Sign in to follow this  
lehbird

Can I run w/ a 32 Bit System?

Do I have any shot of running NGX with a 32 bit system such as this: XP SP2 32 bitDual Core Processor4 GB RAMGeoforce 1024 MB Video Card Thanks!!Dave

Sure, just don't goof around with anything other than FSX on that machine while flying and pay attention to what processes are running. I've been successful on a 32-bit Vista installation with the NGX since release (with UT2, EZDock, and EFB's data provider running on it...everything else is on a networked machine). That video card will chew into your available memory for FSX a bit, from what I've read, but you'll probably do ok. BTW, look up the BCEDIT virtual address command in here to boost the available memory for FSX. I don't recall the exact string to type out, but it definitely helps.

As FSX is a 32-bit program it should not be no problems, BUT you will probably have low fps. Use the FSX the "extend over 3GB memory" fix. That might help a bit.

On the FPS side of things, I don't play the "watch the FPS numbers" game, but rather pay attention to smoothness. I run things at normal/complex detail, but skimped on a couple AA graphics settings to achieve smooth performance (not at home to review settings ATM). I'm quite happy with the results and, meanwhile, FSX doesn't look like crap-on-a-plate outside the window. ;)

As FSX is a 32-bit program it should not be no problems, BUT you will probably have low fps. Use the FSX the "extend over 3GB memory" fix. That might help a bit.
The problem with 32-bit has nothing to do with FPS - it's virtual address space (memory mapping essentially). 32-bit's limited to 4GB total for the OS and FSX together and you can very easily run out of it using a lot of addons. If it happens FSX will freeze, CTD, give an out of memory error etc.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

The problem with 32-bit has nothing to do with FPS - it's virtual address space (memory mapping essentially). 32-bit's limited to 4GB total for the OS and FSX together and you can very easily run out of it using a lot of addons. If it happens FSX will freeze, CTD, give an out of memory error etc.
For the record, only one OOM or CTD, and that was on release night. No problems since then, constantly flying FSCaptain runs. :D

Where did you get that info? It's incorrect.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Im running the 737 on a very low end 32bit system. Never had an oom crash. Of course I have backed off on the settings and only run the ngx and no other addon. On the scenery settings all sliders are approx 3/4 to the right. Autogen turned off at night and very low for day. And for traffic I usually run airline traffic at 10 percent. For weather, I usually set a high layer of cirrus clouds. The ngx looks and runs very good considering the low specs of my computer. I have frames locked at 23 and always get 22fps in 2d. I usually takeoff and land using the hud in vc and get between 17 and 20 fps while in vc. The vc fps drops to 10 to 11 fps when first switching to vc, and after a second or two jumps back up to 17 to 20. Certainly doesnt look as good as the latest i5 or i7 but I have really enjoyed fsx with the ngx. I will be upgrading my computer in a year or so. Till, then, Ill be using my 32bit system for the ngx.

Hi @all,i am running a low end system (core2duo 3GHz, 4GB ram ati 4800 HD,W7 32bit)Only Addons i have is the MD11 and Mega airport munich by Aerosoft and IVAP (MD11+MA Munich= ~20fps)I've never experienced any OOM.Will i be able to run the NGX?

regards,

Alexander Marx

Hi @all,i am running a low end system (core2duo 3GHz, 4GB ram ati 4800 HD,W7 32bit)Only Addons i have is the MD11 and Mega airport munich by Aerosoft and IVAP (MD11+MA Munich= ~20fps)I've never experienced any OOM.Will i be able to run the NGX?
With modest settings, yes. Just don't expect to run autogen on very dense or high traffic.

One thing I do that allows me to run without OOM's or freezes, on my Vista 32bit system, is set ManualLoad to True on all my aircraft addon and optional utility DLL's in the dll.xml file. (These are the ones that when you first run for the first time you get a security message before it loads) Then when FSX starts, it will ask whether or not to load, I say no to all my addon aircraft DLL's except for the one for the NGX, and any utility(s) that I'm nt using in that session. This reduces the amount of memory used up front, which is important, because not only do you have to have enough VAS available, it has to be contiguous space. Else you can have fragmented memory space. in which case even though you may appear to have enough address space available, you can sill get a OOM, freeze or CTD, because there is not a large enough contiguous space available for the memory required. So if you have a large amount of 3rd party addons that require preloaded DLL's you may need to do this in order to run the NGX. Since I've been doing this I haven't had any problems and FSX runs smoother. External addons like ASE, AISmooth, shouldn't be affected, since they all run in there own address space, and interfaces with FSX via SimConnect, or FSUIPC

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I have Windows XP/32 SP3,FSX SP 2, quad core Phenom II OC'd at 3.9, 8800GT akimbo Nvidia GFX card,4 GB DDR3 RAM, UT2,GEX,REX HD, Track IR, EZDok, Bojote's autotweaks and this is what I get with the NGX at Flytampa's Kai Tak.

Alex Chung