Sign in to follow this  
Mike T

The cat's not only out of the bag, its attacking its owner!

http://www.examiner.com/general-aviation-in-national/microsoft-flight-announcement-leads-to-backlash-by-flight-simulator-fansIt's one thing to get slammed in the community forums. Its another thing when the bloggers and ezines start running with it. Between the forums, blogs, Facebook, Twitter and now ezines, I am gonna wager that the Monday morning Flight Status meeting is going to be....let's just say....uncomfortable.

Pretty tame article really, the feedback on their Facebook page alone should be enough to give them an idea, although as Tom A mentioned they were expecting this reaction.

We might not be the target , but we have friends family etc , and i dont think alot of us would recommend this game ,as it seems its heading , to anyone interested in aviation or flying. I mean , don't know if fsx has coins in the air , but you can do everything else with it , nobody is obligated to follow real world procedures.

I don't think anyone cares at MS. The Flight Program Management probably knew that this was going to happen. The fact that Flight is developed the way it is just reveals that there is no one left in upper game development management who feels responsible for the Flight Simulation tradition at MS anymore.

I say forget about MS making a flight sim. Look how long FS 2004 has lasted and to this day still very popular. FSX IMO even with all its bugs and such is just getting started. The reason I say this is look at the PMDG 737ngx, GEX, UTX, and all the great sceneries we are all enjoying like, FlyTampa, FSDT, and all the great FREEware. Forget about MS as they will most likely NEVER make a sim like we all desire. We should look to alternative developers and back them and encourage them to build a sim like what all of us enthusiasts desire. If PMDG ever offered to take on such a task I would gladly send them money to help out. If all the AVSIM members thru in a few bucks each and a developer like PMDG or the like would commit to such an undertaking we could throw them a couple million dollars to get it rolling not to mention the statement we would all be making to MS. I know my idea may be a bit far fetched but......Jim

Jim Wenham

I say forget about MS making a flight sim. Look how long FS 2004 has lasted and to this day still very popular. FSX IMO even with all its bugs and such is just getting started. The reason I say this is look at the PMDG 737ngx, GEX, UTX, and all the great sceneries we are all enjoying like, FlyTampa, FSDT, and all the great FREEware. Forget about MS as they will most likely NEVER make a sim like we all desire. We should look to alternative developers and back them and encourage them to build a sim like what all of us enthusiasts desire. If PMDG ever offered to take on such a task I would gladly send them money to help out. If all the AVSIM members thru in a few bucks each and a developer like PMDG or the like would commit to such an undertaking we could throw them a couple million dollars to get it rolling not to mention the statement we would all be making to MS. I know my idea may be a bit far fetched but......Jim
The problem is that some things in FSX seem to be hard to get around without actually having the source code available. For example I have yet to see a useful ATC add-on....

Guest comma

Now I have to talk.I have mixed feelings about Flight. Beat me but watching the videos I DO think it look superior in graphics, and we can raisonabely hope they kept the physics engine of the FS series wich I do find totally OK for a consumer product. You just have to watch without looking at the glowing stars hanging in the air, by the way these do exist in FSX, it's all about how you use the software.So maybe Flight is an optimized FSX, which would be relatively good news.By the start i really loved the "online marketplace" approach. I mean this is the way you can sell something online, and we can't help but think of Apple success on this side.The only thing I don't get is why MS would have closed discussion with 3rd parties dev. An open marketplace "a la Apple", handled by MS, with a respective 70-30 commissions (70 for the developper, 30 for MS) would actually be a killer approach to quality Flight Sim. So they could get the money for every 3rd party product built on top of the plateform which (beat me again) I do think is TOTALLY FAIR. Because great 3rd part product doesn't exist without a great plateform. Fair share of work.Money is naturally the driver of work, so Microsoft would have made a smart turn in getting a 30% commission from each sale of addon, where to date he earned 0 from his FS series. Especially by making a non-reverse compatible version (beat me again) with previous addons, so that every addon would have to go through the store. And quality products would have benefit from the promotion and voting on the marketplace. Great deal for both. I really liked this perspective.MS can't beat an army of developpers. Apple knew that the more developpers, the more apps, the more it would leverage iOS. I can't help but think that MS has planned it that way, another way around would be less money, it's not hard to do the math. Remember base pack will be free, it will be all about paying for addons, that is the business model so : the more addons, the more money. Even if it is for arcade missions apps, they should benefit from 3d party dev.And, beat me (4th time), my little finger tells me that they will go that way at a point after launching (if initial launch is a success, of course).Beware / fire post : Think about one thing. Is it possible that this MS Flight bashing is heated by angry developpers who DO NOT LIKE THE IDEA OF A UNIQUE ONLINE STORE WITH COMMISSIONS ? That my friend, is a possibility.

Edited by comma

Now I have to talk.I have mixed feelings about Flight. Beat me but watching the videos I DO think it look superior in graphics, and we can raisonabely hope they kept the physics engine of the FS series wich I do find totally OK for a consumer product. You just have to watch without looking at the glowing stars hanging in the air, by the way these do exist in FSX, it's all about how you use the software.So maybe Flight is an optimized FSX, which would be relatively good news.By the start i really loved the "online marketplace" approach. I mean this is the way you can sell something online, and we can't help but think of Apple success on this side.The only thing I don't get is why MS would have closed discussion with 3rd parties dev. An open marketplace "a la Apple", handled by MS, with a respective 70-30 commissions (70 for the developper, 30 for MS) would actually be a killer approach to quality Flight Sim. So they could get the money for every 3rd party product built on top of the plateform which (beat me again) I do think is TOTALLY FAIR. Because great 3rd part product doesn't exist without a great plateform. Fair share of work.Money is naturally the driver of work, so Microsoft would have made a smart turn in getting a 30% commission from each sale of addon, where to date he earned 0 from his FS series. Especially by making a non-reverse compatible version (beat me again) with previous addons, so that every addon would have to go through the store. And quality products would have benefit from the promotion and voting on the marketplace. Great deal for both. I really liked this perspective.MS can't beat an army of developpers. Apple knew that the more developpers, the more apps, the more it would leverage iOS. I can't help but think that MS has planned it that way, another way around would be less money, it's not hard to do the math. Remember base pack will be free, it will be all about paying for addons, that is the business model so : the more addons, the more money. Even if it is for arcade missions apps, they should benefit from 3d party dev.And, beat me (4th time), my little finger tells me that they will go that way at a point after launching (if initial launch is a success, of course).Beware / fire post : Think about one thing. Is it possible that this MS Flight bashing is heated by angry developpers who DO NOT LIKE THE IDEA OF A UNIQUE ONLINE STORE WITH COMMISSIONS ? That my friend, is a possibility.
I partially agree with you but just because it has a pretty box doesnt mean there is a fine watch inside. WHat I mean is that most of us here I think would rather have realistic instruments in the cockpit, better ATC, more aircraft in the ranks of what PMDG can do, ect. MS will NEVER EVER EVER NEVER turn out a aircraft that can even in the slightest bit compare to the NGX. The graphics is only a part of what simmers want in a flight sim. Just my opinion.

Jim Wenham

So will any of u download the base pack to try it out? Seriously though.

Chris Howard

Who wouldn't when it's free ?

Absolutely, why would you not do that? Especially given it's price :(

Who wouldn't when it's free ?
I wouldn't. Because regardless of the fact that it's free, it is of no interest to me whatsoever.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Absolutely, why would you not do that? Especially given it's price :(
And its size, its only 1Gig. I have Powerpoint presentations that are bigger. No doubt on the first day of release EVERYONE is going to download it if for nothing else but out of morbid curiosity.

******* Mike, why don't you just forget about Flight seeing as your clearly not interested, you'll give yourself a heart condition or alcers if you keep banging on about it ;)

Dean Stringer

I wouldn't. Because regardless of the fact that it's free, it is of no interest to me whatsoever.
Same here, not interested in what is now a Hawaii only sim with no airliners or AI. Free or not it doesnt interest me in the least.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.