Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Joshua Howard Interview with AVSIM

This is one of the things I don't understand. Wrong about what exactly?

I want to fly a TWA constellation from my local international airport to anywhere I choose in the world.

I want to have access to thousands of freeware and payware airplanes and accurately detailed scenery.

I want to fly to places that I am going to, or have been to. And when I get there, I want to fly in domestic liveries and be surrounded in the air by other domestic carriers.

Is Flight's "potential" going to re-give me these things that it has already taken away on purpose?

I like Flight as a game just fine. However, if I had to choose between it and FS, the depth of the FS series makes it a winner without a question. Of course, the pro Flight folks will always be able to say "just wait, the potential", but so far Joshua has been very clear that this game is not designed for my needs. And here's the other side to it- if MS ever does tear down these walls and releases Flight as a sim (I can't even imagine this...), wouldn't that actually prove the nay-sayers right instead of wrong?

Don't get me wrong, but what i meant was about all the very negative posts.

MS flight gave a lot of expetations but if they gave this info right away there would be no discusions on this scale.

For now i do like to fly flight because i think it has good flight dynamics and so on(low flying) but i am not waiting for a game to develop in a maybe sim .

But i am also more atracted to the old style setup like FS9 and FSX.

I am seriously looking at prepar3d right now because all the 3 party developers are aiming on that right now also you can use a lot of old stuff that is compatible.

And last but not least it is affordable now.

My regards,. Jan

I gotta say, this interview reads differently given recent news and announcements...

It certainly does.

JH: We’ve made some guesses
. I wish they hadn't!!!!

MS Flight is now out of the picture and its team laid off! This doesn't necessarily reflect the failure of Flight's business model, as I learned Microsoft announced their first loss ever since 26 years as a public company, so they'd be rather eager to cut more costs and Flight and Project Columbia weren't in a safe place from the axe.

Now can we expect from Microsoft to release/license the Flight SDK to another independent studio or company to continue further development or they'll keep it for themselves (cos after closing ACES studios and now canceling Flight, I (personally) see no reason why they will continue to develop the FS franchise). It will be a total waste in the second case because a huge effort was put to make Flight what it is, unless Microsoft brings back the franchise in the business but even that is doubtful...anyway time will tell

MS Flight is now out of the picture and its team laid off! This doesn't necessarily reflect the failure of Flight's business model, as I learned Microsoft announced their first loss ever since 26 years as a public company, so they'd be rather eager to cut more costs and Flight and Project Columbia weren't in a safe place from the axe.

Now can we expect from Microsoft to release/license the Flight SDK to another independent studio or company to continue further development or they'll keep it for themselves (cos after closing ACES studios and now canceling Flight, I (personally) see no reason why they will continue to develop the FS franchise). It will be a total waste in the second case because a huge effort was put to make Flight what it is, unless Microsoft brings back the franchise in the business but even that is doubtful...anyway time will tell

I can easily answer your question. They were planning to make an SDK, but since they were laid off, there will be NO SDK. Sorry.

I can easily answer your question. They were planning to make an SDK, but since they were laid off, there will be NO SDK. Sorry.

Well, according to an ex-member of Flight's team (he quit before Flight was canceled), they already had an SDK which, if it was made public, would have shown the real potential of Flight and made FSX "look like a toy". But since Joshua adopted a different approach, 3PD didn't have that option and Flight was doomed before we can know what it is really capable of as a platform... sad though!

Yeah... They should have released Flight with whole world, simple ATC and AI like FSX had (even if it was in bad quality), then third party developers could have done the rest. I believe that if core program had price tag of lets say 30 to 50 dollars it would have made MS more money than all DLC sales combined so far, of course this is just what I think...

Yeah... They should have released Flight with whole world, simple ATC and AI like FSX had (even if it was in bad quality), then third party developers could have done the rest. I believe that if core program had price tag of lets say 30 to 50 dollars it would have made MS more money than all DLC sales combined so far, of course this is just what I think...

Question is... Would we get the quality that we got with the actual game that came out? If we did, it would probably take about 5 years from start of development to beta testing. Then another 2-3 months for beta testing. Then release.

Question is... Would we get the quality that we got with the actual game that came out? If we did, it would probably take about 5 years from start of development to beta testing

The rest of the world would be at least the quality of Alaska. :) Much of Alaska was in "FSX resolution".

I expected after 5 years of Flight development, we'd have pretty much everything we wanted, as close to FS11 as we could get. It's really too bad that development was cancelled so early.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I will have a hard time ever trusting Microsoft again about anything. I really bought into the whole Flight thing. I was in for the long haul and would have bought everything they put out there, as long as it had a cockpit.It turned out to be a very short trip. It had everything I have been looking for in a flight sim. I throught I had finally found it. I will continue to use it and hope for the best. I am looking at a couple of other things, but nothing comes close. Just very very sad with the whole deal. I still can't come to terms that a Big Company like MS could pull something like this.

Steve

I will have a hard time ever trusting Microsoft again about anything. I really bought into the whole Flight thing. I was in for the long haul and would have bought everything they put out there, as long as it had a cockpit.It turned out to be a very short trip. It had everything I have been looking for in a flight sim. I throught I had finally found it. I will continue to use it and hope for the best. I am looking at a couple of other things, but nothing comes close. Just very very sad with the whole deal. I still can't come to terms that a Big Company like MS could pull something like this.

Steve

Everything went downwards for MS the moment Windows Vista came out. The only positive thing MS is releasing right now is Microsoft Office. Internet Explorer is kinda useless now, all the good game studios are gone, and Windows 8 looks like a bust (the OS looks more like an OS for a phone).

Only thing we can do now is try creating a Flight Simulator by ourselves and see what happens. Cause I have a feeling that a high school student playing around in Computer Science class will have an idea of a Flight Simulator pop into their head. That guy/girl might be Bill Gates #2.

Only thing we can do now is try creating a Flight Simulator by ourselves and see what happens.

No sense starting from scratch:

http://www.flightgear.org/

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Not hard to see where this is going.

Bobsk8 - I don't know why you keep coming to this forum if you are so displeased with it. As for now, I will unlock this thread and delete your negative post. I request that you visit the other fine forums here at AVSIM and save yourself the aggravation of visiting here. If you persist, I will request that you be either suspended or banned outright.

Thank You.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Steve

What an overreaction ......