Sign in to follow this  
mattius

We are now well into spring..... Alaska?

As I said, I will buy Alaska the day it will be released, but MS clearly has different priorities than I have. :wink:

This shouldn't prevent you from politely asking for your priorities, even because what you are missing now maybe will never be produced later ! ( almost certainly I would dare to say )

So better demanding for them now :wink:

but all I see is an announcement about a small update for the aerocaches and XP... So THAT's what they've been working on since the last update...?

I am sure they are continuing to work on the next DLC, obviously the aerocache and XP issue was a serious and well known bug that needed to be addressed. I know they are not that important to you, and really not to me either - heck I have not even done the first aerocache hunt - but it was a serious flaw in the program that needed to be fixed asap.

I am sure they are continuing to work on the next DLC, obviously the aerocache and XP issue was a serious and well known bug that needed to be addressed. I know they are not that important to you, and really not to me either - heck I have not even done the first aerocache hunt - but it was a serious flaw in the program that needed to be fixed asap.

True, of course... :wink: I'm just a bit disappointed Alaska wasn't available right after the release of Flight. I am sure they were already working on it, heck, maybe it was already finished months ago... but I am just surprised that they offer so little DLC right now. I honestly really expected a FEW regions to be available within the first month. Hawaii seems to become smaller and smaller day by day, haha! And I never liked flying above water.

Hawaii seems to become smaller and smaller day by day, haha!

Lol, it has not me as of yet but I am sure eventually will. I have slacked off somewhat of my Flight flying mainly the last week or so due to this, plus I have other sims that need some of my attention as well - along with my Track IR! Can't neglect them for too long.

Lol, it has not me as of yet but I am sure eventually will. I have slacked off somewhat of my Flight flying mainly the last week or so due to this, plus I have other sims that need some of my attention as well - along with my Track IR! Can't neglect them for too long.

:wink: I am limiting my flights to one or two a day (or three on saturday and sunday) so I won't be sick of it all by the time Alaska is released. :wink: Luckily the various weather themes and using various times of day almost turn each flight into a completely different game AND flying by VOR, which I only learned after installing Flight, is still very entertaining to me, so... I am not tired of it all yet! I even don't feel like playing any other games, really.

The name change also suggests that the area may be smaller than they first intended it to be. A "Trek to Alaska", whether intended or not, leaves the impression of a fairly extensive journey with a lot of scenery to go with it. But, a "wilderness area"?. How large is a wilderness "area"? I used to have a designated "wilderness area" behind my house that was only 40 acres. So maybe my view of a wilderness area is being influenced by that. I surely hope I am wrong in feeling that we are going to be purchasing small chunks of the world for fairly substantial sums of money for a long, long time before we will own even a reasonable percentage of what we got right out of the box in Flight Simulator.

As for the Alaska release, my opinion is that it will be here when it gets here and no one knows exactly when that will be. My hope is that when it does get here, it will be READY to be here.

Ciao!

Dewey

I don't know if it was ever officially called "Journey to Alaska" although there were some mentions of that name at one time in official releases. That title would imply the ability to fly there from Hawaii, and I don't expect that to be available, although I could be wrong.

Alaska Wilderness includes the whole state. We'll never know it as well as we know Hawaii by now. :)

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

How large is a wilderness "area"?

99% (maybe more) of Alaska is wilderness. Based on the teaser saying 1.2mil square km, I imagine if anything is left out it will be parts of SW AK and/or the far islands in the Aleutians.

When you see "two weeks" you should know that's always an old flightsim joke. :)

Maybe they're taking a little longer because they're close to having Trackir support finalized....

(wishful thinking, my trackir 5 is waiting patiently)

I'm glad someone remembers it! These days, when you say "two weeks", the kids think you mean two weeks! :)

I think this blog post is probably what caused the misunderstanding in the Alaskan DLC's title of 'Journey to Alaska':

https://news.microso...-to-alaska.aspx

This is exactly the post that has been edited.

They changed the wording oh that one.

Now it`s

We're excited to announce some upcoming DLC: journey with us to Alaska,

before it was:

We're excited to announce upcoming DLC: Journey to Alaska,

And they removed completely the sentences were the release in Spring was stated.

Why did they remove the Spring release? Could it be that too many people were complaining about he quality of the scenery and they wanted to create photo-real scenery for Alaska with better roads and stuff?

I have no clue. Another reason could be that they assume everyone knows that and they decided to remove it.

My guess is that to the devs, spring is 3 months long, however to gamers if it is not released on the first day of spring, it is late (i.e. this thread)

=)

Why did they remove the Spring release? Could it be that too many people were complaining about he quality of the scenery and they wanted to create photo-real scenery for Alaska with better roads and stuff?

From the Avsim interview with J. Howard:

"We have begun talking about Alaska, as our next expansion, but are still not ready to talk about the ways in which Alaska expands the Flight experience beyond just having a very different kind of geography to fly over. We will start discussing those details soon, though."

I thought that interview was a month ago It is kinda out of date to the present. Not saying that it has no use, but I'm pretty sure when he meant soon, he meant in the next few days. (March 19-26, no later). We have to wait and see what's next because right now, we are guessing.