Sign in to follow this  
nigelporter

using the name forum

not being a part of, or having taken part in the strong views expressed in the forum whose name shall not be mentioned, Doesnt the management feel that we are using the name forum too loosely. After all it was the romans that created forums as a place where free speech and radical ideas could be discussed with fervour and harsh words. I noted the rules of avsim when i joined and have endevoured to act accordingly but there are times when some decisions, news make one want to vent ones spleen and that place is ideally a forum.Whilst I have been a member of avsim for many years and have enjoyed reading many peoples thoughts, whether i agreed with them or not, do you not feel that applying the nanny state rules a trifle harsh? if we no longer support free ideas etc then we must surely no longer use the name forum. I well remember compuserve , surely the originator of the name forum when it comes to the internet, and the heated discussions that were tolerated there (over 25 years ago) and it didnt suffer from those discussions so why not let them continue? how does the old saying go? "sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me".

Personal ideas are fine, personal attacks are not and that is what the Flight Forum was turning into.

Personal ideas are fine, personal attacks are not and that is what the Flight Forum was turning into.
personally me thinks M.S. had a word in someones lugole , I cant see the harm if people do get personal, it just shows how passionate some of us are about our hobby, i think we should re-name" forums" to "aunties fireside"

personally me thinks M.S. had a word in someones lugole
Actually, you just proved the necessity of forum decorum standards with moderation. Such specific innuendo like this shot you just gave here cleverly attempts to cast doubt and slur someone's (yes, we get it, you mean Tom) motives and character thereby bringing his integrity into question. That sir, you have no legal right to do anywhere without proof that will stand up in a court of law, online or offline, in any civilized country in the world. Disallowing that kind of behaviour is paramount in maintaining any kind of organization, especially forums.Regards,

personally me thinks M.S. had a word in someones lugole ,...
Personally, I think that type of statement is (to be polite) ridiculous. Let's play what if, shall we? Microsft says to Avsim "Be nicer, or else..." Else what? Seriously, else what? Not invite Tom A. or anyone else to Redmon to see Flight 2.0?
I cant see the harm if people do get personal, it just shows how passionate some of us are about our hobby, ...
If verbal assualts are OK, will physical assualts also be permissible? Just curious, because we all know that Road Rage never escalates to anything more than flipping someone the finger, right?And passion should not be confused with emotion. These are two different things. People acting on emotion are on the cusp of loosing control, whereas passionate people are rooted down in a conviction. There's a fine line between passion and emotion. It's real easy to cross over from the "sane" side to the "insane" side.
i think we should re-name" forums" to "aunties fireside"
When you want to introduce quasi-derogatory, cutesy phrases it only serves to diminish your point of view, IMO.Forums can be a great place for dialog and communication. But all too often ego and testosterone enter in the equation and then direct the discussion into areas where it should never be.Coupled with a sense of "freedom of speech" is also a responsibility to exercise that freedom and to use it wisely. More often that not, I have hit the Back key to leave a thread rather than interject my comments into the conversation. Sometimes it's because I feel my comments might tend to be dictated by emotions. Sometimes it's because I feel no one would really care what I thought. Sometimes it's because I realize that no matter what I would say, it wouldn't have much effect. I don't feel the need to go aound and declare my "freedom of speech". But I will exercise it, if and when the circumstances dictate.I'm also well aware that the U.S. Bill of Rights does not grant blanket priviliges to me. As this is a private forum, I must adhere to it's rules. For people who may not like that, I can sincerely suggest that they go and setup their own forums and make whatever rules they want. Or they can have a complete lack of rules, if they so want. That's "freedom of speech"! But the free for all that ensues? Good luck with that!At another flight sim forum I posted about someone's long tirade about not getting some VC for an add on airplane. Shortly thereafter I got a vile and vulgar PM from the OP. Nasty stuff, filled with emotion. I just responded with concern that his mother might have to see "her little boy" using such language and how I doubt if we were standing together that he would even attempt to use such a tone or content. Didn't hear a peep from him again. That's not the type of dialog that belongs in an open forum. That's why there are rules and guidelines in place. When emotions take over there is no sense of responsibility being displayed.When (if?) the Flight forum is reopened and you want to discuss your displeasure, great! You buy a 737 and want to discuss it versus other 737s, great! But leave the ego and emotion at the Avsim front door. As with most any civilized environment, it's not welcome here. Chest thumping worked well for the cavemen. Is it really necessary today?

personally me thinks M.S. had a word in someones lugole , I cant see the harm if people do get personal, it just shows how passionate some of us are about our hobby, i think we should re-name" forums" to "aunties fireside"
Having called into question the integrity of every volunteer here, including me, how do you think we should respond to that Nigel? Answer quick...
When (if?) the Flight forum is reopened and you want to discuss your displeasure, great!
No "if" about it at all. The FLIGHT forum will be reopened. The rules of engagement for moderators will be strict, and enforced without second thought. There will be some who previously were dealt with pretty softly. That will not be the case come the 29th. THE ROE: If you haven't anything to POSTIVELY contribute to the FLIGHT forum, do not post there or you may find yourself suspended or worse.If anyone thinks that calling our bluff will be fun sport, then they should be prepared to meet the door in places that will probably hurt.

"sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me"
That is one of the most idiotic expressions that have ever been created. Words and names most certainly can hurt another person in the deepest and most vulnerable parts of their psyche.Moreover, intemperate words and names can also cause irreparable harm to a person's reputation. That's precisely why most civilized nations have libel and slander laws.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

That is one of the most idiotic expressions that have ever been created. Words and names most certainly can hurt another person in the deepest and most vulnerable parts of their psyche.Moreover, intemperate words and names can also cause irreparable harm to a person's reputation. That's precisely why most civilized nations have libel and slander laws.
Bill, you are certainly helping my one good nerve to hit its "twang" state. :LMAO: (which is not a bad thing necessarily.... )

there is no attempt to question any volunteers integrity here , you guys are so wound up you are going off at a tangent, whilst i have no problem with there being site rules i just dont think that it can be called a forum if all the discussions are moderated,but never mind i will still enjoy avsim and fully support it as i have done for many years, i just think it is a sad day that the admin feel that they have to take a site down and then angrily shout me down in a typical american way when i question the misuse of the word forum.whatever happened to "speak softly but carry a big stick"

Nigel....aka "Britfrog".....you are bang out of order.

AVSIM Staff Reviewer
Bush Is Good!
banTedG01.jpg

Ridiculous. :shok: :Waiting:
there is no attempt to question any volunteers integrity here , you guys are so wound up you are going off at a tangent, whilst i have no problem with there being site rules i just dont think that it can be called a forum if all the discussions are moderated,but never mind i will still enjoy avsim and fully support it as i have done for many years, i just think it is a sad day that the admin feel that they have to take a site down and then angrily shout me down in a typical american way when i question the misuse of the word forum.whatever happened to "speak softly but carry a big stick"
Give us a break.The temporary closing of the flight forum was the result of just the simple fact that there was a titanic amount of crap, pettiness, NDA violations and general abuse going on there! Nothing really constructive or useful was being posted.If you have a genuine critique or constructive criticism you are welcome to present your point. As always - abuse and product bashing is not something allowed on AVSIM. This is a private forum where there are a number of rules you agree to when signing on - http://forum.avsim.n...tion=boardrulesRepeated Failure to adhere to these means: 'Don't let the door hit you on your way Out!'

there is no attempt to question any volunteers integrity here , you guys are so wound up you are going off at a tangent, whilst i have no problem with there being site rules i just don't think that it can be called a forum if all the discussions are moderated,but never mind i will still enjoy avsim and fully support it as i have done for many years, i just think it is a sad day that the admin feel that they have to take a site down and then angrily shout me down in a typical american way when i question the misuse of the word forum.whatever happened to "speak softly but carry a big stick"
It was not your use of the word forum. You conveniently leave out the insinuation of being influenced by MS. And then to add insult to injury, you make a generalization about Americans. And I don't remember angrily doing anything to you. let alone shouting you down. However, I have just now exercised my "big stick".

It was not your use of the word forum. You conveniently leave out the insinuation of being influenced by MS. And then to add insult to injury, you make a generalization about Americans. And I don't remember angrily doing anything to you. let alone shouting you down. However, I have just now exercised my "big stick".
That does not sound right...... :He He: :Clown:Keep up the good work Tom. :hi:

Even at my age I can do that once in awhile... :yahoo:
The joys of pharmeceutical "life enhancers" :Whistle:

AVSIM Staff Reviewer
Bush Is Good!
banTedG01.jpg