Sign in to follow this  
Super Six-Four

I just read Tom's blog...

@Arwen ~ You don't have to prove anything to anybody here, just be yourself and is somebody does not like it ....well....tough .

Thank's Alain, I am just being myself. But when you're a female on a male dominated forum, you do end up being a bit of a target, and you have to occasionally stand up for yourself.I received a pm recently from an irate member who didn't feel it was right for a female to even be active on these forums, since flying flightsims was a "guy thing."I informed him that AVSIM was NOT a boys only club, and that I NEVER passed any sign that said Men's Room when I signed up.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Guest jahman
I received a pm recently from an irate member who didn't feel it was right for a female to even be active on these forums, since flying flightsims was a "guy thing."
Sheesh, Arwen, you should have pointed him in the direction of the CaveSim Forum :Big Grin:Hope you get your nice PC up and running soon!Cheers,- jahman. Edited by jahman

I received a pm recently from an irate member who didn't feel it was right for a female to even be active on these forums, since flying flightsims was a "guy thing."I informed him that AVSIM was NOT a boys only club, and that I NEVER passed any sign that said Men's Room when I signed up.
Are you serious? The nerve of some people...If this hobby had more women participating it would be a good thing all the way around. Besides, a woman's voice is more noticable amidst the din of noise surrounding it.You keep on going, Arwen... if that guy can't deal with it well, that's his loss. Edited by ViperPilot

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Thank's Alain,I am just being myself. But when you're a female on a male dominated forum, you do end up being a bit of a target, and you have to occasionally stand up for yourself.I received a pm recently from an irate member who didn't feel it was right for a female to even be active on these forums, since flying flightsims was a "guy thing."I informed him that AVSIM was NOT a boys only club, and that I NEVER passed any sign that said Men's Room when I signed up.
:( , no $hit, you know what they say about that kind of guys right....they have a small..............brain.. :acute:Guess what... I'm a man and I don't mind been dominated by a female....see...it works both way.... dirol.gif Stand your ground Arwen and keep posting your opinion or idea.

I'm sorry to hear that Arwin. There are lots of jerks and jerkesses so don't let them get you down. If you ever want to build your own, drop down to the hardware forum and we will walk you through it step by step.Kind regards,

I know there's gotta me more than just me. There's just gotta be.Another thing I know:I am excited about MS Flight. Finally I can play for more than 8 minutes without a fatal error (unlike FSX). Finally, I'll be able to load up a float plane mission where the plane is actually in the water as it should be. Finally, the missions will trigger the next 'phase' when they should (oh, I needed to be 2 more inches closer). Finally, I can have hyper-realistic scenery and smooth framerates. Finally, when I download a plane, it will work the first time and install correctly. Finally, I won't download a plane, mission, or add-on scenery that won't simply be awful and litter my directories with junk. Finally, I can find a certain plane, in one place, by a vetted author with vetted code. Finally, everything I'm used to doing with FSX won't be such an incredible hassle.Finally MS has overhauled their flight simulator program for this century! My wallet is standing by and with microtransactions, I won't even realize I'm running an eight-hundred dollar flight simulator :). And, when I want to do some fun flying in the much dreaded "arcade mode" (whatever that is?), I can do that too.I sit here and look at my FSX Box and it's bloated multi-DVD set from Microsoft Game Studios and thank it for many years of fun and frustration. It's served me well, but it's high-time it gets a rewrite. It's ported code from Windows 95 is really a drag. It's handling of memory, CPUs, and graphics must be ancient with all the errors and weirdness I get.Flight, I know you won't be exactly like FSX in content nor will you have all my beloved 3rd party add-ons when you are born, but I do know you'll grow quickly into a better FSX than I could imagine. I'm sorry some people think you are just an ugly little step-child not worthy of love, but I'll love you. Be patient, they will love you too.
well your troubles are over, I think they are planning an xbox360 release, you can play this game a 60 in TV if you like, I still prefer my 19 inch lcd on my desktop and my old pc.

I am just being myself. But when you're a female on a male dominated forum, you do end up being a bit of a target, and you have to occasionally stand up for yourself.
ArwenI enjoy reading your posts and share your optimism about Flight. It is nice to have some female company on these forums. Please keep posting.

[snip]I received a pm recently from an irate member who didn't feel it was right for a female to even be active on these forums, since flying flightsims was a "guy thing."I informed him that AVSIM was NOT a boys only club, and that I NEVER passed any sign that said Men's Room when I signed up.
Good one Arwen, glad to see you don't let anything like that get to you.

well your troubles are over, I think they are planning an xbox360 release, you can play this game a 60 in TV if you like, I still prefer my 19 inch lcd on my desktop and my old pc.
That's great news - my 7 and 4 year old will love doing that. In a few more years, they'll be ready for a yoke, pedals, and maybe even some IFR stuff on our PC. Sounds like it'll be a great way to introduce them to PC flight. Edited by Rush1169

Thanks guys! :)That pm has definitely not been the norm here. So it wasn't difficult to put one guy in his place. That particular individual has since been banned by Tom (not because of me), which didn't surprise me. The worse part was that he made some rather rude accusations about me and my lack of femininity, just because I happen to enjoy flightsims. I thought that we had progressed beyond that sort of male superiority attitude years ago. Apparently a few guys didn't get the memo.I use to get similar pms on some of the gaming forums a decade ago, for being one of the only female members who posted there. But now female posters are very common on those same forums. For some reason, there are still only a few of us on the flightsim forums.Part of the problem is that FSX and X-Plane are a not all that user friendly and both require a top end PC to run well . . . and most females are not exactly into PC hardware, or interested in spending hours trying to figure out how to gain a few more FPS. We just want to load up the game and fly.This is one reason why I'm looking forward to Flight. What I can say is that it is VERY user friendly (perhaps a bit too much for some), and a new user can be up and flying in no time at all. And it will run well on my old PC, without me having to do anything at all. I believe that Flight is going to get more females interested in flying than FSX ever did (hmm ... perhaps that was what that guy was afraid of).But I'm also doing what I can to push Flight in the direction that will also attract even the "hardcore" flight simmers.

Edited by Arwen

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

What?! That's insane. If anything, this hobby needs more women not less. Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Thank's Alain, I am just being myself. But when you're a female on a male dominated forum, you do end up being a bit of a target, and you have to occasionally stand up for yourself.I received a pm recently from an irate member who didn't feel it was right for a female to even be active on these forums, since flying flightsims was a "guy thing."I informed him that AVSIM was NOT a boys only club, and that I NEVER passed any sign that said Men's Room when I signed up.
What a piece of s h i t! Glad you aren't easily offended! More girls is just what this hobby needs! Edited by simmerhead

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

To the tune of the Itsy Bitsy SpiderMe am Ugh and Me am caveman, firing up my planeMe see girly person coming, never be the sameMe feel threatened me feel scared, me not know what to doMe will beat on hairy chest while sending mail to you

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.