Sign in to follow this  
tamascy

REX vs ActiveSky

I switched back to Active Sky because with REX my visibility would frequently turn to unlimited...... Very unrealistic.Hifi Software has tackled that problem and so the choice for me was clear.Menno

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

I am intrigued by this question as well. I use ASE for weather generation, and REX for textures. I've seen some incredible screen shots, of AS2012, and I'm considering switching. Any opinions?

REX for textures.Activesky for weather.IMO the best combination.Be aware that AS2012 is causing framedrops (for some), inculuding me. Maybe others just didn't notice.

I am using FSrealWX lite at the moment, was thinking to buy Active Sky 2012 but unfortunately it comes with those textures which I don't want and also its high price tag. I think I will settle with the freeware at the moment.

I am using REX for textures, themes and Active Sky for weather. I don't know how good is Active Sky 2012 so waiting for a review is better. Don't use REX for weather since there are some problems.

I am using AS2012 all the way now. No more REX textures but that is because I like to install the appropriate weather textures from AS2012 that go with the weatherreport and the processed flightplan.I am not experienceing the frame drops as Word Not Allowed mentions, but if this is reported by others too, I am sure HIFI will work on it and adjust it.Menno

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

I was a long term user of Rex before switching to ASE and then AS2012. AS2012 textures are 2nd to none in my opinion. I went back and forth initially, but soon realized that AS2012 weather engine and textures are a class above. I often find myself flying above overcast weather with very few holes. This is something you can't get with Rex. There are no violent wind shifts and flashing sky. It's taken some patience to get where I am with AS2012 but it's all been worth it. I frequently use weather based textures for my flight plan and find the installation time much shorter than Rex. Having said that, AS2012 is not without some minor problems which I am sure the developers will fix if they can. Eg as others have also noted, I find it more resource intensive than Rex. But its not very noticeable on my system. With weather based texture installation, Shade and halo textures get overwritten, so I have to fix that each time. But as I said above, these are very small issues compared to the overall experience this fantastic utility has to offer. It remains to be seen what enhancements REX Essentials will offer over AS2012.Sam

I'm also a rex to AS2012 switcher. Nice to have one program with integration, frames have been good.Will be interested to see if Rex can make their next release good enough to make me switch back!

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Gentlemen...REX Essentials will be released soon!It's not just a patch, it's virtually a new product.Check out the specs, it should be something special.Even better, it's a free upgrade to REX owners.I'd wait a bit if you are considering a purchase. Could well be that "Essentials" is a whole new ball game.

I am using FSrealWX lite at the moment, was thinking to buy Active Sky 2012 but unfortunately it comes with those textures which I don't want and also its high price tag. I think I will settle with the freeware at the moment.
+1 I don't bother with ActiveSky anymore. FSrealWX produces more realistic weather layers and wind IMHO. And it is FREE. I use REX textures which are also brilliant.
REX Essentials will be released soon!It's not just a patch, it's virtually a new product.Check out the specs, it should be something special.Even better, it's a free upgrade to REX owners.I'd wait a bit if you are considering a purchase. Could well be that "Essentials" is a whole new ball game.
Looks good from their website. And it's a FREE upgrade. Another reason I won't be giving ActiveSky my business anymore.Nice pix here:http://www.realenvir...ne-denver-soup/Adam Edited by SQUAWKIDENT

REX for textures.Activesky for weather.IMO the best combination.Be aware that AS2012 is causing framedrops (for some), inculuding me. Maybe others just didn't notice.
+1REX seems to do a better job from what I have seen so far.

I guess I'm like Srdan: (Word Not Allowed) - Active Sky ASE plus REX textures.I'm not sure that ActiveSky 2012 can beat that combo. I would think (and I could easily be wrong) that it's probably the HiFI 'single application' answer to that combination, and consists of ASE with much better textures, plus some extra bells and whistles.The coming release of REX Essentials is much more 'iffy'. When REX was first released it promised flight planning, a weather engine - and great textures. well, it has certainly delivered those 'great textures', but the rest has been pretty ho-hum, hence the complete re-think by Tim and the crew, so the question in my mind is - do I upgrade my ASE to 2012 - for almost $40 Can, or do I wait for a free REX Essentials, and then evaluate it's possible benefits?

Edited by Paul J

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

ok, as a beta tester I am biased but before testing AS2012 I used ASE for weather and FEX for clouds. REX always gave me problems, low frames, flashing, etc that I didn't get from FEX. After testing AS2012 - no comparison - AS2012 all the way. Frames are on a par with FEX. Some people report frames issues and we are attempting to track down the similarities in setup and systems. The majority do not report frame issues and I saw none it testing.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I now use only AS2012. I like that it is an all and one program. I did use the REX clouds for a while. It seems like the guys at REX got caught a bit flat footed on the release of AS2012. They have been promising a good wx generator for years now but so far hasn't happened. Giving away their next release for free seems a bit desperate to me. I have no frame issues on my rig althought I do run AS2012 on a networked computer. Don't know how much difference that may cause.

Edited by shivers9

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/