Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

Just a tiny little thing I need cleared up...

Just how do you say AVSIM???I was discussing with Zach a few weeks back and I say it: AH-V Sim. Or is it, A-v Sim? blum.gif

Edited by linux731

I guess it depends on who answers that question.It often is so with words created as acronyms or any other abbreviations and word mixtures.For me it is a natural mixture of English and Polish.I have always (and will always) thought about it as ['af-seem]A similar question could be asked about VATSIM, IVAO, AES, etc.

I guess it depends on who answers that question.It often is so with words created as acronyms or any other abbreviations and word mixtures.For me it is a natural mixture of English and Polish.I have always (and will always) thought about it as ['af-seem]A similar question could be asked about VATSIM, IVAO, AES, etc.
VATSIM is easy... VAT-SIM. IVAO I usually end up saying "eye vao" lol.

AV-SIM for me ;)

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

I've always just said AV-SIM.

Edited by Chuck_B

In New Zealand accent it is pronounced AFSUM...

Matthew Kane

I don't. There's no 'V' in Welsh. :)(Where's the plain Smiley?)

Edited by Dave_Morgan

I don't. There's no 'V' in Welsh. :)(Where's the plain Smiley?)
Maybe they could call it 'Afsim' for Wales, which would at least bring the pronunciation more in line with English :smile:Totally OT, but, noting your avatar and Galanthus reference, are they out in your neck of the woods yet? They aren't around here (north Cumbria) yet, although they self-seed prolifically. Got a primrose in flower though, strangely.That's it for Gardeners' Question Time. :(

Hi.Diego. You have better eyes than I do!Raindance, not yet though their leaves, and those of Narcissus spp. had already sprouted by Christmas day. Someone told me last week that they found trees with white blossom in Shrewsbury but couldn't tell me what species; I haven't been there for a month or so. I'm longing for primroses.Cheers,D

I've always thought it as one word like "have" without the 'h'. "AVE""SIM". In my mind, A-V Sim would be written with a space or a dash, like "AV-SIM/AV SIM". In the world of internets though, that would be less than ideal.So, despite my own proclivity , I think A-V Sim is the way it's "supposed" to be pronounced.

Edited by Valcor