Sign in to follow this  
Alec

This makes me scared of being a FS user for too long and becoming a real pilot

That is indeed very sobering. It just goes to prove that rushing to get to the ground is a no-no when you still have one perfectly good engine. A long stabilized approach is the order of the day ( if possible). OP.......maybe I'm incorrect in saying this but even as simulated aircraft in FS are indeed getting more realistic I would NEVER assume their flight dynamics to be anywhere near "real life".

For you guys saying that you, stalled and the aircraft flipped over. Where you single engine, where you in an uncoordinated turn? If you were just flying straight-and-level or a coordinated turn that type of thing shouldn't happen.

Can't really say for sure. It's pretty easy to be uncoordinated in FS though since there's no way to, "feel" it. I haven't done any actual tests with the plane to verify it. It sure felt right to me though.

There's a good chance I WAS single engine, just because I have found myself abusing the Duke and it killing an engine on me before.

Noah Bryant

On the face of it this crash (the C-90) looks eerily similar to a King Air crash at YVR last year. The TSB is still investigating, but from initial news reports it’s understood the flight returned to YVR after a fairly routine oil pressure warning. The engine was not shutdown (i.e. prop not feathered) and the crew declined fire support. So it seems like they weren’t expecting serious difficulty. But just short of the threshold something led to a major loss of control and Vmc upset. The rest is only speculation, but one line of thinking is the designed operation of the CS prop was somehow defeated by the oil pressure situation...producing a sudden and massive asymmetrical drag just when they couldn’t afford it.

You can't tell much from the video above, but that's what I see...a very-very sudden deceleration. The speed does not appear to decay gradually as you might expect if it was pilot inattention. The approach seems quick enough...for all I can tell. It's not so much speed turning into lift. Listen for the prop just before the upset.

Guest bstolle

Concerning the first video:

1. During this rather steep (and fast) approach I seriously doubt that he was running the live engine at max power so Vmca isn't a factor in a low power case as Vmca is below stall speed.

3. Even if he was below Vmca a twin wouldn't roll on it's back that quickly, if at all. E.g. the real C310 e.g. when flown below Vmca rapidly enters a flat spin (same goes for the Milviz C310 btw) and doesn't roll a lot at all.

4. Looks to me as well that he hit an obstacle just before the flare. The sudden pitch increase might be a hint that he saw the obstacle just a tad too late.

5. blue line isn't Vmca

1. During this rather steep (and fast) approach I seriously doubt that he was running the live engine at max power so Vmca isn't a factor in a low power case as Vmca is below stall speed.

3. Even if he was below Vmca a twin wouldn't roll on it's back that quickly, if at all. E.g. the real C310 e.g. when flown below Vmca rapidly enters a flat spin (same goes for the Milviz C310 btw) and doesn't roll a lot at all.

4. Looks to me as well that he hit an obstacle just before the flare. The sudden pitch increase might be a hint that he saw the obstacle just a tad too late.

5. blue line isn't Vmca

The engine surely sounded "wound up" to me. The speed seems high possibly because of high altitude. I think you may be assuming a tad too much with so little information.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

It does look a lot like a collision, but the deceleration isn’t nearly that fast enough IMO. You can see the yaw progress in the last nearly two seconds (and it corresponds with the sound). So I’d be a bit surprised to learn this was a collision. What it looks like is a massive amount of drag from the right side prop. One of the speculations from the Vancouver accident was had the crew made the approach on just one engine the accident might have been avoided. That's if the assumption the faulty engine was still producing power is right.

Is it required for the King Air C90 to be equipped with a Digital Flight Recorder? If so, it's going to be easier to investigate what happened. If not, We will have to wait for the Brazilian Aviation Authorities to investigate, which I don't think wil take less than a year maybe

Alexis Mefano

Is it required for the King Air C90 to be equipped with a Digital Flight Recorder? If so, it's going to be easier to investigate what happened. If not, We will have to wait for the Brazilian Aviation Authorities to investigate, which I don't think wil take less than a year maybe

No it's a normal airplane

Power off,land straight ahead,live to see another day.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

READ: "Vmc Upset"

Vmc Snap Roll

I pulled back sharply on the wheel. The power had not been touched. We slowed very quickly but the speed didn't stop at Vmc. We went through it suddenly. Very suddenly! The airplane snapped violently to the left and we were upside down in an instant. I reacted instinctively, pulling power, whipping ailerons, and stomping rudder all at the same time. I stopped the roll, but now we were on our back, nose down, headed for the ground, 4,000 feet below.

5. blue line isn't Vmca

Yes it will... see my post.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

It's relatively easy to get that behavior in a twin in FS... as long as the FDE is defined correctly. So, no I don't think FS is a detriment to learning to handle an aircraft in that regard.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

It looks in the original video if he clipped a tree!

That was my impression, too.

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB)