Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

VOR/LOC Button

One question:I always refer back to the manual when doing a flight in the NGX because... it's awesome!Anyway, it states that when turning the final approach course you should turn on VOR/LOC in order to capture the localizer. Then, as you capture it (pink diamond on bottom of the screen) you should press APP button in order to capture glide slope. (pink diamond on the right side). When you finally have both captured, THEN you click on CMD B button IF you're doing a CAT 3 landing. Is this correct? And if you were doing another CAT landing (the one where you must manually turn off AP and flare) would you only leave the A on?Now then, if you were landing on an exotic place such as Innsbruck, would you ONLY click the VOR/LOC button since it's a localizer approach and there is no ILS approach there? (or is there...? Confused.gif ) If you were doing such landing, would you manually have to descend the plane? Like using vertical speed and all?Thanks

Diego.Exactly.Also, if installed, follow the runway approach lighting system (lateral) / visual aid (vertical) down ... VASI, PAPI, PVASI, TRCV APAP ETC.The US plates show FAF to MAP speed/time.Example .. APPR SPD 150, 2 min to MAP from 1800' FAF = 900 feet / min on the approach.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

One question:I always refer back to the manual when doing a flight in the NGX because... it's awesome!Anyway, it states that when turning the final approach course you should turn on VOR/LOC in order to capture the localizer. Then, as you capture it (pink diamond on bottom of the screen) you should press APP button in order to capture glide slope. (pink diamond on the right side). When you finally have both captured, THEN you click on CMD B button IF you're doing a CAT 3 landing. Is this correct? And if you were doing another CAT landing (the one where you must manually turn off AP and flare) would you only leave the A on?Now then, if you were landing on an exotic place such as Innsbruck, would you ONLY click the VOR/LOC button since it's a localizer approach and there is no ILS approach there? (or is there...? Confused.gif ) If you were doing such landing, would you manually have to descend the plane? Like using vertical speed and all?Thanks
CATI and II: CMD A (or B I think you can choose, correct me please)CATIII (autoland) both CMDLOWI: indeed, follow the localiser and descent with V/S, then proceed visual (or go around) and land manually.Bert Van Bulck

There is no need to press VOR/LOC first. APP is enough and will capture both, localizer and g/sBest regardsAndreas

There is no need to press VOR/LOC first. APP is enough and will capture both, localizer and g/sBest regardsAndreas
Is it enough? YesIs it good practice? NoBert Van Bulck

Didn´t you know that you have 2 alternatives to choose from in CDU?Glide-Slope capture before Localizer allows you to capture the glide-slopeon an approach even if the Localizer haven´t been captured.It´s an airliner policy which metod they use, but most commonis that they have this the other way around. VOR/LOC shallcapture first and then the Glide-SlopeAs I said, you have 2 ways of setting this feature in your CDU MENU/ Leffe

Well actually LOWI 111.10 provides you with a Localizer and a Glideslope, there is no need to use V/S. When you reach ABSAM 313.0AB you would turn off A/P and A/T and fly the rest visual, weather conditions given.Peter Meinel

Peter

Win10/64/32,0GB, i9-9900KS@4.00GHz, Gigabyte 1080ti, P3Dv5.1

Leffe,yes I did know.There is are good reasons to capture localizer before g/s and maybe it is good to enforce this policy in the CDU settings.But this is indepedend from when pressing what button.Best regardsAndreas

Thank you for the replies. I have a better understanding of these auto land functions now.But one more question, if I was landing at a regular airport (say DFW for example) how do I know when to press vor/loc button? What if youre flying straight in?

But one more question, if I was landing at a regular airport (say DFW for example) how do I know when to press vor/loc button? What if youre flying straight in?
Rarely, if ever, would you be vectored "straight-in" on an ILS approach...especially at a large airport like DFW. That's why there are precise arrival routes (STARs) to channel the flow of traffic into a large airport. The STAR will provide altitude restrictions, speed restrictions, course, distances, etc and will identify the precise points where you should intercept the localizer and glideslope. Very rarely, though, will you fly a full STAR exactly as published in real life. Because of different types of traffic and different speeds of the aircraft on arrival, ATC will usually vector you for spacing and guide you to intercept the localizer at a 30 degree angle.But.. that having been said, if you ARE on approach straight in to a runway with a localizer, if the frequency and course are set up properly, you can select the "VOR/LOC" or "APP" button once the frequency shows as being active in the PFD. It will usually show you a DME distance when it is being received. You can always figure that the localizer signal will be active at least 10 miles out.Alex Edmonds

Thank you for the replies. I have a better understanding of these auto land functions now.But one more question, if I was landing at a regular airport (say DFW for example) how do I know when to press vor/loc button? What if youre flying straight in?
If you're on an intercept heading and cleared to join the Localizer hit VORLOC, if cleared for the approach, hit APP. You don't need to wait for the needles to come alive to arm VORLOC or APP. I don't think many operators have the GS before LOC option enabled.

Matt Cee

Rarely, if ever, would you be vectored "straight-in" on an ILS approach...especially at a large airport like DFW. That's why there are precise arrival routes (STARs) to channel the flow of traffic into a large airport. The STAR will provide altitude restrictions, speed restrictions, course, distances, etc and will identify the precise points where you should intercept the localizer and glideslope. Very rarely, though, will you fly a full STAR exactly as published in real life. Because of different types of traffic and different speeds of the aircraft on arrival, ATC will usually vector you for spacing and guide you to intercept the localizer at a 30 degree angle.But.. that having been said, if you ARE on approach straight in to a runway with a localizer, if the frequency and course are set up properly, you can select the "VOR/LOC" or "APP" button once the frequency shows as being active in the PFD. It will usually show you a DME distance when it is being received. You can always figure that the localizer signal will be active at least 10 miles out.Alex Edmonds
Oh! Thank you!
If you're on an intercept heading and cleared to join the Localizer hit VORLOC, if cleared for the approach, hit APP. You don't need to wait for the needles to come alive to arm VORLOC or APP. I don't think many operators have the GS before LOC option enabled.
Got it!