Sign in to follow this  
Reason

Your opinion about Level D 767

Asking about opinions of the LDS767 for simming is like asking opinions about air for breathing.
Well said. Bought it for both FS9 and FSX!Kind regards,

Gday MarkRey,Whilst i only fly light aircraft in real life and know next to nothing about the heavy stuff, i would of thought a jet would be able to handle an 1100ft per minute rate of descent in moderate turbulence.I'll head over to the Level D forums and check it out though.Thanks.

Don't really fly it much these days as it feels a bit old school alongside say the iFly 737 or the PMDG MD11 but it's a classic for FS9. You do need the Andre VC textures though as the stock VC looks very bland without them. Even today, however, it is unsurpassed in terms of functionality - as you'll find out from the ######ing hosties if you have the packs turned up too warm! Not even the NGX is *that* clever...

Edited by BenW

If you don't care about the 'flat' overhead is a great Airplane. FMC is updated via NAvigraph, it has system's simulations and you can set failure frequency and severity. i.e.: you can let it have x failures every y days, weeks or months. Also those x failures might be moderate or severe.It also has Autoland CatIII capability. You can connect to external power, air and pushback via a pop-up menu triggeed by a button placed on the overhead. I like the MCP, pedestal and FMC pop-up while in VC. You can also find a digital trim indicator in AVSIM library.

Sam. 

Waiting for the 64-bit PSION Flightsim for ZX-Spectrum ////

I forgot the only major gripe I have with it, is the FMC is not "active" if you will in VC mode!!! But its really not a big deal i guess.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Another Level-D 767 lover here!! Took it yesterday on a 9 hour flight across the Pond on VATSIM (they had a huge event) and it went great as usual!!!It has some nice features beyond a great systems and failures modelling perspective - the cabin crew, whilst scripted in nature, respond to events such as smoke in the cabin, oxygen masks, and fire!!! The cabin ALERT button actually does something.The systems failures are very well done, too. Anything can happen, and you don't get 50 failures in 3 minutes. You might get an annoyance today, then nothing for a few weeks, then something else happens. It also consumes engine and APU oil and simulates small hydraulic fluid loss due to usage of the systems, requiring re-fills periodically.The IRS is a work of art, too. It's accuracy is affected in part by how you fly. If you're screaming around the pattern, pulling the aircraft around, and accelerating/decelerating at the high end of the performance envelope, the IRS accuracy degrades faster than if you're at cruise for 14 hours. Subtle, but it is there! Requires an eye to be kept on the IRS accuracy as it drifts, as drift rates are random, and may be a sign of a fault/failure. As it was on my crossing yesterday, I had to drop IRS 1 into ATT as its position became unreliable and exceeded the hourly drift rate permitted. Fortunately I'd already crossed the Atlantic by that time.If you can get over what the graphics look like, the aircraft itself is just outstanding. You can be sure it won't crash on you 8 hours into a flight. You can tell the difference in handling due to winglets vs. no winglets, too. Excellent!!! Ensure you allow extra distance to decel and expect greater usage of the speedbrakes on descent.Another vote here for the LSH MD-82 ( http://www.flythemaddog.com/ ) - it is as hard-core as it gets. Real-world manuals required.Best regards,Robin.

Just bought this bird the other day, and for its age the systems and everything about this aircraft is beautiful.One thing ive found with it though is the Autopilot cannot handle turbulence. The two flights ive had, ive had moderate turbulence in the lower half of the descent, and it hasnt been able to maintain 250kts, it has kept increasing until, in case of the first flight, i took over using V/S. Even then it couldnt handle it. I input a vertical descent rate of 1100fpm which it should have easily maintained, yet couldnt. The second flight i had to manually take control of the aircraft to bring the speed back under control.Does anyone else experience this?
Yes, and it is realistic. Autoflight systems are far from perfect. ;) AT systems are often much worse than their simulated counterparts. In fact, we often experience things *too good* compared to reality, even if we think they are poor in the sim! I was talking to a VDC-10 commander (not a typo - it was a hybrid tanker/cargo/pax aircraft for the Dutch military) last year - the AT system is so poor they rarely use it except in the cruise. In turbulence they disengage it as it can't keep up.1100 ft/min rate of descent can be too much for it to maintain speed. If you need to decel quickly - your only option is to level off and use speedbrakes. EDIT: It seems you are permitted to use the landing gear to decelerate as well, as long as you don't exceed the maximum gear extension/retraction speeds.Best regards,Robin.

Hands down, one of my favorite aircraft to fly in fs9. The only plane that tops it for me is the dreamfleet 727, which has great systems modeling as well. I do own the Pmdg 737, 747 and Md-11 and ifly 737, but for an fms equipped aircraft I prefer the level-d. I usually fly mostly cargo flights for my VA and did end up painting a cargo livery for the 767, it does have a nice paint kit. You can't go wrong with it

Coltrane ... not sure if you've already purchased the Level D ( I add my vote of confidence too BTW) but I'm a bit worried about the 'same as, same as' factor.

Perhaps you might like to consider the BAe146 ... QualityWings and CLS have this bird in late development, Aerosoft have an old version , no VC, (by Digital Aviation of Fokker 70/100 fame.)

This jet has 4 engines, like the Queen so you'll feel at home, but being a regional will open up a whole different simming experience to you. Many airline liveries are/will be available too so wherever you fly this aircraft should be appropriate.

Just a thought and best of luck.

Coltrane ... not sure if you've already purchased the Level D ( I add my vote of confidence too BTW) but I'm a bit worried about the 'same as, same as' factor.

Perhaps you might like to consider the BAe146 ... QualityWings and CLS have this bird in late development, Aerosoft have an old version , no VC, (by Digital Aviation of Fokker 70/100 fame.)

This jet has 4 engines, like the Queen so you'll feel at home, but being a regional will open up a whole different simming experience to you. Many airline liveries are/will be available too so wherever you fly this aircraft should be appropriate.

Just a thought and best of luck.

Hey there,

In fact I have bought the 763 about a month ago, Im pleased with it, thou as you said, it's just another Boeing thingy... well the good thing is I didn't spend months to learn it.

QW should have been great but it just lacks the depth of realism.. I don't need as simple as it gets. The model is nice thou, dont know about the rest, my preference of course and CLS too is not poles apart, the 330-340 models are amazing.. but the panel is just too ancient, the good thing is it's merge-able with wilco vol 2, well at least if you can live with spoiler malfunction and night lights issues in 2d panel..

Thanx for sharing mate

regards

Bought this plane when it first came out (original) years ago, and learned all from this acrft on flying the big birds. It is still a good plane (LDS), but I hardly ever fly it anymore for various reasons. But if you want a 767 in the fleet, this is the best around. When using a widescreen monitor I lose a portion of some display numbers etc. on cockpit screens.It works just fine on W7 64 Bit . You will not get duplicate FMC's and the graphics have a little bit of a distortion, but nothing really terrible, again this with a widescreen. The data base will be out of date of course but can be resolved. As said, it is a great sim, but showing it's age in some respects, but it is not dead.

Like Polar above, I bought it when it first came out, flew it during the round the world benefit during our Seattle FanCon a few years ago, and still bring it out from time to time when I wanna fly a 767. Have used it a couple times for cross the pond on VATSIM, and I still feel it's a strong bird to have.

As for the navaid, approach, etc database, you can still update those as like other products. :)

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler