Sign in to follow this  
Super Six-Four

I just read Tom's blog...

I doubt that is true. She is trying (with no success) to convey what is true without breaking an NDA. You know that of course, but perhaps it is you who is trying to "sound important," eh?
How so? Have I posted some stupid picture? Have I posted something along the lines of "I know and you know nothing"?Please. If you are bound by an NDA that's fine. You don't have to act like a 5 year old. On the other hand, I don't find any beta testers posts helpful when it says "You are wrong" or "Not so" or some other inane expression that tells us nothing.So, just keep those comments to yourselves or back it up. In case you have not noticed, it is because of these posts from beta testers that we have a lot of speculation going on.Those of us still reading this forum do so because we want real information. I don't care if it is from leaked videos, a writeup of an interview or a press release. "You are wrong" is not information.I may well be inaccurate on some things and things may change as time goes on, but at least I back up my posts with published info or some sort of reasoning.If you can't do the same, don't act all superior because you have inside information. Besides, we just don't know what that is worth.

"You are wrong" is not information.
I'm really not interested in joining this debate, but I'd like to do a drive-by if I may. There is a wealth of information in those three words coming from someone who promised not to tell why.

Those of us still reading this forum do so because we want real information.
Your not going to find that here first, but you be better off waiting & looking here.http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/You are not going to get real information from the ones under NDA as they can't tell you & you will not get real information from leaked beta vidoes. Edited by garsands

So is there a big enough market out there to make Flight add-ons profitable?? There's two potential markets1. The long-term flight sim fan who's built up their libraries over the years. I'm betting most are not going to pay a lot of money to start over with Flight with no guarantee that this product will ever mature to the level of existing features that we have in FS9/FSX.2. The new guy getting into Flight only because it's free.
I think you've left out a significant market:3. The new guy (or gal) who is interested in aviation and would like to fly an airplane for the first time.. muchlike most of us on this forum first started out. Flight may very well turn out to be the ticket.. and if it does not offerenough of a RW challenge, even after purchasing "Hawaii" and some add-on aircraft and whatever follows,this customer can graduate (upgrade) to FSX or P3D, but not after having spent some serious dollars with Microsoft first.. Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Thats the most childish post I've read for quite a while. It also happens to be a load of BS, merely reflecting your own bias and opinions.
Thanks for that. It's ironic that accusing someone of being a troll is its own form of trolling.

And how would that be?
Sorry, no offense meant, but your blog post, while interesting, sounded to me like it was carefully written to stay within the guidelines set by Microsoft's PR department and was more an attempt to smooth over the ruffled feathers in the flight sim community than it was to give any concrete information that would be of interest to flight simulator enthusiasts. To put it another way, it sure seemed like you were hedging your bets (along with Microsoft). That's what I meant by "damage control".

How so? Have I posted some stupid picture? Have I posted something along the lines of "I know and you know nothing"?
Attila, unlike some here, I chose my words (and my image links) very carefully."You know nothing, Jon Snow." Is from George Martin's literary series, "Game of Thrones," which was also made into a current HBO television series.Those words are repeated many times in the book "A Song of Ice and Fire," by Ygritte.Jon Snow is an important character in the series, whose had to live his entire life (so far) dealing with the fact that there are some very important things he doesn't know (even about himself).At this point in the book, Jon is in another land, dealing with a culture that is very foreign to him, yet he is still hanging onto his own norms. Which is why Ygritte, who has grow up in this land, keeps reminding him that he knows nothing of her people or of her land . . . which is very true. But Jon Snow has grown up believing that Ygritte's people were nothing but savages (which is not true). Jon Snow is one the cleverest characters in the book (and one of my favorites), but he is now out of his element, and he was misinformed.I happen to know more about Flight than you do. That does not make me important, but it is the truth,And it bothers me that you and others here who "know nothing" first hand about Flight, keep spreading false information and making false accusations about it. Please just give Flight a chance, instead of tearing it down before you have even tried it for yourself. Edited by Arwen

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

I happen to know more about Flight than you do. That does not make me important, but it is the truth,And it bothers me that you and others here who "know nothing" first hand about Flight, keep spreading false information and making false accusations about it. Please just give Flight a chance, instead of tearing it down before you have even tried it for yourself.
+1And here is another one that's knows little.Why do some of you feel the need to post such things, do you find Flight a fret to what you already have?
"We" being those of us with the sense to recognize Flight for the steaming pile it really is.

How so? Have I posted some stupid picture? Have I posted something along the lines of "I know and you know nothing"?Please. If you are bound by an NDA that's fine. You don't have to act like a 5 year old. On the other hand, I don't find any beta testers posts helpful when it says "You are wrong" or "Not so" or some other inane expression that tells us nothing.So, just keep those comments to yourselves or back it up. In case you have not noticed, it is because of these posts from beta testers that we have a lot of speculation going on.Those of us still reading this forum do so because we want real information. I don't care if it is from leaked videos, a writeup of an interview or a press release. "You are wrong" is not information.I may well be inaccurate on some things and things may change as time goes on, but at least I back up my posts with published info or some sort of reasoning.If you can't do the same, don't act all superior because you have inside information. Besides, we just don't know what that is worth.
Flight is a game. But a game with a slight potential of being.... whatever you want

Tom,Please recognize his comment for what he is and what he wants. He's an X-Plane ######. Wants to see anything MS related vanish off the earth, so that the masses will flock to X-Plane and place buildings at 30,000 empty airports. They whine and cry if someone wanders itnto their little corner of the site and says ANYTHING they feel is a sleight to XPX. Yet this poster and other X-Plane ###### will wander over here and make their snarky little comments.At this point in time, my impression is that they are worried that Flight may not be the arcade game they hope it is. Because if that happens X-Plane goes back to being the same old X-Plane.
Well said meshman. Edited by jimburke

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I think one more thing to consider is that if Flight is more accessible and 'user friendly', it might attract those who could be a little intimidated with all those buttons and switches, and maybe, just maybe create a few more 'air-minded' individuals who might otherwise have ridden off into the sunset in their rFactor race car or T-72 Battle Tank. Of course, if you just want to blow things up....

Just curious, Arwen, where were you before the flight beta?

Well said meshman.
It was well-written. Flat out wrong on pretty much every point, but I do have to concede thst he has a good command of language. :(

Just curious, Arwen, where were you before the flight beta?
Same place I am right now.If you look at my profile, you would see that I've been a member here since 2006. That was when I decided that I wanted to get back into flightsims (My older bother was a HUGE fan of flightsims and was the one who got me into them, as he raise me after our parents died, when I was still little. When I suddenly lost him in 2002, I gave away most of his collection of flightsim, as I couldn't bring myself to use them).But I was a full time college student back in 2006, until my graduation in 2009, so I didn't have much time to spend here, or to play games. After I graduated, I began to spend more time with FSX and (X-Plane 9), and I upgraded my graphics card in Feb 2010, and purchased a number of third party addons for FSX. Most of the time that I spent on AVSIM back then, was in the FXS tech support threads, as I tried to get it to run with decent framerates on my PC ... and I was never successful, so I pretty much gave up on FSX. During this time (since my graduation) I was spending most of my free time making mods for Bethesda's Fallout games and running my website, and an international gaming forum that I started.Late last fall I had finally paid off my student loans and had saved up enough to purchase a new gaming computer, and I wanted to make sure that I was configuring it in a way that would run FSX well. So I started spending time on these forums again. This where I first learned about Flight, and where I leaned that about the Beta Testing sign up.I still don't have my new PC (a FedEx gorilla trashed it before it reached me). So I still cannot run FSX with acceptable frame rates (or without it crashing, when it runs out of memory after 30 minutes or so of flying).Ok, enough about me. You have my word that I'm not a MS spy.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.