Sign in to follow this  
Eziocin

g3d.dll......help ..!

You haven't had I guess?It might be scenery dependable, I am testing deeply the Aerosoft sceneries, single airports. I didn't find missing GUIDs anywhere else.We need to find a way, if there is one, to change how the scenery loads! How far away what part of the scenery... that way it's way easier to prevent a g3d.dll. Just see my examples.I also noticed that airports that were crashing were loading runways and taxiways first, at least it looked like that, the others loaded terrain first, at least it looks like that, a big colored smudge visible from pretty far away! EBBR and EDDF first load runways onto a green palette and then taxiways, and when you get close, the ground appears. Could that be a cause for trouble????
Word Not Allowed,As I too have these errors at EBBR and EDDF, and sometimes Madrid, I don't have any missing libary alerts for any of the FSDT addons, ( I have the complete collection). you mention some way of controlling the way Aerosoft airports loads, and would be good if it could be done they way FSDT loads there airports, for example:[FSDREAMTEAM]AltitudeCull=1AntiPopUp=100Thought it might be worth mentioning.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Word Not Allowed,As I too have these errors at EBBR and EDDF, and sometimes Madrid, I don't have any missing libary alerts for any of the FSDT addons, ( I have the complete collection). you mention some way of controlling the way Aerosoft airports loads, and would be good if it could be done they way FSDT loads there airports, for example:[FSDREAMTEAM]AltitudeCull=1AntiPopUp=100Thought it might be worth mentioning.
I think in case of Aerosoft sceneries, they are probably hardcoded into objects, bgl files? I don't know how else it would first load one thing, then another... it must be in the bgl, or some other file, where it says which files are being loaded further away...

I think in case of Aerosoft sceneries, they are probably hardcoded into objects, bgl files? I don't know how else it would first load one thing, then another... it must be in the bgl, or some other file, where it says which files are being loaded further away...
Ok, see what you mean. I am going to remove EBBR as it is in the path for a lot of my flights from the UK to Germany and beyond. I just cannot overly anywhere near it without a CTD, even @ FL370.@ EDDF, I no longer get a CTD, as I had downloaded the wrong update ( latest) FS9, and that was why I was geting a dozen or so missing libary alert. ( I should have put my glasses on when I downloaded the update).

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Ok, see what you mean. I am going to remove EBBR as it is in the path for a lot of my flights from the UK to Germany and beyond. I just cannot overly anywhere near it without a CTD, even @ FL370.@ EDDF, I no longer get a CTD, as I had downloaded the wrong update ( latest) FS9, and that was why I was geting a dozen or so missing libary alert. ( I should have put my glasses on when I downloaded the update).
And that's a good point Julian, has anyone got FS9 scenery in FSX, which as you have found out wil cause the CTD and also missing Objects

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

Yes, I thought about that. It is very easy to download the wrong update at " My Acoount" as they, aerosoft, put FSX/FS9 next to the download link. There is no warning either when installing, which is a bit sloppy, as it installs fine, even though you are installing it to the incorrect version. It let's you do it, what's with that!!! rolleyes.gif

Aerosoft have always been a bit sloppy, generally...

So, I was wondering, how many designers when converting FS9 to FSX have possibly left in FS9 objs?......thoughts?

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

Glad to see I started such an interesting thread..!!!Just an update from my side.....after I installed the Object libraries (with only partial benefits for g3d.dll crashes...) I made some changes in my FSX and PC set up: I relaxed the RAM timing by setting it to Auto, and removed ALL the fsx.cfg tweaks (I left only the hignmemfix). I didn't notice any impact on FSX performance, but I am now experiencing g3d.dll crashes with much less frequency....actually only EBBR is still giving me headaches on a 100% cases. EDDF and EDDM are now OK for me (also with UTX enabled)......I have been approaching and landing into both airports from all directions, using the NGX and I had no CTD.....and this could be replicated on 3 or 4 times. I cannot tell if this is a consequence of the changes I made....or if this is just part of the "random" behaviour of FSX....However this makes me think of another question which may not be strictly related with the subject of this thread: are we 100% sure that the "hystorical" fsx.cfg tweaks are still valid and useful even on the latest, more powerful machines, using new CPUs ?Regards

AMD Ryzen 7800x3d, Asus ROG Strix RTX4090, Asus x670e-e, G-Skill F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR

Like you Jackson, I removed most of my tweaks, kept FFF, Highmem, and AF=14. It has never run smoother. Bufferpools was one that gave me the most headache, removing completely made a huge difference.now if we can solve the G3d problem...........

Yep, bufferpools was also the issue with me to. This afternoon I added it back in and FSX stuttered like hell, removed it stuttering went away.Simbio,Any luck with the guide for creating obj BGL files?

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

Sorry to stir the pot up with this one, but here goes.Same usual suspects, NGX, Orbx and everything else. I was having g3d.dll errors consistently over the OLM Vor in PNY with my OCed 9650 and a GTX285. Solved my issues first by removing the Affinity mask tweak. Unfortunately, this only reduced the errors. Then I rolled back to a very old driver that some believe to be the best Nvidea driver of them all, 182.50. This totally resolved the errors. Then like an idiot, I went out and got a GTX560ti and installed the card and new drivers without letting FSX build a new fsx.cfg file. This led to the g3d.dll errors again. I then started adjusting ram timing and worked on making the memory environment as rock solid as I could through the bios. This reduced the random g3d.dll's and also removed entirely any random freeze, lockup, or fullscreen/windowed switch error I might get. The system seemed more stable then ever, but....... I was still able to get a 100% repeatable g3d.dll error over the OLM Vor in PNW. It didn'r matter if I was flying, slewing, with FMC, without FMC, weather, no weather, nothing mattered really. Then I deleted my fsx config and let fsx rebuild it. I didn't change anything and flew the flight with the PMDG from setac to 10 miles past OLM. No crash. I then started adding this tweak and that tweak one by one to the cfg file and testing after each change. Lucky for me, the crash was repeatable even in slew mode, so I was able to do each test in less than 5 minutes. After all was said and done, my system is now completely stable, no g3d.dll crashes over OLM, or anywhere else for that matter. For this particular system, the one causing the error was any mention of "poolsize=x". It didn't matter what the value of "x" was the system for some reason does not like that fsx.cfg entry.Same computer, different vid drivers and different vid card had different solutions for me. After doing lots of reading lately on how FSX moves data from CPU to ram to video card, in my humble and possibly wrong opinion, I believe that we are having a memory management issue and that it is being caused by huge amounts of data (latest Scenery addons and very hi resolution VC's) being moved in a very ineficient way (FSX) while the CPU is being worked extremely hard by newer aircraft addons (NGX.dll's) resulting in data being missed, corrupted or skipped because FSX was not coded with the flow management needed to do what we may be asking it to do.I think the solution will be different for each system, and if you haven't tried deleting your fsx.cfg file and letting fsx rebuild it, then it's a great start.JB
GuysI havent managed to read through all these posts yet as its late here in the UK but I feel the need to try and dampen some of these assumptions that we are all taxing our systems too much and its causing these errors which, sorry to burst a few bubbles, isn't exactly true.I've been plaqued with them and like the above post could 100% invoke a g3d.dll crash around the OLM VOR south of Seattle. This was using the now infamous FTX PNW scenery, I would also gets crashes approaching Seattle and up round Darrington and Concrete (again using their sceneries), please read the following post which is an archived post I made back in Feb on another forum demonstrating everything I had tried to do to no avail. To those that are starting to assume this error is caused by high settings, tweaked fsx.cfgs, too much scenery installed are assuming incorrectly. I did many MANY tests in the PNW area and it would crash between 5mins to an hr or longer (totally random).The first thing one should do if he continues to have errors is to delete the fsx.cfg file and test using an UN-TWEAKED version, I did this and it still crashed, I also removed ALL system overclocks, wiped the entire system, reinstalled FSX with ONLY PNW and a Cessna 152 Carenado aircraft as its not a heavy load, lowered autogen to ZERO, clear skys, no ai traffic and FSX STILL crashedWorried.gif I seriously do NOT believe there is any way to fix this, it's caused plain and simply by a ridiculously poorly written program which isnt as open ended as its meant to be to allow and modifications or addons (I blame backwards compatibility). Sorry guys but I've read about it all over the net for the past yr and tried every single tip. May I add it happens the odd time in other areas but PNW is notorious for giving it. I didnt get it on my last pc build which wasnt as good as this one and had the same installed products. I followed FTX forums with people saying remove Vason (spelling) which was a freeware scenery from them, also remove OBx freeware NA scenery, did all that but still crashed, I even jst ran the original installer of PNW (version 1.0) without any patches and the latest Libs file...crashed still.There's also loads of assumptions it only happens on Windows 7 and Vista because it was built before Vista was completely released to the market but I can confirm G3D,DLL crashes occurs also in XP(x64). My current system specs are at the bottom of this post. Im still to try the missinglibrary tweak or the scenery library downloads mentioned previously but will do in the next couple of days. Just for the record the NGX has only been available for a couple of months so its not causing these errors which have been around for a number of yrs now. I added the missing texture alert in my cfg and the NGX has a missing gauge15 BTW, I'll make a seperate post on the PMDG forum regarding that one.Heres my post from Feb, apologies for it being long but it will give a clearer picture about my frustrations at this error, but also quiet frustrations with so many posters saying try this as it will work when I know it doesn'tShocked.gifOriginal Feb PostAfter being an avid fan of aviation most of my life and enjoying thefreedom to ‘travel’ anywhere in the world in the sim for the past 8years I’m having to give it up to save my sanity.Over the years I’ve enjoying using FS9 then into FSX, purchased £100sand £100s of pounds on add ons but more importantly spend thousands onpc hardware and upgrades to get the best performance it can give. Assome of you know I have one heck of a high specification pc but thatall means nothing when you have a program like FSX which is so full ofbugs and errors which the FS Community fail to find solutions for.Only 4 months ago I went from an i7 920 to a 980X and my 295GTX up toa 480GTX, also changed my 1600 (8.8.8.24) DDR3 memory to 1600(6.8.6.24), these 3 items cost me in excess of £1200 and what a wasteof money it’s been. This follows spending about £2000 building anupgraded system about 12 months before and about £3000 18 monthsbefore that.I’ve become SO frustrated trying everything possible to get rid of thedreaded errors and CTDs that besiege FSX. In Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) Ioften got the dreaded Black Screen of Death, often caused by switchingto the desktop or simply clicking a menu and the graphics systemfailing to redraw the screen though the sound continued. There was noway out of it apart from closing the sim and starting again. I wasgetting NTDLL.dll errors and more frustrating G3D.dll errors. Couldhappily be flying along and between 10mins or over 2hrs the sim wouldsuddenly freeze with the hourglass, after a few mins an error reportwould state the G3D.dll module has caused the crash. It’s the mostpopular form of error in FSX but NO one knows how to fix it. I havefollowed forums by NickN etc. It can happen on any part of the planetor any aircraft so I know it’s not faulty scenery etc. Many say itrelates to the graphics driver or DirectX but they are both up todate, Ive also tried older drivers. Ive tried adding lines into theconfig file which flag a warning if textures etc fail to load as thiscan cause CTDs but nothing.I have worked solidly for the past 4 months pulling what little hair Ihave left out to no avail. I’ve wiped the system, reinstalled the OSand up-to-date drivers, installed the sim with minimal addons likeUTX, tried lowering overclocks on gpu and cpu, ran at stock speeds,used a fresh vanilla config file, tried tweaks, tried various displaysettings, tried adjusting graphic driver settings for AA, AF etc atdriver level and also forced through nvidia inspector but NOTHINGworks. I managed to track down a copy of Windows XP 64 bit and set upa dual boot and reinstalled FSX (after uninstalling it all fromWindows 7). Whilst things improved slightly like no more blackscreens the G3D.dll error is still there so it can’t be an OS ordriver issue. Now my frustrations have increased since I upgraded thehardware recently so as final tests I put the 295GTX back in andwhilst performance had diminished it appeared more stable but then thecrashes occurred again. I changed the memory back to the older onewith slower latency but still same, put my new modules back in and setan XMP profile which made it 1800 C9 timings but again after allseeming well it eventually crashed. I’ve downclocked everything wellbelow default too. The system has been tested for stability andmemtest run on all the modules with zero errors. The only other thingI could test was putting the old 920 back in but after spending £700on a new 980x cpu that is NOT an option (EDIT did this as a last resort for testing but still crashed). I thought I had it crackedlast night. As the error can occur anywhere I thought maybe it’s myFS Global 2010 mesh, disabled it but nope crashed.So after all this I’ve removed the whole flaming thing from my system,ripped my Saitek Flight Yoke and Throttles off the desk and abandoningit all for at least a year until MS Flight arrives. Perhaps it willwork better as FSX, whilst technically brilliant and the only thing Ireally use on the pc, is also the biggest pile of s**t. I have NEVERin my life come across a program that crashes so much on all mysystems which have different motherboards, cpus, hard disks, graphicscards and OS.I’ve made a lot of friends in the FS Community and this is the only FSforum I post too, but in the interim it’s a goodbye to you all and Ihope to see you again sometime in the future when the next releasecomes along. I’m sure I will still lurk about for any news but I wontbe simming as its diverted my attention too much lately from what’sreally important in life and left me so frustrated and probably notgreat company.All the best to you allBelieve me when I say I've looked for the Holy Grail...I have but not found itWorried.gifEDITWhen originally testing the sim was crashing and it was using below 2GB VAS, the gpu was also well below 800mb. Ive reinstalled PNW tonight but cant run any tests with the missinglibraryalert etc but will in the next day or two as Im away tomorrow evening

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

Guest jahman
GuysI havent managed to read through all these posts yet as its late here in the UK but I feel the need to try and dampen some of these assumptions that we are all taxing our systems too much and its causing these errors which, sorry to burst a few bubbles, isn't exactly true.
What your experience shows is there is likely more than a single cause for the GD3.dll CTD.But if you read the posts on this thread there definitely a high correlation between VAS useage and the GD3.dll CTD.Cheers,- jahman.

What your experience shows is there is likely more than a single cause for the GD3.dll CTD.But if you read the posts on this thread there definitely a high correlation between VAS useage and the GD3.dll CTD.Cheers,- jahman.
There is a very high correlation between high VAS usage and specific places (read: sceneries). FSX doesn't crash by itself, even with high VAS usage.This error, if I'd call it like that, is also present in ORBX apparently. I've read on their forums someone discovered that he disabled two files and then g3d.dll disappeared. ORBX, being such a perfectionist, how is that possible?I'm right now try to find out what's so special about one or two of these places. But it's very hard doing that more or less alone.And guys, I think it's time to stop chasing MLA errors. They are hardly cause for alarm - I didn't find a connection between them and crashes directly. Yes, I know when the error appears, you are maybe able to finish the flight, but so you're also when you pause the flight, as Jim said in one of his posts. MLA itself is not a fix, it is a tool showing us that pausing sim helps. But the real culprit lies in the scenery, and not overloading it, as long as VAS is not growing beyond 4GB, in which case you get OOM, but rather scenery that has been coded in one specific way, thus causing all the trouble. It has always been the addon scenery. Remove it and you'll be good, you can even crank up LOD as much as you like, until you get OOM.

Each system is different and I am still 100% free of any g3d.dll error or any instability for that matter since finding the solution for my system. I just finished a 5 hour final test session on my system with the NGX and the a2a spit over PNW from 15000 feet to 1000 feet, flying from border to border, north to south and east to west several times with all the sliders maxed to the right and traffic 30% on everything. It was a slideshow the entire time at max frames of 25 and min frames of 8. It was my final stress test to finally stop worrying about walking on egshells with FSX. My Peak Memory usage for the entire session was 6.2 gigs induced by alt tabbing out of FSX in the middle of seatle with the NGX on autopilot at 5000 feet to load photoshop to try and crash the system. No crash. I have no idea what VAS usage was for FSX as it is impossible to know, I can only tell you what memory usage was on the entire system with photoshop and FSX running.The fixes I used are in my posts earlier in this thread as well as a handfull of others who have found fixes for their systems. I don't know exactly why they worked, but everything I did to correct my system involved making it easier for FSX to manage the flow of data.Word Not Allowed, FSX is only capable of running it's VAS to 3.5g~3.6g as it is a 32 bit application. Your operating system is probably using about .5 gigs behind FSX. When you talk about 4gigs of VAS at a g3d.dll error, you have no idea what FSX is pulling. At 4gigs of peak system memory usage FSX is probably using 3.4-3.6 at that moment as long as nothing else is running.I personally don't think there is gonna be one fix to solve each persons errors, but I do think that if given enough info, that people will figure out how to find a solution to fix their system.You can end all your frustarations now and just goto the prepar3d site and make the plunge. I will do so as well, as soon as more developers jump on board showing that prepar 3d will have the depth of the community as well as the longevity that FSX has had over the past years.JB

Each system is different and I am still 100% free of any g3d.dll error or any instability for that matter since finding the solution for my system. I just finished a 5 hour final test session on my system with the NGX and the a2a spit over PNW from 15000 feet to 1000 feet, flying from border to border, north to south and east to west several times with all the sliders maxed to the right and traffic 30% on everything. It was a slideshow the entire time at max frames of 25 and min frames of 8. It was my final stress test to finally stop worrying about walking on egshells with FSX. My Peak Memory usage for the entire session was 6.2 gigs induced by alt tabbing out of FSX in the middle of seatle with the NGX on autopilot at 5000 feet to load photoshop to try and crash the system. No crash. I have no idea what VAS usage was for FSX as it is impossible to know, I can only tell you what memory usage was on the entire system with photoshop and FSX running.The fixes I used are in my posts earlier in this thread as well as a handfull of others who have found fixes for their systems. I don't know exactly why they worked, but everything I did to correct my system involved making it easier for FSX to manage the flow of data.Word Not Allowed, FSX is only capable of running it's VAS to 3.5g~3.6g as it is a 32 bit application. Your operating system is probably using about .5 gigs behind FSX. When you talk about 4gigs of VAS at a g3d.dll error, you have no idea what FSX is pulling. At 4gigs of peak system memory usage FSX is probably using 3.4-3.6 at that moment as long as nothing else is running.I personally don't think there is gonna be one fix to solve each persons errors, but I do think that if given enough info, that people will figure out how to find a solution to fix their system.You can end all your frustarations now and just goto the prepar3d site and make the plunge. I will do so as well, as soon as more developers jump on board showing that prepar 3d will have the depth of the community as well as the longevity that FSX has had over the past years.JB
LOL, I'm gonna get greyhairs. Actually already have some from such posts...Of course you can know VAS, and it's very much possible to know.Using peak is nonsense and gives no results.No, I'm not gonna post yet again how to check VAS.Set LOD_RADIUS to 7.5, take a heavy addon, fly from afar, example EGLL - KSEA, use ORBX, and see if you get a crash. You will. 100%. Reloading inside of ORBX and flying inside is not going to cause g3d.dlls, or very rarely. It's a mix of factors.And I tend to disagree hard - each situation is to 100% reproducible on each and every computer. If I would give you all my settings, same scenery, it would crash just as same for you as it does for me. The difference is in user interaction.Where do you get the information on FSX being able to use 3.5-3.6GB? Please support with some tech data of that. FSX is very much able to use UP TO 4GB. At 4GB, it's going to OOM, that's a fact. I can drive it to 4GB with some airports. And with other I can't. So it is the difference in the addons, how they are made and programed.