Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

STOP Searching For A New Platform

I wanted to share my feelings about "Flight" and FSX with some quick thoughts. Without being too offensive, Here it goes...Like many I spent years upgrading , installing, and re-installing, looking for the perfect FSX experience. In short I wanted what I'm so grateful to have today.There are three things that made it happen:1) Windows 7 64 Ultimate2) Sandy Bridge OC to 4.8 and GTX 480 Combo (Hardware)3) FSUIPC (Thanks Pete Dowson)The last thing cured the annoying CTDs. No more installing and re-installing. I can now confidently say that FSX is working the way it was meant to work and providing the value I searched for years.I guess I can also add all the great sceneries and airplanes, but it's just too obvious. These payware add-ons do cost money, but they are SOOO worth it. I ask you to find me better scenery than ORBX. Find a better Jet than the Mustang. A better airliner than the PMDG 737NGX, or a better multi than the Realair Duke. I don't think many will disagree if I throw in the Katana 4x.Yes it does take some time, some tweaking, and some money. But FSX, working the way it should, has IMHO absolutely NO competition. So I implore you to look at what we have and enjoy it. We have something special with this new FSX Enhanced Version. I hope each of you finds the joy, that I've been able to find. That's why I've already forgotten MS Flight, or whatever it's called.Cheers!
Same on my side! I can´t understand the excitement about Flight in here. it isn´t aimed at us, so what´s the problem?btw, I´m going for a ride with the NGX! :(

George, I would agree but my system is locked. No updates, no changes, froze in time. Call me paranoid, but when all is working well, no reason to make any changes, especially those from MS.Bob
;) thats one way to do it! Just be cautious about internet access on that box, you'll be missing a lot of vital security patches. FYI in case you weren't aware.Regards,G

FSX works fine now, but it still works fine only as a 2006 game. I've seen the dark side (graphics of state of the art games) and I'm sorry, FSX isn't the future. I fly every week in FSX, so it's not that I can't have fun with it, but most people don't. This hobby, like any other, need new blood to fund future development. Retro games like FSX isn't going to attract a large audience. How many copies of FSX has been sold, and how many still use it and buy addons for it? I'd like to know, because without a simulator based on state of the art graphics, flight simmers are going to end up as the stamp collectors of the computer world.
Is that not the exact direction P3D is heading for, with their upcoming P3D V2? Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Hi,As long as I have P3D I don't have a problem. However, since Flight isn't aimed at the flight sim market, maybe the online flight forums should be taken down.

Same on my side! I can´t understand the excitement about Flight in here. it isn´t aimed at us, so what´s the problem?

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Am I satisfied with FSX? I don't think I will ever be... I'm human and I always want more.
Same here. As much as I like what I've got NOW, it's still lightyears away from what I would like to have...!

I was contemplating starting a thread on this very topic but Jose pretty much said what I wanted to say. I just don't get the seemingly endless whining and "more more more" mentality that some people have. It sucks the fun out of visiting the forums and talking about the joy of simming.

Sorry Bob, but this just isn't true. The real risk lies a breaking change in the OS platform or drivers etc. All it would take is one security fix or DX patch that wasn't tested with FSX to cause it to fail, then we're in trouble. This may never happen, or it could happen today.Regards,George
Nah, someone will find a workaround regardless of what happens. There are too many brilliant people in the flight sim world. You think they're all going to roll over and play dead because of a DX patch?

I agree generally. With a perfect running FSX, I have no insterest in P3D or Flight. I really can't see right now what all the hoopla is about with P3D.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

George, I would agree but my system is locked. No updates, no changes, froze in time. Call me paranoid, but when all is working well, no reason to make any changes, especially those from MS.Bob
Completely agree, Bob. FSX may not be the future, but it works just fine right now.I'm not starting all over again again unless something pretty revolutionary comes along (DX11?)

Completely agree, Bob. FSX may not be the future, but it works just fine right now.I'm not starting all over again again unless something pretty revolutionary comes along (DX11?)
I just have not seen enough exciting changes in P3D to jump on the bandwagon. John @Orbx added a comment recently that P3D v2 will be nice. He did not elaborate because of an NDA but I will wait and see. If it is significant then I will certainly check it out. But until then, I see nothing that makes me want to jump. I did try it but without anything but a small scenery sampling from ORBX, I just did not see much.BobBob

Same experience here with P3D. I'm just not going to start over again.Maybe something will happen with P3D in the future that will do it for me. You never know.

FSX works fine now, but it still works fine only as a 2006 game. I've seen the dark side (graphics of state of the art games) and I'm sorry, FSX isn't the future. I fly every week in FSX, so it's not that I can't have fun with it, but most people don't. This hobby, like any other, need new blood to fund future development. Retro games like FSX isn't going to attract a large audience. How many copies of FSX has been sold, and how many still use it and buy addons for it? I'd like to know, because without a simulator based on state of the art graphics, flight simmers are going to end up as the stamp collectors of the computer world.
You've nailed the problem. If FSX was comparable with modern games there would not have been the universal dismay at the direction MS took with Filght. FSX has a dated graphics engine and still many bugs. It's code base desperately needs revision to make better use of DX10, DX11, CPU multi threading, and modern graphics cards, particularly when it comes to lighting and soft particle physics. MS will never do this revision now and it is a truism that everything made by man decays if it is not being actively developed. If you disagree, take a look at RoF or DCS A-10c and compare their lighting effects and performances with those of FSX. These combat flight sims, developed on a shoe string, are now much better in many respects than FSX, albeit without the latter's scope and detail.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Hi,As long as I have P3D I don't have a problem. However, since Flight isn't aimed at the flight sim market, maybe the online flight forums should be taken down.
Mike,Let's leave them up - if there isn't a place for it, all the whining and moaning will come here...DJ