Stability, less stutters and a team of programmers that interact with users is of great value to some of us.
P3D is 99% FSX. Flight will likely have less FSX DNA than P3D has now. I don't have a horse in this race. I am just a bystander with development experience who is trying to look at Flight, FSX and P3D objectively, without becoming a ###### for any of them.

I'm a ###### of all of them, so I'm riding three horses at once, and we all know where that will take you... :)

full SLI implementation (2,3 or 4 cards)
SLI is for nutters who smoke 50 pound notes for fun.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.