Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

conura

How can I get a consistent 30fps?

Hey all,I've basically stopped running fsx and this addon due to low FPS. My rig is as follows..:Core i5 760 @ 3.5ghz (it will not boot faster than this)4gb ddr3 ramGTX 560ti 1gbThe addons I ran are....FSX + AccelGEX,REX, UTXMTXNGX 737And that's it...Anyway, at places like Heathrow/Gatwick I'd never get above about 15fps, which for me was unplayable. Is it possible with current technology to get a consistent FPS above 30? I don't mind turning off the UTX traffic , having airtraffic at even 10% and night lighting off, but if I can just get a steady 30 (or at least 26+) when at busy airports I'll be happy. Would upgrading to a Sandbridge i5 with a good mobo and clocking to 4ghz + allow this?Hope you can help as I am desperate to enjoy this sim!Thanks(also, I have tried loads of optimising, the guides, defrags etc etc)

I have a similar system and get about 7-fps inside the cockpit; and like 25 over the wing and outside.PMDG comes with a very handy performance program that helps you adjust it if your losing FPS.

Uncheck the high detail cockpit in FSX settings. Also uncheck the default London scenery, it will probably add some more.

That is something that I don't understand.I have a WAY lesser computer, and can get 15 at FlyTampas Tampa Int. That is probably one of the worse airports for FPS ever made....lolAre you trying to run like max autogen? Autogen and water will kill a computer....no matter how good.I stick with Low x2 and Dense.

Get a faster processor.I've got an 2500k and same graphiccard as you.When i am approaching EHAM from Aerosoft with REX UTX GEX etc. On high average settings i get 22+ in VC.A good processor is the secret, and btw. Run Venetubo's Tool, works great.Jan Reineke

You don't have to have 30FPS consistently to experience a smooth simulation. Make some compromises, take a look at Ryan's Nvidia settings in the PMDG General forum and with a bit of patience and reading, you should succeed.

Depends on what your sliders are at in FSX. My PC is not far off from yours and I get 30 to 36 FPS in the NGX running Activesky2012 and FSinn but my sliders are at 50%.

Turn down your settings. Don't ever expect 30 FPS at all time.Heck, I have a powerful PC but get 11-12FPS at ORBX YMML and YBBN.You dont really need 30, as your eyes can only see 25 I think!

Post your FSX settings and also see how FSX runs with MTX turned off as most of the models look like leftovers from FS98.

Also double check how you OC your CPU. I have the same i5 760 and while mileage may vary I think you should be able to reach 4Ghz with decent voltage settings.Do you have an adequate cooler?

What are your settings? What are your cfg tweaks? What is your AG slider at? What boxes are unticked? Performance is all so subjective. I now run all my flights at 26 frames and look at my sig! BUT I run with very dense autogen iwhen using GA but when flying the NGX out of Heathrow, my autogen is set at normal and I get 24 frames sat at the end of runway 27. So you can do the maths! :(

Lots of AI traffic will have a big impact on FPS. I can live with that down to 15 fps just to have the experience during taxi but 25+ at all other times. So many variables and the ongoing quest for higher fps leads us into the realms of OCing...oh gotta go, there's smoke down below!

You dont really need 30, as your eyes can only see 25 I think!
"MYTH POLICE! Drop the old myth you're spreading and come out with your hands up!" Just%20Kidding.gif

I'm starting to doubt more and more if I should buy a GTX 580. People saying they only get 24 FPS at Heathrow, with not even super high settings, and the same setup as me except the graphics card.I get the same with my bad GTX 320! I'm wondering if a new graphics card will make a lot of difference...

I'm starting to doubt more and more if I should buy a GTX 580. People saying they only get 24 FPS at Heathrow, with not even super high settings, and the same setup as me except the graphics card.I get the same with my bad GTX 320! I'm wondering if a new graphics card will make a lot of difference...
That's a good question which I can't answer but the GTX560 Ti seems to be popular as an affordable card (AUD275) against the GTX580 (AUD549) and then the ATI 6970 (AUD388). These prices are based on ASUS cards and indicative only. I've always had nVidia cards until my current card and the only reason I went ATI was to try something different, and that's not very scientific. I did look at some of the benchmark charts beforehand though.
ATI s Are the way to go I have an old 5770 HD http://www.amd.com/u...0-overview.aspx and I get 30fps consistently in FSX at all airports in the NGX, its all about the setup. patience my young padawan.Wycliffe
But then nVidia appears to be more popular for FSX - I'm confused. So maybe I'll stick with my current card for a while and concentrate on the everything else. If only I'd known about Sandy Bridge. And what's all this about the Ivy Bridge? More Confused... :( Actually I'm getting pretty good fps but I'm running too hot so going to go back to 190x21 for the time being...tomorrow.

ATI s Are the way to go I have an old 5770 HD http://www.amd.com/u...0-overview.aspx and I get 30fps consistently in FSX at all airports in the NGX, its all about the setup. patience my young padawan.Wycliffe
ATI (AMD) is not recommended for FSX. They may perform quite well, yes, but they have some problem with shaders, which can cause bad fps in clouds. For me it will be NVIDIA no matter what. But what should I get? I just discovered a new graphics card. the GTX 560TI-448, which is not a regular GTX 560TI which has 384 shader units, and the GTX 560TI-448, has 448 shader units. The one from Asus looks really good to me and is around 280 euros. I heard that the GTX 580 will not perform much better in FSX. So perhaps when we'll switch to XPlane 10 (or antoher platfrom) in the future, I can put a second GTX 560TI-448 with it.

ATI (AMD) is not recommended for FSX. They may perform quite well, yes, but they have some problem with shaders, which can cause bad fps in clouds. For me it will be NVIDIA no matter what.But what should I get? I just discovered a new graphics card. the GTX 560TI-448, which is not a regular GTX 560TI which has 384 shader units, and the GTX 560TI-448, has 448 shader units. The one from Asus looks really good to me and is around 280 euros. I heard that the GTX 580 will not perform much better in FSX. So perhaps when we'll switch to XPlane 10 (or antoher platfrom) in the future, I can put a second GTX 560TI-448 with it.
Looks like we won't be seeing it down under http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/281758,confirmed-australia-misses-out-on-new-nvidia-gpu.aspx

The nVidia ATI debate will go on and on just like the intel AMD shennanigans.I was nvidia for years until I had some cash burning ahole in my pocket. I couldn't get the current nVidia card atthe time due to nVidia not being able to supply its manufactures with the GPU or some such so I plumped for an ATI on the advice of a friend. I have no problems with it and as for the shader issue in clouds I know not of what you speak.I have always said "if it looks good to you then that is all that matters" and I stand by that.Turn off the FPS counter it will drive you insane and just take a a look at what it looks like on screen, if your happy then yoru happy.Wycliffe

I get about 30 fps unlocked but locked thru antilag.... I have recently uninstalled windows vista, installed windows 7 and WOW!!Then I reinstalled all of the ******* tweaks posted and linked anywhere here on avsim, from the tweaking tool online - and reinstalled all my FS stuff...NGX etc.....Now, I get 30fps in default dense scenery and dense autogen at any airport with the NGX VC - using the less complex gauges option from PMDG menuand in ORBX PDX believe it or not, same complexity about 20 to 23 fps~and this is all on an i7 950 3.06gz laptop!!

I updated from a GTX295 (dual core) GPU to a GTX570 last week. I am really impressed with the FPS increase but i think that this is mainly due to the SLi with the 295. It was driving me mad with all the flickers etc.... I know FSX is mainly CPU intensive but sometimes a nice card updtate will surprise you. I really wasn't expecting how it is now, at Heathrow it doesn't go too much above 25-28 fps but its nice and smooth. I also have the FPS locked in inspector which i think helps put more power where its needed. This is a new update from the 280 drivers onwards now not just the beta drivers.Andy Blake

15 fps is enogh for fsx more than that is just good but not nessesary.i have a i7 920 4 ghzgtx 58010000 rpm harddrive6 gb 1600 mhz memory.

I get about 30 fps unlocked but locked thru antilag.... I have recently uninstalled windows vista, installed windows 7 and WOW!!Then I reinstalled all of the ******* tweaks posted and linked anywhere here on avsim, from the tweaking tool online - and reinstalled all my FS stuff...NGX etc.....Now, I get 30fps in default dense scenery and dense autogen at any airport with the NGX VC - using the less complex gauges option from PMDG menuand in ORBX PDX believe it or not, same complexity about 20 to 23 fps~and this is all on an i7 950 3.06gz laptop!!
Just goes to show that there 'ain't nuffin queerer than FSX!