Sign in to follow this  
autopilot

How to Taxi in FSX?

From "Regulations For Operation Of Aircraft":

Rule #9: No machine must taxi faster than a man can walk.

Taxying speeds are generally at large airports kept quite low. For example EGGL the limit is 15kts.

In a 747 you usually taxi around 20-30 knots, take tight turns at 10 or less knots.

Whilst you might taxi at 20kts on a straight taxiway with absolutely no possibility of incursions from other a/c you would not like to taxi at 20-30 kts as you say in a 747. You are forgetting its mass, weight and momentum. Also you have to take into account your fuel burn. For example a fully laden 747 will burn more than 1.2 tonnes of fuel just taxying 4000metres!

vololiberista

Didn't we have this conversation, Word Not Allowed? Please quit putting people down because they don't do things the way you like to do them. Be helpful or be quiet.

At what point did he put him down? Word Not Allowed's remarks are not rude but are valid if you look at the history of the op. Also kind of odd thing to tell a forum admin to be quiet.

AP, to learn to taxi why don't you try the default C172 or Mooney first ?...

Hit Shift/Z and you'll get an indication of your taxi speed at the top/left of your screen, along with some other parameters.

Use 'Clear Weather' to avoid wind interferance. Try to keep your speed at 15 knots. Until you have a joystick with throttle use your mouse to move the throttle lever in the cockpit. Once you'll get the hang of it try the default Learjet.

Cheers,

Jan

Jan

Mmh yeah I agree with Word Not Allowed, OP should actually try and find solutions himself instead of asking help for all basic things that can be easily figured out by doing some own work. I remember how I short time ago he asked here us to find him some freeware models with PIA textures, myself found them all with Google in less than 5 minutes but he goes and makes topic into multiple forums instead of trying to find them himself.

And I did actually help him in that case.

I can understand Word Not Allowed's a bit angry, but he always sounds quite harsh when critisizing autopilot. I mean he doesn't have to post any reply to AP's topics at all, since there are others who are willing to help AP, too. I would have done so either if I were faster. And I also have to admit that autopilot is refusing to invest any time in learning the basics of aviation, but keeps on asking question that could be answered by try and error as well(or reading some readme files, whatever).

On the other hand: Asking questions is what these forums are for, right? And there are no stupid questions, but only stupid answers.

By the way (not sure if this'll work for the 747), before I got myself a joystick I always put A/T to N1 hold (think it was about 40%N1) to keep the 737 at a reasonable taxispeed. I know that not done in RW but it's just a sim and just the default 737, so who cares?

Regards

Flo

He didn't call himself Autopilot for nothing, you know.. :Just Kidding:

Jan

Now again problems have come. I've done the taxi. Thanks for this dudes!

Still problem is persists which is the part of Taxi:

I'm unable to attach Jet ways with plane. Also unable to open baggage door plus unable to move three vans. You can see all the things in pics and please tell me how to do this? I'm using Boeing 747-400.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

You need the FSX scenery options on high settings to see the jetways move, then you hit Control+J when in position. Your aircraft should have its nosewheel on the yellow stop line and be straight on to the terminal, like all the other aircraft. In real life there are normally either markers or a series of lights on the wall in front of the aircraft which indicate where to stop for various different aircraft, but in FSX, you can get away with just stopping with the nose wheel on the yellow stop line more or less. To open the doors (assuming they do open on your model), you hit Shift+E and then quickly hit either number 1,2,3 or 4 etc to get various different doors to open.

Your aircraft is too far forward in those pics and is not straight. The jetway can extend and retract a bit and it can rotate a bit too, but you are making life hard for it with where you are stopped.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I read your replies about my post.

Now, you must understand one thing: everything I do is for the quality and enjoyment of other users. What I do, I also take seriously. My intention is to help anyone I can, as I know how things were for me in the beginning, and being there is no fun. But unlike some special cases here, I'm very search-friendly, reading a lot about what interests me, and I try to learn as much about it as I can.

Also, one of the tasks that I charged myself with is, as long as I stay around, is to keep the quality of the forums high, or at least, contribute to it.

I really don't have anything against anyone who comes here asking educated questions. By means of an educated question I mean someone who bothers to learn first himself and ask questions after.

As a comparison, try going to FSUIPC forum asking Pete Dawson something about the FSUIPC functions but not reading the manual. Ha! If you think I'm harsh, then go feel the sound of his replies to people who don't bother to do any of work (yes, I burned myself once... never again).

In the end, I have no patience nor understanding for those who are not ready to do some reading, searching or learning and expect to have everything served on the silver platter.

But I guess there are enough users who are ready to do that.

And to the user telling me to be quiet: do not tempt me. First and last warning.

To Autopilot:

Let me just try something (as a reply to his 2nd post):

I googled "airport parking markings", the very first result was

Link

65 pages, but very easy to see through and very detailed.

Now, how about doing some reading and then asking questions?

Besides, to have detailed parkings, as in real life, you have to put some addon scenery there. Default scenery doesn't usually show where which aircraft is to be parked (all you can do is park after what you think is right). In addons sceneries, there are usually markings for different aircraft types and/or marshallers to tell you how far you must go. A real pilot doesn't know otherwise how far to really park as he doesn't have the top down view of the aircraft like in the sim (only maybe through experience, a pilot could park the plane properly by using peripheral view of his surroundings).

You aircraft is also not straight, by the life of me, I don't understand why - there is a yellow line leading you straight in from the taxiway.

Also what defeats me is, why do you ask on which line to park, yet, on those pictures where you parked, you are way in front of the first line? You should be parked on the line with your wheel!

About opening other doors:

Google search:

"fsx open doors on default aircraft"

2nd result:

Link

To Autopilot:

Let me just try something (as a reply to his 2nd post):

I googled "airport parking markings", the very first result was

Link

65 pages, but very easy to see through and very detailed.

Now, how about doing some reading and then asking questions?

Besides, to have detailed parkings, as in real life, you have to put some addon scenery there. Default scenery doesn't usually show where which aircraft is to be parked (all you can do is park after what you think is right). In addons sceneries, there are usually markings for different aircraft types and/or marshallers to tell you how far you must go. A real pilot doesn't know otherwise how far to really park as he doesn't have the top down view of the aircraft like in the sim (only maybe through experience, a pilot could park the plane properly by using peripheral view of his surroundings).

You aircraft is also not straight, by the life of me, I don't understand why - there is a yellow line leading you straight in from the taxiway.

Also what defeats me is, why do you ask on which line to park, yet, on those pictures where you parked, you are way in front of the first line? You should be parked on the line with your wheel!

About opening other doors:

Google search:

"fsx open doors on default aircraft"

2nd result:

Link

Thank you man. This has helped me.

Of course it did. I did a search for you.

Now that I've looked at your previous post:

http://forum.avsim.n...32#entry2348732

Much like this user, FScamp, to whose post you replied:

Man, you should ashamed of yourself. Everyone can do Google search and I've done it many time too and when I found nothing then I came here in forum. If You don't know the planes then you shouldn't reply me.

Be warned:

Being this disrespectful is by no means a way to treat fellow simmers trying to help you. He even posted a link for you below, and he did help directly, not only googled it for you.

People are trying to help you, one way or another.

Continue this agenda, and I am going to be locking/deleting your threads one after another.

I really don't have anything against anyone who comes here asking educated questions. By means of an educated question I mean someone who bothers to learn first himself and ask questions after.

What's your definition of an "educated question"? If you have already learnt the information from another source...why ask here? I was always under the impression that the only easy question to answer is one that you already know the answer too. Isn't that what forums are here for? How many questions does AVSIM receive on things like which airliner is the best, are you planning on jumping on all of those people?

As a comparison, try going to FSUIPC forum asking Pete Dawson something about the FSUIPC functions but not reading the manual. Ha! If you think I'm harsh, then go feel the sound of his replies to people who don't bother to do any of work (yes, I burned myself once... never again).

...and you think that this is good? He is providing a product (not free by the way) and to "burn" customers for asking questions (even dumb ones) is pretty poor to be honest.

I really do worry about some of the comments by individuals on here, if people are afraid to ask questions because it immediately incurs the wraith of a staff member how do you see that working out?

I would contrast your method of dealing with this type of event (and i do have some sympathy with what you say) to that of Al (Chock) not once have i seen him berate site members for asking even the most banal questions.

Ian R Tyldesley