Sign in to follow this  
B748-Driver

Is the FMC manual avialable for 737NGX?

Howdy Folks,Bought my 737NGX a few days ago. Very nice plane.I was wondering if there is a FMC maual for 737NG out there?The reason I'm asking is that I'm stuck on how to enter a course intercept. Flight is from KLAX to KSFO. RNWY 24R. According to the chart I have to intercept SMO R-154 below 3000.KLAX VTU5 RZS J501 BSR BSR2 KSFOChart is available at:http://avn.faa.gov/d...0237VENTURA.PDFAny help will be greatly appreciated. :smile:Thanks,OmarKSFO

I believe all manuals are in the pmdg folder on the PC.. Alll 3000 pages, or thereabouts!

A solution could be to tune SMO, put the course at 154 and then hand fly below 3000 till you cross the line.Creating a custom waypoint might be a bit tricky as you don't know the distance from SMO...

Edited by El padrino

It is in the installation, Operations manual vol 2. Look in the PMDG menu in windows. Chapter 11, do a search in the pdf reader for 'flight management'. Starts at pdf-page no 793There is no tutorial in the manual, instead do the NGX Tutorial 1.

Per W Sweden

To be 100% clear, you are not supposed to intercept the SMO 154 radial. You are supposed to cross the SMO 154 radial at or below 3000 feet, flying heading 250. Note the line indication the radial is thin, this means it is for reference, not direction. It looks like you understand that from your post, but I wanted to make sure this is clear to everyone as this is a very common mistake on VATSIM (I control at LAX on Vatsim). Similarly, the LOOP6 departure has a turn when crossing the radial if departing from the southern runways (25L/R) as does the LAXX6..(edit)To answer the question, the easiest way is to set SMO in the NAV1 (110.800) and set 154 on the left MCP course knob. Depending on the display options, you may see a green dashed line on the ND. (This is a customer option, and is settable in the CDU. For example, Southwest has these, American does not.) If so, there you are. If not, change the EFIS knob from MAP to VOR and watch for the CDI needle to swing down.An alternate method would be to go to the FIX page on the CDU, enter SMO at the top, and 154 in one of the lower lines. This will give you the green line on the ND (in MAP mode) if manual tuning does not.

Edited by Steven_Caffey

Steve Caffey

Howdy Folks,Bought my 737NGX a few days ago. Very nice plane.I was wondering if there is a FMC maual for 737NG out there?The reason I'm asking is that I'm stuck on how to enter a course intercept. Flight is from KLAX to KSFO. RNWY 24R. According to the chart I have to intercept SMO R-154 below 3000.KLAX VTU5 RZS J501 BSR BSR2 KSFOChart is available at:http://avn.faa.gov/d...0237VENTURA.PDFAny help will be greatly appreciated. :smile:Thanks,OmarKSFO
Omar,I believe your specific question is intercepting a radial using the FMC even though it's not what you are supposed to do in this case (per the chart). Had the same type of question some time ago so here is some information:
  • Let's assume that the chart indicated to fly to SMO by intercepting R-154, so you.....
  • Switch to roll mode of Heading.
  • Set heading to 300* (or any other value to remain within the limits of LNAV capture).
  • Upload "SMO" to LSK 1L from the scratchpad.
  • Upload "334" to LSK 6R from the scratchpad.
  • EXEC on the CDU.
  • LNAV will now be armed and the aircraft will turn right to intercept R154* and head to SMO with a heading of 334*.

Zach

zachlog

Zach (no last name), read the posts please. That arrival does not include intercepting and flying any radial to SMO.

Dan Downs KCRP

I think Zach knows that, as he stated in his reply that the SID (Departure) didn't call for it.

Edited by SteveAull

Steve Aull

Thank you all for prompt replies.Correction to my original post: It should have read "cross SMO R-154," not intercept it.Need to do a lot of reading. I like the FIX idea. I can enter the FIX with RADIAL but ALT is still an issue and most importantly inserting it at the correct position in flight plan.Thanks again.Best,OmarKSFO

Need to do a lot of reading. I like the FIX idea. I can enter the FIX with RADIAL but ALT is still an issue and most importantly inserting it at the correct position in flight plan.
Downselect the fix and upselect it to the legs page in the correct position. Then assign a altitude and/or speed restriction to the new waypoint. Edited by jordanal

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

The simplest solution is often the best. Simply set your MCP altitude to 3,000 until passing the radial, then increase to 5,000 (the initially assigned altitude for all departures from LAX). When you call departure they'll give you higher and you increase the MCP altitude as assigned. (this assumes you're flying with ATC).As this is a vectored departure, you don't need LNAV guidance until you're cleared direct to VTU (or RZS as sometimes happens). Use HDG for the lateral guidance.

Steve Caffey

You can't select the departure and then takeoff in LNAV/VNAV?

Matt Cee

You can't select the departure and then takeoff in LNAV/VNAV?
Not for this departure, have a look at the chart, it's an initial heading for vectors to the first fix. This is very common, especially in the US. Another departure at LAX which is butchered on VATSIM all the time by doing that (LNAV off the ground) is the LOOP6, if you LNAV right away it turns you right immediately instead of the correct heading.

Steve Caffey

Just to verify, I fly the LOOP6 out of Los Angeles all the time. This is an unusual SID in regards to the FMC route because your FMC route of flight is behind you when taking off. So you have to take off using the MCP modes without reference to LNAV or VNAV or as Steve has correctly said, you'll end up turning way too soon and not fly the SID.

LOOP6 says to fly out on a HDG of 235 after crossing the SMO 160 radial. I set the F/O's ND on VOR with 160 in the course and just monitor it. As I approach that radial I turn the HDG from runway heading to 235 and continue to fly out to the 15 mile point before turning left and heading back to fly directly over the LAX VOR. A few miles out from the LAX VOR I engage LNAV and VNAV finally and keep climbing.

I think for those flight simmers who are using ATC, you can get vectored back towards the LAX VOR sooner than 15 miles but you have to make sure you continue climbing as you have to cross the VOR at or above 10,000 feet.