Sign in to follow this  
PIC007

Do NOT push this button!

So there I was, happily flying along at FL320 in my QW 757, enjoying the new scenery I had finally installed, FTX. It was a beautifull day for flying, CAVU and I have to say, the terrain below me was breathtaking. We hit our TD and started a descent into PAKT, seat belts and no smoking signs on, 1500FPM descent rate, 290kts IAS, everything smooth and perfect, not a cloud in the sky........ and then...........about 80nm from PAKT............ screen freeze, FSX totally locked up.... BUMMER!I was flying in multiplayer with 2 other pilots (one of whom is the person who talked me into installed FTX), so I decided to exit then return at PAKT to watch them land. When I got back into the session at PAKT, there was no runway, no water, no scenery, it was totally hosed. I have flown in/out of PAKT many times so I knew what it should look like and this definatly wasn't it.I mentioned the problem to the others and Mike told me he would fix it after he landed, but he was still about 60nm's out, which is when the real issue began. I got curious and also bored while waiting so I decided to poke around the FTX interface, since I hadn't looked at it much. I should also mention I have Tongass Fiords and UTAlaska installed as well and they have always worked flawlessly, so my assumption was that FTX was causing the problem.NOTE TO DEVELOPERS: NEVER install an option that a idiot can press!!! (ME being the idiot)So as I'm sticking my nose where ti doesn't belong, looking at the various options under the FTX TOOLS menu, I see " FLUSH SCENERY INDEXES". What made me click that I can't tell you, but what I can tell you is that I will NEVER press it again!I completely hosed my FSX, and if it wasnt for Mike spending the next 6 hours finding and fixing the problem, I would have had to do a complete reinstall of FSX. I tell this story in the hopes of someone else averting a problem before it happens to them, and to give kudos to Mike, an man of unlimited patience who was also gracious enough to NOT laugh his butt off (too much) at my screwup... tks Mike!

Jay

mmm I think I've done that several times.. all was good... what does it really do and what was the fix?

Ciao!

flush....
Haha I did that a bit ago too - yep screwed up everything! Don't do it lol

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have done this a few times with no ill effects but not since installing PAKT, I gotta say I'm almost tempted now. Just like when a waiter or waitress says not to touch the plate because its hot, burn myself everytime. :(

Come on, that is like leaving us alone in a room with no cameras and no one watching with a big red button in the middle that says don't press under any circumstances and expecting people to actually not press it.Ludicrous! :( :(

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Sounds like calling it the "Flush" button was appropriate!! :(

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I just completed an install of a scenery update for Cleveland - KBKL. One of the strangest instructions I have ever seen for a FSX scenery install. It has one of those txt files named 'do not click on this'. This in on our main page today.Installation:To install this folow these instructions exactly in the same order as they are listed.1) Hightlight the four .bgl files2) Drag and drop them to your desktop.3) Cut and paste (or drag and drop) the .bgl files to your Addon Sceneryscenery folder.4) Drag the .txt document that says "do not click on this" and put it in your Addon Sceneryscenery folder.5) Start flight simulator. This is NOT the last step. When Flight simulator starts, close it.6) Open up the Textures folder that is in the .zip file. You should see a bunch of .dds files inside of it. DO NOT CLICK ON ANY OF THE .dds FILES.7) Once you are in the Textures folder, press CTRL+A to highlight every thing inside the folder.dirol.gif Drag and drop the .dds files to your Addon Scenerytexture folder.That is it. Enjoy!I did notice the author is 12 years old. This is the future - done with Google Sketchup 8, Airport Facilitator X and Instant Scenery 2.I'm off to see if the scenery looks better than the screenshots.Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Well Jay we all have those "ouch" moments in life I remember back in the old dos days my first experience with such a moment...We had a new software tool called "Norton Commander" and browsing for the first time through files I deleted the wrong system directory...Hard lesson learned had to reinstall all software and o/s again lol

André

Pushing buttons you have no idea what they'll do FTW!

7900X OC @ 4.8GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional | 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (SLI) | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 2800

Not to mention this oldy, surprised it hasn't come up yethttp://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=9644

This reminds me of the time in our new Mercedes, which has MBrace on board (MB version of On-Star). I looked up, pulled down on a red cover (you know what's coming don't you--it ain't a question) and pushed the red button. Almost immediately a very concerned sounding and somewhat breathless woman came over the speakers at high volume and asked if I was OK. Took me several minutes and I almost had to sign a release that I was indeed OK--just dumber than ...(you know what). And yes I went to the site and kept pushing the red button.Keep kicking, it feels good.

Consider this: You are walking alone on a beach at sunset and come upon a box, partially buried in the sand. On the box is only one button and below the button are the words "Push this button to cure all the ills of humankind for all eternity".Do you:1 Push the button2 Give the box to a higher authority in hopes that they will make better use of it than you can3 Sell the box to the hightest bidder4 Take the box apart to see how it works

or 5 take the box home for the cat to play with.6 bury the box in the sanddunes somewhere in the Sahara,geotag the spot wih your smartphone, then boast to the free world you coulda but you wouldn'ta,after which you drop the smartphone in the toilet.

Old topic but i had the same problem and i can't find a solution! 

If the topic starter could tell me what he did to fix it.