Sign in to follow this  
BreezyPointDeparture

what is the best 727

Hey,So i know PMDG dont make one, but people who fly PMDG are the most realistic and experienced simmers, so its a good base to ask. But what is the best 727 addon??ThanksMax

Edited by BreezyPointDeparture

Max

PMDG 747X & 737NGX Pilot

Try out Captain Sim, I have the -100 and -200 and they're pretty good. Been out for awhile now too so the service updates are pretty mature.I should mention, Captain Sim's stuff isn't even close to PMDG's systems simulation, just an FYI :wink:Best,

Edited by bburk

Brandon Burkley

Dreamfleet 727sThey're not native to FSX, though. I believe it'll work in FSX, but it wasn't developed for it.To be honest, the CaptainSim isn't realistic enough for me. It'll allow things that it's not meant to allow (I seem to remember dodgy things with the pneumatics and hydraulics). The Gen phase does nothing, either.

Edited by scandinavian13

Kyle Rodgers

I second the Dreamfleet 727. That was my second payware add on, and still a favorite. She's aged, but for the old Boeing systems she's still a decent purchase.Porting to FSX is possible (but it's clunky), and the aircraft configurator (very neat feature) causes a few issues in Windows 7 64b that can be easily fixed.

• Sounds are good
  • FDE feels great, though roll rate seems somewhat off. I'm not type rated so take it for what it is.
  • The VC is old. 2Ds are used for the engineer's panel, but this is the only aircraft I didn't mind 2D panels
  • Systems are excellent. Fuel distribution, APU. It's all there and correct. I have a good bit of time on my school's 727 engineer seat. (Yes, we have a real working 727)

Finally, Flight1 has a great refund policy. If it's not your cup of tea, uninstall it (first) and get your refund.

Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Forget about Captain Sim. I have it and it is not worth it nor is his support.

Yeah, I bought it (CS) and was unimpressed. I wasn't surprised by that, but still, I wasn't happy I bought it.The model is awesome, and it has some 'neat' features, but it falls short of my expectations of realism.

Kyle Rodgers

DREAMFLEET! They have all the manuals and fuel consumption charts you need to plan a flight! People would complain about the airplane's Flight Dynamics, but real world pilots seemed to confirm the simulation's behaviour! I LOVE the dreamfleet 727. You can even edit the cfg file to represent a -200adv in terms of fuel capacity. Just ignore the load editor and follow Boeing specs to get to 210,000 lbs, and TRY to get that thing off a 10000 ft runway lol. Captain Sim is visually about perfect. Sucks for realistic flying though

~William Genovese~

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg         KAB200_sig3.jpg

Forget about Captain Sim. I have it and it is not worth it nor is his support.
I would have to agree on the support end man, practically nonexistent there. They couldn't even issue me a refund after they charged my credit card twice by accident. Told me I could have any other aircraft for free. Now I'm just waiting it out for their 737 (when it actually is complete). I like Captain Sim for their more "vintagey" Boeings. I wish their systems modelling was better but you can't ask for everything I guess. Their 707 is my favorite so far. Nice break from all the hi-tech goodness we have with the NGX.Anyways, just my 2 cents.Best of luck on the search for a good 727 my friend.Cheers,

Brandon Burkley

people who fly PMDG are the most realistic and experienced simmers
LOL, nice one Max, keep dreaming mate. Now I love PMDG addons, own a couple myself, but by your logic people who drive Lexus or AMG cars are more experienced or better drivers than those driving Toyotas or Mercedes??? Not neccessarily, you could also say that just have more disposable income. Money%20Eyes.gif
To be honest, the CaptainSim isn't realistic enough for me. It'll allow things that it's not meant to allow (I seem to remember dodgy things with the pneumatics and hydraulics).
Hey Kyle, would be interested to know if these particular features upset you so much you wouldnt reccomend the CS-727? I had the FS9 727 from CS and recently bought the FSX native model, am very happy myself and would buy the CS model again, even when not on sale.
I second the Dreamfleet 727. That was my second payware add on, and still a favorite. She's aged, but for the old Boeing systems she's still a decent purchase.
Finally some useful feedback from Zach. Do yo own the CS 727 too Zach? Be interested to hear your comparison of the two offerings.

Dean Stringer

Hey Kyle, would be interested to know if these particular features upset you so much you wouldnt reccomend the CS-727? I had the FS9 727 from CS and recently bought the FSX native model, am very happy myself and would buy the CS model again, even when not on sale.
Hey Dean,Sure! First, as an owner of the DF727 as well (bought the CS because it was native FSX and I didn't realize I could've ported the DF727), the DF727 had me spoiled, and the CS honestly didn't live up to its standard.I'll have to go back into it and rip it apart again to find all of the issues, but off the top of my head, here are a few things:-Using the default Cessna shut down and a swap to the CS727 causes issues if you turn the battery and alternator off. Pulling the mixture out also causes an issue. What happens is, on the start, you'll have battery power for as long as the battery can push current. Basically, the CS battery switch works, but the generators don't flip the GEN switch for FS, so if you flipped the ALTernator switch in the Cessna, your systems are going to die somewhere in the taxi or on departure. Most other developers tie the GEN switches in the plane to the FS GEN switches to avoid this. Furthermore, the CS727's fuel knobs on the pedestal don't control the mixture control for FS, meaning, if you shut down the default Cessna using the mixture knob, you're going to have to push it back in before loading the CS727 (or hit CTRL+SHIFT+F4 when you get in the CS727). Sure, the workarounds are easy (keyboard shortcuts to turn on the GENs and the mixture), but it detracts from the overall realism. My fuel levers in the CS727 should be flipping the fuel levers (or overriding the fuel system of FS). It's nearly an industry standard now (like the carb heat always being on in turboprops/fuel injected props, because the sim doesn't differentiate).-In addition to the GEN knobs not controlling the actual GENs in the sim, the electric phase knobs do nothing in the CS727. With the DF727, they at least work as eye candy (you have to adjust them to put the gen in phase, but it won't adversely affect the flight if you don't).-I remember some issue with the pneumatic system, where the APU didn't work as it should (as is modeled in the DF727), but I'd have to go back and check to confirm. The packs also have some quirk to them.-I also feel like the fuel system and hydraulics had some dodgy quirk, but I can't remember it off the top of my head (I'll check tonight, as in the case above).-You cannot integrate the CIVA INS to have it run the AP. The AP had some quirks as well (yes, I know it's not your standard AP, but I got it to work properly with the DF727).The rest of the aircraft is stellar. The VC and 2D pop-ups are actually reasonably well done (not NGX quality in crispness and frame friendliness), but CS is really good at getting models to look good, and it shows. Visually, it's great. If you don't mind the systems not working up to par (as in, not operating them properly still lets you slide by), then it's a perfect fit.I, however, can't deal with not having consequences for not operating the aircraft properly.Hope that helps some.

Kyle Rodgers

LOL, nice one Max, keep dreaming mate. Now I love PMDG addons, own a couple myself, but by your logic people who drive Lexus or AMG cars are more experienced or better drivers than those driving Toyotas or Mercedes??? Not neccessarily, you could also say that just have more disposable income. Money%20Eyes.gifHey Kyle, would be interested to know if these particular features upset you so much you wouldnt reccomend the CS-727? I had the FS9 727 from CS and recently bought the FSX native model, am very happy myself and would buy the CS model again, even when not on sale.Finally some useful feedback from Zach. Do yo own the CS 727 too Zach? Be interested to hear your comparison of the two offerings.
Hi Dean,No I am not referring to anyones income...how about actual procedure and process. I am comparing, for instance, the stock Cessna 132 supplied by FSX vs, any addon Cessna - the addon will be way more realistic and follow more proper configurations, simulation, and flying characteristics. The model will just be better.Im not saying everyone who flys the PMDG is a rated pilot, however they have purchased, with full knowledge, the most advanced model for an aircraft that can fly in the FSX environment. And it is without any shadow of a doubt, that the NGX is by far the most advanced addon you can get, regardless of the price. So next time Dean, before you accuse someone of something they didnt do, use your head and think.And last but not least, an AMG is a Mercedes.....and just because someone has one, doesnt make them more experienced or better, they just happen to have the means and the desire to own something that is very high end and worth every penny.....as oppose to settling for lesser addons that will make you spend money just the same Edited by BreezyPointDeparture

Max

PMDG 747X & 737NGX Pilot

Sure! First, as an owner of the DF727 as well (bought the CS because it was native FSX and I didn't realize I could've ported the DF727), the DF727 had me spoiled, and the CS honestly didn't live up to its standard.
Awesome Kyle, thanks for that detail. Wish I'd taken a look at it when I was on FS9 now,
And last but not least, an AMG is a Mercedes.....and just because someone has one, doesnt make them more experienced or better...
Exactly Max, seems you've blissfully missed my point completely, hillarious Money%20Eyes.gif

Dean Stringer

Awesome Kyle, thanks for that detail. Wish I'd taken a look at it when I was on FS9 now
You're welcome.As a side note, I mentioned the CIVA INS can't be integrated, but the vast majority of 727s just used old school (radio) nav, if I remember correctly. As an example, I believe FDX operated their 72s as old school nav*. I just figured it was worth noting for those who were wondering (which is how DF and CS modeled it).* - If you look up even a more recent FDX 722 flight plan, you'll find they file /W, meaning RVSM. E, F, G and R all mean RVSM with advanced nav (FMS/GNS/RNP), so /W just means RVSM but without the fancy new stuff. Edited by scandinavian13

Kyle Rodgers

Awesome Kyle, thanks for that detail. Wish I'd taken a look at it when I was on FS9 now,Exactly Max, seems you've blissfully missed my point completely, hillarious Money%20Eyes.gif
O i see what you were trying to say...however still a terrible example. Lexus to Toyota is not what AMG is to Mercedes, as a business or in what they produce, but nice stab at being clever. Again you clearly took away the wrong message from my original post.

Max

PMDG 747X & 737NGX Pilot