Sign in to follow this  
Eziocin

g3d.dll......help ..!

I am amazed about the remarks that removing bufferpools gives a better performance...! I have my graphics settings very high (all to the right apart from water one notch down). Without the bufferpool FSX is stuttering all the time. With bp at zero things are GREAT, with any other number things are stuttering again. (All thta on a i5 2500@4,5, GTX580, 8 GB ram, Windows 7) A few times I tried to remove the entry or change the number because people were saying things would be better, but I really wonder what you call 'better'. Nothing, I repeat nothing, makes FSX run better then bp at zero...I have to add that as it is now I rather have appcrashes every now and then than having to use low settings to make appcrashes less frequent... Since I use the AutoSave I am back in the air within a minute, so... no big deal! I've got awesome performance (with all graphic settings right, apart from water, averag fps won't even drop below 25 above Portland or Seattle or any of the Orbx addon airports) and things look stunning with extremely dense autogen. Ok, so I have an appcrash after 15 minutes or 30 or whatever... With that AutoSaver I will be where I was again in no time.As I posted yesterday I noticed an odd improvement with that AutoSaver (FSX wouldn't crash anymore!) and I will see tonight how it all goes, if it was simply luck for once: I wonder if anyone else tried that AutoSaver yet? As I said yesterday I can hardly believe it might help avoiding appcrashes, but well... FSX is a weird program... ;)

It appears like everybody would like to test their own theory instead of working somehow together. It's hard to make any progress that way.The biggest mistake that people make here is that they disable one thing and don't get CTD and than that's it, that's the reason... some disable scenery, some reduce textures, some change BIOS settings, some insert missing library objects, some change FSX.cfg tweaks, some press pause, some do this, some do that,... but at the end we are all getting the same exact error.

I am amazed about the remarks that removing bufferpools gives a better performance...! I have my graphics settings very high (all to the right apart from water one notch down). Without the bufferpool FSX is stuttering all the time. With bp at zero things are GREAT, with any other number things are stuttering again. (All thta on a i5 2500@4,5, GTX580, 8 GB ram, Windows 7) A few times I tried to remove the entry or change the number because people were saying things would be better, but I really wonder what you call 'better'. Nothing, I repeat nothing, makes FSX run better then bp at zero...I have to add that as it is now I rather have appcrashes every now and then than having to use low settings to make appcrashes less frequent... Since I use the AutoSave I am back in the air within a minute, so... no big deal! I've got awesome performance (with all graphic settings right, apart from water, averag fps won't even drop below 25 above Portland or Seattle or any of the Orbx addon airports) and things look stunning with extremely dense autogen. Ok, so I have an appcrash after 15 minutes or 30 or whatever... With that AutoSaver I will be where I was again in no time.As I posted yesterday I noticed an odd improvement with that AutoSaver (FSX wouldn't crash anymore!) and I will see tonight how it all goes, if it was simply luck for once: I wonder if anyone else tried that AutoSaver yet? As I said yesterday I can hardly believe it might help avoiding appcrashes, but well... FSX is a weird program... ;)
This is where Nick Needham stated that Bufferpools are not for everyone. And certainly not on my system. I spent months adjusting the numbers, till I got to the stage where enough was enough and removed all the tweaks and just kept critical ones as I described in my previous post.Removing Bufferpools was such a transformation, that I refuse to touch my fsx.cfg again in case I blow it :)My system:2600k @4.5GHZ and GTX 580. 8GM Ram @1600MGHZ

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

This is where Nick Needham stated that Bufferpools are not for everyone. And certainly not on my system. I spent months adjusting the numbers, till I got to the stage where enough was enough and removed all the tweaks and just kept critical ones as I described in my previous post.Removing Bufferpools was such a transformation, that I refuse to touch my fsx.cfg again in case I blow it :)My system:2600k @4.5GHZ and GTX 580. 8GM Ram @1600MGHZ
LOL Go figure... ;) That's almost my system! Of course we all prefer different settings and have different preferences and some settings may benefit more from the bufferpool tweak then others.
It appears like everybody would like to test their own theory instead of working somehow together. It's hard to make any progress that way. The biggest mistake that people make here is that they disable one thing and don't get CTD and than that's it, that's the reason... some disable scenery, some reduce textures, some change BIOS settings, some insert missing library objects, some change FSX.cfg tweaks, some press pause, some do this, some do that,... but at the end we are all getting the same exact error.
Well, a huge problem of course is (also) that a lot of people don't post their system specs nor their ingame settings and/or tweaks... which makes comparisons completely impossible. I've had lots of discussions about my pc not performing well while others said they had great performance with the 'exact same setup'... only to find out they had (for instance) autogen at Dense while I have it at Extremely dense. Or they had different ram. And what about different motherboards... and even if you have the same motherboard your oc settings may be totally different...It's almost impossible, so I found out over the years, to solve these kind of problems on forums. You have pick this and that from various forums and give it a try yourself: if it works for you, great, if it doesn't, pity and move on. ;) There is no one magic bullet. Not even for gd3.dll errors...And btw what I call a solution may not be a solution at all for someone else. I can get rid of appcrashes by lowering my settings but that's not a solution for me... I rather reload an autosaved flight and keep my high settings! I am 100% sure others think that's stupid. ;)

What your experience shows is there is likely more than a single cause for the GD3.dll CTD.But if you read the posts on this thread there definitely a high correlation between VAS useage and the GD3.dll CTD.Cheers,- jahman.
Unfortunately not in my case. I did a very quick test this morning before going to work, even with all the showlibraryalerts enabled in the fsx.cfg (which some claim helps in many cases) I still got a g3d crash nr OLM VOR using PNW. I got them in other areas too but randomly. I could invoke the crash 100% of the time by flying from about 50nm east towards OLM then turn south towards Portland. Within 2nm or the VOR having just passed it the sim would have a fatal error. I did it this am though as pushed for time I slewed a little quicker and it crashed. I've restarted the sim and monitoring it remotely and it managed to get past (did the very odd time in past though would crash on the return leg back up from Portland)...so far so good as no crash as yet. I have an option in config to show the missing objects and get green boxes where something is missing, there's 2 green boxes at Olympia field where the VOR is. Believe me, I as much as the next guy want a solution to this error but have long given up hope though always will to try another other option, even sitting to 2:30am last night reading and typing to help resolve this errorSorry meant to say on my original test this am I had task manager running in the background, when the error occured FSX process was using 1.6gb and Ive a clean OS with no antivirus running on this dual boot partition so the system is definately not bogged down :(

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

LOL, I'm gonna get greyhairs. Actually already have some from such posts...Of course you can know VAS, and it's very much possible to know.Using peak is nonsense and gives no results.No, I'm not gonna post yet again how to check VAS.Set LOD_RADIUS to 7.5, take a heavy addon, fly from afar, example EGLL - KSEA, use ORBX, and see if you get a crash. You will. 100%. Reloading inside of ORBX and flying inside is not going to cause g3d.dlls, or very rarely. It's a mix of factors.And I tend to disagree hard - each situation is to 100% reproducible on each and every computer. If I would give you all my settings, same scenery, it would crash just as same for you as it does for me. The difference is in user interaction.Where do you get the information on FSX being able to use 3.5-3.6GB? Please support with some tech data of that. FSX is very much able to use UP TO 4GB. At 4GB, it's going to OOM, that's a fact. I can drive it to 4GB with some airports. And with other I can't. So it is the difference in the addons, how they are made and programed.
Can we agree that BP settings has nothing to do with the g3d.dll crash?Can we agree that AI settings has nothing to do with the g3d.dll crash?Can we also agree that OC (assuming a stable OC) that it has nothing to do with the CTD?Have we concluded that it's definitely an add-on scenery problem?Word Not Allowed, based on my experience, and my own personal test, and even your intuition, that the above is 100% accurate.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Can we agree that BP settings has nothing to do with the g3d.dll crash?Can we agree that AI settings has nothing to do with the g3d.dll crash?Can we also agree that OC (assuming a stable OC) that it has nothing to do with the CTD?Have we concluded that it's definitely an add-on scenery problem?Word Not Allowed, based on my experience, and my own personal test, and even your intuition, that the above is 100% accurate.
I would absolutlely agree, that 'addon scenery' is one major issue for CTD. Bear in mind that CTD/hangs are also caused by other system isuues also.The missing objects IMHO play a major part in this and by creating 'dummy' objects then we can elimate this from the equation. Yes I believe that the 'error trapping' once placed in cfg will help the crashes as it makes the FSX engine stop until you reply when the dialogue box appears.Maybe, just maybe as someone mentions earlier that getting FSX to 'save' a points whilst running helps, also.So I'm for elimating ALL missing objects, either by creating dummy bgl files and/or getting the way scenery designers create their scenery. that way we can 'tick the box on it', once and for all.I also think that the FSX code may not be as efficient in 'error handling' as it could be, hence as i started previously, it gets itself in a 'knot' and the only way out is to 'crash'

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

How can missing objects be the problem if you can get CTD even if there's no missing objects? Just wondering..
agree, but as I was saying missing objects is not the only reason crashes happen. We just need to elimate this from 'our enquires'so to speak.So if you do not have any missing objects, then there are other issues at play

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

Yes had the crash running a default fsx.cfg (i.e. no tweaks whatsoever and definately no BP)Yes had the crash with no addon Ai package installed and default ai disabled. Also crashed with autogen at ZERO or perhaps sparseYes had the crash also running the above with default cpu and gpu clock speedsYes had the crash running gpu and cpu underclocked as well as overclockedDont get the crash in PNW region using default scenery but do when its enabled.I feel so strongly its linked to FSX's inability to use add-on scenery per se not just ORBX stuff as many have the crashes around Aerosoft and other addon airports too.

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

Chris,spot on IMHOI also think that if the FSX team were still in place then they would have 'patched' FSX by now

Chris,spot on IMHOI also think that if the FSX team were still in place then they would have 'patched' FSX by now
I was getting crashes around UK2000 scenery, but that has been resolved. How, I uninstalled and reinstalled EGBB. I was also getting missing objects from that addon scenery.

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

UPDATEJust did a test on my system over lunch using my known G3D error route, using Flight1s BN2, water set OFF, autogen Sparse, scenery dense. I am currently using ASE and enb bloom effect (also tested with this off). Ive added the items to show missing libraries and textures etc as follows:// To show alerts or areas, set to = 1// To hide alerts or areas, set to = 0ShowMissingTextureAlert=1MissingLibraryAlert=1ShowTriggers=1Sometimes this brings up missing library warnings and I can continue if I press ok, it also always displays a bright green box where the scenery should be or missing texture. I deliberately kept my settings low just as a test on those that think its triggered entirely by load, I'm not disputing its more likely if overloaded but if its going to happen it will!! I also downloaded all 10 library files mentioned linked in page one of this thread and activated them.Did a 15 mins flight flying east towards OLM VOR nr Seattle with the FTX (Orbx) PNW (SP4) installed and active, at OLM I then turn to a bearing of 155 degrees towards Portland, within 1 or 2nm the sim crashed with a G3D.dll fatal errorWorried.gifI'll have to test it without some of my FSX config tweaks though not sure if I want to as I get at least an extra 10fps with it tweaked which is very important with the NGX

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

Chris flying KSEA-OLM(113.4) right now. Currently 15nm from OLM. No problems so far. Currently at 3000ftORBX scenery active...OK now reached OLM left on heading 155, currently 5nm from OLM, no issues so far.No missing object alertsusing Open clouds for real weatherPlan-G also runningFlew around for a while, but nothing at all. in fact good flight apart from the weather.Do you get any missing objects alerts?

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

Guest jahman

Um. like, what would it take for those folks getting 100% crashes to start posting the saved flight (identifying the lat/long/altitude, aircraft and scenery used) so others can replicate?Cheers,- jahman.

JahmanDon't think you need to do that, just do what I have just done, followed the route what Chris had taken. I'm getting more convinced that it looks like we both had the same scenery active. I flew in a beechcraft. The differences could be:1. FSX sliders set differently2. FSX.CFG totally different tweaks applied3. Different background programs running4. Different object libraries installedit could go on but IMHO these are the main issues that will cause some people to make the flight and some not on the same route with the same scenery. I don't think it really matters if you have the biggest PC in the world or a humble laptap, either will crash if pushed to far.I also think that as someone mentioned earlier on' that tweaking the cfg file does not work for everyone. Again someone stated that perhaps some 'tweaks' are now out of date and will cause more harm than good.So, what now?Well I'm still convinced that unless you get rid of the missing objects, FSX will crash at a point in time. The more missing objects the quicker the crash.Horses for courses again I think. Since I have got rid of the missing objects, via dummy bgl files, I have not crashed once, UNLESS it is operator error.

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image