Sign in to follow this  
Chris Catalano

HUD and PFD - cannot fit it all on one screen...

18 inch monitor is small by modern standards - that's why the text looks small. The solution depends on your graphics card. Most cards now have two outputs. Get a used monitor for $40 on Craigslist, and keep it focused on the key displays you want. Of course also play with the native monitor resolution - but that's unlikely to fix anything.

Chris,Why don't you try moving your eye point backwards in the cockpit? I think it is ctrl+enter to move back and ctrl+bckspace to move forward. I use 0.60 zoom and move the eye point back a little to get an image like the one vaughan posted above. I don't use EZCA and this works fine for me.hope this helps,SamEDIT: re-read your post and realised uv already tried this. sorry haha

The problem is not that I can't see my PFD - it is that I can't see the other screens I need - like my Nav display for all my waypoints, and some of the switches (like the auto pilot switch to disengage during my approach...). I sometimes use the HUD during Takeoff in poor visibility - I need to see if LNAV is tracking correctly, etc.Chris
Why do you need to see the ND? On an approach you should be looking at the LOC and G/S deviation pointers...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Why do you need to see the ND? On an approach you should be looking at the LOC and G/S deviation pointers...
My friend is a pilot for US Airways, and he says they use the HUD at ALL times, not just during an approach - even up at altitude. So, this is why I wanted to see the Nav Display...Chris

Aand that gives sense.... how exactly? Sorry, but I have no idea still.

My friend is a pilot for US Airways, and he says they use the HUD at ALL times, not just during an approach - even up at altitude. So, this is why I wanted to see the Nav Display...
Aand that gives sense.... how exactly?
I'm with Peter on this one. Even though they use the HUD at all times (meaning, it's down and locked), that doesn't mean they're always looking at both at the same time. They still have to tilt their head to look down at the ND, or at least glance in that direction using at least their eyes, looking away from the HUD.Unless you're an iguana, you're not going to be able to look at both screens in real life. You're going to have to "pan" your head there, and you're going to have to pan your view in the sim. They also constantly switch the radios at US Air (and any other airline), but I'm not trying to find a view to show the HUD and my radio panel simultaneously...

Kyle Rodgers

Ya, and the pilot must also be a'watchin the copilot to make real sure he aint touchen anything he aint sposed to!

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

When I took the screenshot I wanted to mention that I was using EZCA at that time ... just for your info.EZCA is payware that lets you set up custom "views" and "special" effects.If you go to there forum there is a stickie post on setting it up which tells you all about it at the same time.http://www.simforums...ok-setup-videosI got it to give me static 2D views while in the VC ... like of the Throttle quadrant .. FMC etc.
+1Ezca is the best thing since sliced bread. Don't want to miss it and waiting for version 2Thx Ian

Ian C. McCulloch

'What would one do without Malt Whisky? Slainte Mhath'

It only can get better

Well Ryan,What if you are doing a non-precision approach? The ones that is flown in conventional modes.Have you ever head of cross referencing? or maybe you need to look at you Engine indications from time to time?Kind regards,

Wow... talk about thread drift.You need to see all instruments somehow. I set the display so I can see the HUGS, PFD, ND, and engine instruments. It gets a bit small as I'm using a 4:3 aspect display, but I have all data available that I need to see.Having a HUGS is no replacement for instrument scan and checking of data. Even in fighters where the HUD is synonymous you will be interested to know that in most cases they are only day VFR certified, despite the fact they are one of the most rugged pieces of equipment to the point they survive crashes in an operational state!There are plenty of videos on YT where a HUGS is used and the pilot is clearly cross-checking his instruments. If you could rely solely on one piece of equipment for landing you are either flying visually or the avionics bay is full of obsolete equipment. ;)Best regards,Robin.

I know if I set the wide aspect to true it will "distort" the image I see outside the cockpit. I tried this and it made the terminal buildings look flat and a bit distorted, although it did seem to help with the cockpit issue.Chris

It is not possible to see all insruments at the same time, such is life. You, the pilot, must look at the instrument you want to see which, sitting in a real cockpit, you can do that by moving your eyes and then your head. Trying to simulate that with an 18" monitor is like sitting in the cockpit with the tube from a toilet roll held up to you eye. You can do it but you are making it harder then necessary. With budget 24" widescreen HD monitors available for less then $200, you should think seriously about giving your self a christmas present. It was the best add on I ever got for FSX, the NGX included.

LCD monitors are really cheap, second hand ones are even cheaper - or even if money is tight get an old CRT monitor (you know the big heavy box-type. Just connect a second screen to the second outlet on your videocard - at the back of your computer box. Depending on your videocard you may have to get/buy an adapter form DVI to VGA or vice versa.Then go into the videocard control panel and follow the straightforward instructions to set up a multiple screen arrangement.There are just too many popups that are crucial on a modern add-on aircraft and a second screen is by far the best way to go.