Sign in to follow this  
Orbx

Since the cat is out of the bag ...

I've been a good NDA citizen and kept my lip zipped as best I can, although I saw there were some leaks last year from other disgruntled devs.
You're not the only one. I've had several conversations with another dev, who tried his best to bite his lip too during that whole mess... you could tell something was just wrong, bad wrong.This dev was so gung-ho about the whole idea then WHAM... he washed his hands of it.Several of us tried to point out there was too much smoke for there to not be any fire, but many here just scoffed at that idea.I agree that FSX will be the platform most devs will stick to, until they can figure out of P3D or XP10 is viable to their products.
I don't think that will be the case for much longer. :(
Yeah, you're probably right... Austin must be sending Bill Gates a bouquet of flowers right about now...

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Can't wait for that engine to be running close to the metal and off the CPU and onto the GPU. Yes, that's coming and it will rock.
This is very good news :) I hope LM doesn't run into any issues with this.If FLIGHT isn't successful, in terms of adding some type of support for 3rd party devs in the near future, then I see myself using FSX and P3D a lot more since I'm not too much of a fan for X-Plane. Even though I'm very tempted on buying J.Rollon CRJ.

Chris Ferguson

PC Specs(Rebuilt 1/11/19): i7-9700K - Non-OC'd, EVGA RTX 2080ti, G.Skillz 16GB Ram 3000mhz, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w PSU, Cooler Master ML360R, ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 MoBo, 2x 2TB HDD, 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD, 1x 220GB WD SSD

Now, are you referring to LM Prepar3d 2.0 engine ? If so, without the source code, is it really possible to tweak it so much or does LM own the source code and knows how to deal with it ?
Sorry to quote myself but this important question has fallen unanswered.Thx Edited by Mark II

Sorry to quote myself but this important question has fallen unanswered.
Mark, from what I have read in the Orbx forums, Lockheed Martin do have the source code so they are not just tweaking, they are changing and improving the code.Also, hot off the press, the Orbx Pacific Northwest Side-by-Side license for P3D is now available :(. Edited by Marith

Yes, Lockheed has the source code and what is even better, they have former ACES guys/gals in their payroll.

Any clue why the 3rd party devs where locked out ? Where you asking to much or is just the largest part of the cake in additional content (which I believe) ? In one hand, I think it was not fair from Microsoft since you made some great effort to give them positiv feedback, in the other hand the (crazy) price of additional scenery and aircraft should have made them drool over...

Edited by SamSam

Yes, Lockheed has the source code and what is even better, they have former ACES guys/gals in their payroll.
Thanks guys for the answer.Now, how can this excellent community ( except JSkorna ) could help you Orbx in tuning the engine ?Will this engine equip Prepar3D 2.0 ? When ?Again thanks a lot Edited by Mark II

If they made Prepar3D less than $100 i'd buy it today. $499 is, in my view, completely unreasonable!

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

If they made Prepar3D less than $100 i'd buy it today. $499 is, in my view, completely unreasonable!
Or you can take the $10 per month option.

I am willing to pay the 499 license fee if they can fix the performance issues and fix the weather engine so we have weather that can be avoided and needs to be avoided.

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

Id be happy to buy p3d v2 for $500 if it brought the engine to 2012 standards and had full 3rd party support. The problem is most people wouldn't be willing to pay that, so 3rd party support would remain poor.We need a P3D licence for single user simulation training use. Something around $mega_shok.gif.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

We're not interested in X-P. It has too many warts for us to justify the time and effort, and far too small a user base.
Jeesh...I've been using XPX everyday since release and love it. Whu do you say it has "warts"?..you're obviously a talented individual, so you saying that concerns me. XPX, to me anyway, is light years beyond the FSX engine.

I am willing to pay the 499 license fee if they can fix the performance issues and fix the weather engine so we have weather that can be avoided and needs to be avoided.
Same here. Graphics engine overhaul would be nice too, but basically 500 bucks or euros for sim that is regurarly updated and for me to fly for the next 10 years or so is not that bad at all :DAnd think about this guys: if LM is succesful in selling complete approved training systems of P3D, like I think is their goal, P3D might even draw more attention of serious proffessional developers coming to our reach and after few years we might have even more really terrific addons for the sim.The more I think of P3D the more I see possibilities. I just wish that most FSX developers would soon take steps towards the P3D and start patching their products for it.

I hope, that P3D will maybe expand their customer field to us, the serious flight simulators. Now, we know that FLIGHT isn't designed for our needs, LM probably also knows that. I think the guys at LM aren't that stupid, I think they probably see the market for serious flight simulator. I think, LM is goingt to change their pricing policity. I think, they are going to make a not so expensive version for us, the flight simulator hardcore. And when it costs 250$ bugs, who cares, when it is better performing than FSX I will buy it for sure.And if P3D won't be good, we still have XP10. Let's see what it brings.And even if XP10 fails, we still have FSX and FS 9.

Be careful with the "$499 gets me a continually updated sim" thing.See this post at the P3D forum:http://www.prepar3d....viewtopic&t=543$499 will get you the current major version and its updates 1.0, 1.1 1.2 etc.v2 would then require an upgrade licence.It seems the $10 per month option always gives you access to the latest version regardless.Of course, LM may decide to add in other licence option tiers at some point for more serious home users like us.

Edited by Glenn Harrall

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.